UKC

Wintour's Leap Guides - Advice and shops

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Luke90 29 Jun 2015
I'm in Abergavenny on Wednesday morning for work and hoping to pop out for some climbing afterwards, perhaps to Wintour's Leap. Sadly, I don't yet have a guide for the area and I've now run out of time to order one online before I travel down.

Can anyone recommend a shop within easy reach of Abergavenny and/or Wintour's Leap that might sell me a guide?

Also, any thoughts on the relative merits of South West Climbs versus the relevant definitive for a visiting climber?
 sheelba 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Luke90:
Sorry can't recommend a shop but for a visiting climber I'd get the south West Climbs CC guide as that has plenty to keep you busy. Personally I prefer Shorn Cliff (but it's a bit of a hike in) to wintours but both are good.
Post edited at 22:29
OP Luke90 29 Jun 2015
In reply to sheelba:

Thanks, sheelba. Thoughts on shops, anyone?
Removed User 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Luke90:

The Chepstow Bookshop normally has one. Park by the Church, opposite Tesco (£1), or in Tesco park (free). It's a couple of minutes walk from the Church (you may need to ask direction).

John
 james.slater 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Luke90:

Banana fingers is close by - friendly guys, and they will definitely have all the guidebooks to the area
 The Pylon King 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Luke90:

Yeah if you are just a visiting climber then SWC 1 is definitely a good bet, a very good selection of the area and lots of topos
 thomascarr 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Luke90:

Try Crickhowell Adventure. They had a copy of the CC Lower Wye guide last weekend (though it might be worth calling them beforehand to check). Ten minutes from Abergavenny, a minutes walk from the car park.
OP Luke90 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Luke90:

Huge thanks to all for the very helpful responses.

The Chepstow Bookshop, sadly, sold out at the weekend. Banana Fingers seem to be the easiest option for me. They don't have South West Climbs but I can get the Lower Wye Valley guide instead which will do me nicely.

Thanks again, all.
 mikej 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Luke90:

Apex Outdoor at Berry Hill, very close to Symonds Yat, has some local guide books.
OP Luke90 30 Jun 2015
In reply to mikej:

Unfortunately not South West Climbs, though. Thanks anyway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...