UKC

junk email

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 01 Jul 2015

I always thought junk email was sent by a bot I.e automated software, however I've noticed I don't get any at weekends which makes me wonder.
UK weekends wouldn't coincide with time zones that were nearly +/- 12h so this may slightly narrow it down geographically. And surely if it were automated then it would be more profitable for the junkers / spammers* to have it running 24/7?

Anyone got any insight in to this horrid system?

*cant say spam without thinking Python
Post edited at 08:33
 ByEek 01 Jul 2015
In reply to Pesda potato:

If I were going to spam someone I would try to send it to them at a time they would be likely to check it. So I wouldn't send it in the middle of the night where it will fester and then be deleted straight away without being read. Since using Google Mail I haven't had any spam email. I occasionally pop into the spam folder to remind myself what email used to be like!
OP The Potato 01 Jul 2015
In reply to ByEek:

Sadly I've got both google and hotmail and both get junked
 LastBoyScout 01 Jul 2015

I rarely get junk on my Hotmail account and what little there is is in the junk folder.

I get more junk on my work account - hundreds a week in the spam filter and about 10 a day in my inbox.
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Yeah the junk filter does put a lot in the junk folder but also a few non junk emails, which means I have to go in there to check regularly anyway.
Removed User 01 Jul 2015

Maybe the guy who sits there sending you emails all day is out partying at the weekend?
In reply to Removed User:

That's what I thought! oops just knocked off my tinfoil hat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...