UKC

How many of us still riding Triples?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 04 Jul 2015

Just to clarify I'm talking road bikes here.
My trek pilot 2.1 came as a 105 triple and I've just carried on with that, now on the standard hollowtech II tiagra triple that I transfered to the Focus Cayo I've just built up. I have ridden a double which works ok with the right cassette but I do like my hills. I'm wondering whether its worth going to a double next time I change the crankset. This seems to be the way the market is going.
Any thoughts or wisdom welcomed thanks
Post edited at 22:38
 Dave the Rave 04 Jul 2015
In reply to Pesda potato:
Triple rings, on road bikes? !
FFS!
You are trolling.
 Fredt 04 Jul 2015

I have a triple on my road bike.
I'm in no hurry.
 TobyA 04 Jul 2015

I bought my current road bike in 2011 and it came with 105 including a triple chainset, it was a fantastic deal and I think that was one of the reasons why - they were already not the done thing four years ago. I know it's terrible uncool and when I lived in Finland I virtually never used the granny ring at the front, but having moved to Sheffield and riding in the Peak it is actually really useful! My CX has a standard compact double on it and when I moved to Sheffield I soon realised I was geared too high on that bike and had to go and buy a new back block (up to 32 I think, previously it was 28 IIRC) to get up some the steep hills on my commutes. That needed a new back long cage back mech too, so having the granny gearing on my road bike has meant I didn't have to worry with that one.
 The New NickB 05 Jul 2015

I've got a 2009 Cannondale Synapse with Tiagra triple, 11-25 on the back. It's my winter bike now, can't remember when I last used the granny.

The good bike has a Dura Ace double with 12-29 on the back, does the job.
 balmybaldwin 05 Jul 2015

Triples are rare in the MTB world too now. In 2012 it was hard to find a top end bike with one, but for xc I like the top end you loose on a mtb
 Dr.S at work 05 Jul 2015

My bike came with a triple three years ago - I occasionally get glances of envy from mates when we do silly days of hills. That said I'm thinking of upgrading to a 105 double - all of my mates manage fine with doubles, the real advantage of the triple is the range you get, but that's offset by 11 speed blocks.
OP The Potato 05 Jul 2015
In reply to Dr.S at work:

True if your bike came as 11spd but I'm not thinking of changing shifters, they're expensive.

I get a good range with triple and 11-25 I don't think it looks any different not to the extent people would look at you odd whilst cycling. Id sat in in the granny on every ride at some point. North wales has good hills
 AndyC 05 Jul 2015

Plenty of discussion out there about triples vs compacts and quite a few folk bemoaning the switch away from the triple. I have a 53-39-30 on my commuter and the granny gets a good workout in the winter snow and ice with studded tyres. But it's getting harder to find replacement parts so I'd make the switch next time, if I were you.
 andy 05 Jul 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

> The good bike has a Dura Ace double with 12-29 on the back, does the job.

12-29? Is it a Shimano cassette?
 Dr.S at work 05 Jul 2015

You can pick up an 11 speed 105 groupset for about £350 - if I do that this year then it will be really hard justifying any further spending on the roadie....
 The New NickB 05 Jul 2015
In reply to andy:

> 12-29? Is it a Shimano cassette?

Yes, but it isn't a 29. I had it in my head that it was, but it's a 28.
 nufkin 05 Jul 2015

> I'm wondering whether its worth going to a double next time I change the crankset. This seems to be the way the market is going.

Never mind doubles, I'm sure I read somewhere recently that at least one company was going back to single rings. Can't remember which one
In reply to nufkin:

Bring back hub gears!
All fine if you live in Holland or similar
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Triple rings, on road bikes? !

> FFS!

> You are trolling.

I assume you're being funny or ironic or something. That being said this is the sort of sanctimonious comment that can make cycling seem petty and joyless. A triple on a road bike is a great idea in the right circumstances. I can get up Winnats 30% quicker and with less awfulness than my buddies on a twin, so why not. I know it makes me deeply uncool (like not wearing a beanie when bouldering on a hot day) but so what.

The other thing that gets me about cycliists who think they're superior is when they refuse to acknowledge a hello or good morning as they cruise past you on Mam Tor or the Buttertubs. Again, that's a bit like someone climbing 7b who doesn't talk to someone climbing 6b. WHo cares.

Yes, a triple is fine if you're going to be doing lots of hills. However I've only been cycling a few years and have never even bought new wheels or handlebars or whatever - I still have the factory supplied bike, which clearly makes me a complete punter.

