UKC

Change of address & not informing the bank/credit card company

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Harris 02 Jul 2015
If a person moves house, what is the timeline for informing the bank/credit card company of the move? Is there any sort of legal limit.

Example: if I were to move to a new place, but still owned & had full access to my old (unoccupied) place (and consequently my post etc) and didn't tell the credit card company, they probably wouldn't know that I had moved out - they keep sending bills & emails & I keep paying.

Any rules/laws/thoughts on this?
 Indy 02 Jul 2015
In reply to Chris Harris:

I own multiple properties and to be honest I think this is a non-issue as long as you don't try to do anything fraudulent or miss payments and use this setup to go 'missing' etc.
 Lord_ash2000 02 Jul 2015

I've only just informed them of my change of address despite living all over the place for 9 years or so. I wouldn't worry
 LastBoyScout 02 Jul 2015

I think you're supposed to use the address of the place you are actually living at and update them in a "reasonable" timeframe.

Banks and utilities probably don't care so much - DVLA, doctor (if in another surgery's catchment area), maybe other places, will.

However, a mate of mine that lives in Germany uses a friend's house here as his "UK address" for his old bank accounts and so on. As far as I know, it's never been queried.

In your scenario, you're probably fine.
abseil 03 Jul 2015

> If a person moves house, what is the timeline for informing the bank/credit card company of the move? Is there any sort of legal limit..... Any rules/laws/thoughts on this?

Surely bank/credit card companies have their own (differing) requirements for minimum change of address period? You could ask them what it is, then comply with it/ them? We always update addresses in time because we don't want sensitive stuff arriving and us not getting it, plus maybe it being read by someone else.
Post edited at 04:58
 Philip 03 Jul 2015
They only need your address to confrim who you are at the start and to send you bills. If you don't change it and still own the old address it won't make any difference to them. The problem will be if you apply for something that involves a credit search on your new address but you're not linked to it because you haven't told anyone you have credit with. Also if you sell the house you're not lving in at some point in the future you've got to rememeber to change your address on all your accounts.
 JayPee630 03 Jul 2015

Think unless you do something illegal and they catch you and then use the evidence you used an incorrect address to help you do that, then it's fine. I've used c/o addresses and friends places for years and years and never had a problem.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...