UKC

Finally time to train properly

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tonybhoy 03 Jul 2015
After many many years of just pitching up and doing stuff such as races and climbing, I've become resigned to the fact it is now time to train if I want to keep doing what I used to do, if not better. So I'm embarking on a regular detailed training program that will compliment the climbing, running and other sporting activities.
I read recently Neil Greshams opinion on nutrition supplements etc. Protein supplements are a given I'd say. I was wondering if anyone had used CLA and BCAA supplements whilst training. Did you experience a difference/improvement?
 Fishmate 03 Jul 2015
In reply to Tonybhoy:

I would say rather than pay out for protein supplements look to maximise your diet. Learn what to eat and when to eat it in relation to your activity. Replacing glycogen stores with fresh quality carbs and repairing and building with protein at the right time has far greater value than knocking a shake back. I used protein shakes for a while but considered them to be another marketing ploy. Doing the hard work of learning about what I need nutritionally to get me through brought more value to my experience all round. Learn exactly why/if you need all the ingredients in those supplements (or not) and form your own opinion.

If you want to build muscle then BCCA supps might help but for running or climbing I don't see the reason. CLA supps will never replace a good recovery plan, sleep, recovery sessions etc. All depends on the time you have to devote to your goals of course. Essentially, avoid short cuts unless absolutely necessary.

E.g. If you train most days you'll get through a big tub of protein supplement in a week or two. That money will buy you lentils, quinoa and fresh veg for at least the same period and your body will thank you. Throw in meat or fish if that's your thing but you are still quids up. Good luck
 planetmarshall 03 Jul 2015
In reply to Tonybhoy:

Training (and genetics) trump nutrition. Just ask Usain Bolt.

Complicated diets including supplements that no one in the Western world really needs will become harder and harder to stick to. Keep it simple, keep it (mostly) natural. It isn't rocket science.
 pec 03 Jul 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

> Training (and genetics) trump nutrition. Just ask Usain Bolt. >

and possibly some other things?
 Fishmate 04 Jul 2015

100/200m is just pure power so in relation to Bolt you are probably correct but unfortunately the worst example you could have chosen as the OP isn't talking about simplistic 10-20 seconds of activity.

If you are 45 years old and want to train hard you need to look after yourself and that includes diet.
 Fraser 04 Jul 2015

> Training (and genetics) trump nutrition.

Agreed, particularly based on the OP's profile. I am sure he'd gain more from regimented climbing training than supplements and diet, at least for a long while.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...