UKC

Moving to Chamonix with a camper/van

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
wallym 29 Jun 2015
Hi all,

I'm planning to move to the Alps to climb and ski bum for a year or more. I did this before but that time I didn't like the high housing costs. The less I have to work, the more I can climb so that's why I want to keep the costs low now.

I know some people in Chamonix are living in their vans and campers beside the road and that's what I also want to do, but I have no idea in what way this is allowed?
- Do they get dismissed by the gendarmerie sometimes and do they have to move?
- Is it easier to have a stealth camper (van without windows and other exterior camper things) than a normal one?
- Do the more luxury people have their own gas, solar energy, toilet and maybe even internet or wifi (for work)?
- Are there also people who stay on campings (or a locals land) the whole year and what does that cost?
I know chamonix is more expensive than other countries and I'll respect nature. Thanks, thanks!! (PM would also be welcome)
craigloon 29 Jun 2015
In reply to wallym:

I have no personal experience of living in Cham in a van; when a friend and I did a season last year we mixed staying in a gites and rented a flat for a while. However, the vans I saw parked up by the road were in two places: just before the Montenvers railway crossing coming from Cham Sud and just past the swimming pool on the way out. They were there for the whole of the two months we were in Cham, so I don't think they get moved on. However, to tell the truth, it looked like it could be a grim existence. Levels of luxury and scuzziness varied. At least one van appeared to have a wood burning stove!
In reply to wallym:

Out in Cham now. There seem to be a lot of long-term campers on Les Gaillands car park and the road opposite under the trees (handy toilets and buvette on the car park). Also some big motor homes parked in the Grand Montets cable car station car park at the moment, but this will be rammed in the winter.
There's a really shady and quiet car park at La Joux station (where you park for La Joux crag), between Cham and Argentiere, with a couple of Brit camper vans there at the moment. You'd need chains on to get in and out in the winter though.
I think practically though, Chamonix Sud and Les Gaillands area are probably the best bet, although I seem to remember some areas on the way down to Servoz.
Hope this is useful.
 JayPee630 30 Jun 2015
In reply to craigloon:

A wood burning stove, shocking!
wallym 30 Jun 2015
In reply to wallym:

Sounds all good! Thanks for the info!
I will just go with a normal camper, no stealth version and make it luxury as possible and move on when its too grim or dirty. Still have to find out how to get mobile internet at a laptop for a reasonable price. Anyone experience with that in France?

Timmd 30 Jun 2015
In reply to wallym:
There's a facebook group called 'Vehicles for sale or wanted for conversion to living, travelling etc..' which you might find helpful, I think there's bound to be people who have done or are doing what you're thinking about as it's quite an international group.

I'd perhaps be tempted to think of a 'stealth' version as I think it would be less of a target for thieves, as a law abiding person I always think there's probably lots of things in camper vans as people won't always be wanting to take things like their laptop etc with them when out and about.

You could perhaps have your sofa or sofa/bed at the front seats end so light goes into where you sit, and have a roof window above it too with a blind to keep out the heat, and have windows in the back of the van with blinds on for privacy when you're sleeping, so the environment inside is still nice and airy?

I've walked past the odd 'stealth' van with a little wood burning stove flu poking out the top, it looks weird to see wood smoke coming out the top of a van.
Post edited at 11:53
 Timmd 30 Jun 2015
In reply to wallym:

> Sounds all good! Thanks for the info!

> I will just go with a normal camper, no stealth version and make it luxury as possible and move on when its too grim or dirty. Still have to find out how to get mobile internet at a laptop for a reasonable price. Anyone experience with that in France?

It could be worth looking into any cafes in the area which have free wifi or wifi for a nominal fee...or cafes which have space to park close enough for their wifi to reach you sitting in the van?
wallym 30 Jun 2015
In reply to wallym:

thanks again!

The issue of being robbed is a good one. Maybe I'll make a kind of a safe for little expensive stuff and you're right a stealth camper would be the choice for me also.
I've asked for admission on that facebook group, hope to read lots of interesting things!
 gribble 30 Jun 2015
In reply to wallym:

You could try www.SBMCC for a wealth of information and answers to a lot of your questions. £15 to join, but the unanimous view is that it's money very well spent. It helped me more than I would have imagined.
craigloon 04 Jul 2015
In reply to wallym:

For mobile internet, I got http://www.lefrenchmobile.com
interdit 04 Jul 2015
In reply to wallym:

> thanks again!

> Maybe I'll make a kind of a safe for little expensive stuff

Just use a safe, fitted with good bolts.

We have something like this in our van - hidden in a little cupboard at floor level.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sentry-Safe-X075-Electronic-Laptop/dp/B000Z8R73U

Laptops, cameras, gps devices, wallets, copies of passports, etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...