Brass Nipples 05 Jul 2015

Yep I'm riding a triple. Why would I want to change it? Shifts great, big range, and allows me to find the perfect combination on any road for the cadence I want to ride at.
 Doug 05 Jul 2015
I can remember getting my first triple chainset (on a touring bike) back in the mid 80s, can't see any reason to go back to a double unless it was for a bike to use about town & I lived somewhere flat or something similar
 Wee Davie 05 Jul 2015
I've recently changed my groupset from Shimano 2300 triple to SRAM Apex compact. I've got a 12-32 cassette which actually gives a noticeably lower granny gear than my old triple set up. I was expecting that fewer gears might mean I would notice jumps between ratios (I'd read a few people say that in various online discussions)- but to be honest I haven't. I don't see any reason why I'd go back to a triple now. I found the compact was easier to set up than the triple too.
Post edited at 18:37
 andy 05 Jul 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

> Yes, but it isn't a 29. I had it in my head that it was, but it's a 28.

Phew. Was going to send in a complaint that nobody told me. Considering a medium cage mech and a 32 for my CX/off road bike for those off road spinny bits, but I can get up pretty much anything on 34/28 (Rosedale Chimney Bank not attempted yet, but Hardknott and Park Rash both ok).
 ro8x 05 Jul 2015
In reply to nufkin:

Indeed, SRAM have made a 1 x 11 groupset. One of the Brownlees used it to win in the recently London Triathlon.

This just reminded me Ive got a triple FD to sell, Ive listed it in FS section now.
 nufkin 05 Jul 2015
In reply to ro8x:

> Indeed, SRAM have made a 1 x 11 groupset

There we are then, OP's problem solved. Although, to really get ahead of the curve, we might all just as well go back to fixies
 LastBoyScout 06 Jul 2015

I've never had a triple on any of my road bikes. At the moment, I have both standard and compact. Before I got the compact, I put a MTB cassette on the standard for a big, hilly ride, but that was it.
 GrahamD 06 Jul 2015

Why not see how you get on pedalling the same gear ratio as a compact on your triple up your favourite hills and see how you like the feel of it ? only you can really judge whether it is 'worth it'.

My older bike has a triple and I like it on the odd occasion I venture into the hills.
 Fruit 06 Jul 2015

I've got a triple on my road bike. Big ring for speedy days and if I ever had to grovel up a hill on the way home the 30 granny ring is waiting . Nicer chain lines too

I've got a (Campag) compact and fairly wide range cassette on both of my bikes. ( 50/34 and 13 - 29 10 sp). Gets me up more or less anything.

When I was in Canada a couple of years back I used my daughters bike that had a 30 - 42 - 52 triple with a 12 - 25 9 speed cassette, and on a fairly undulating ride ( there are no flat roads near where she lives) I found I was up and down the chainrings much more frequently than normal. Furthermore her Shitmano Sora front shifter was faulty, and I was having to faff with the cable adjusters to be able to use all 3 rings. Apart from the highest gear - which I'd need to be doing well over 30mph to be able to use anyway, I have a more user friendly set of gears on my double and compact.
 Rog Wilko 06 Jul 2015

What no-one seems to have mentioned is the excessive difference in the sizes of the chain rings on the current doubles. I have a 46/36/26 on my road bike and the 10 tooth gap is as much as I want. When I've ridden other bikes with a double I've found a change at the front gives you a distressingly large cadence change. Living where I do the abrupt changes in gradient mean the I use the front changer a lot and a 10 tooth change is just right - I would hate a bigger gap as I would lose too much momentum when changing down. There's one dip where I go from the big ring to the smallest in the space of about 20 yds.
Interesting in reading this thread to see how important it is to some folks to have the fashionable kit. Good for business, I suppose, but what happens to practicality? It's like fashion for black garments for cycling. You don't look very fashionable in your coffin.
 Phil79 06 Jul 2015

The chain set/ratio debate is about to get more confusing (or less so depending upon your views) with the introduction of the 'semi-compact' 52-36 t.

Id argue that with the range of double chain sets now available (53-39, 52-36, 50-34) coupled with the various wide range cassettes (12-25, 11-28, or 11-32) triples are probably unnecessary, and the lower weigh and simpler shifting of a double is probably the way to go.

Still, I wouldn't sneer at anyone riding a triple as some roadies seem to, each to there own and if it works for people then fair enough. I've got a 50-34 and 12-25, and there are times when I'd like a slightly lower gear. I might try an 11-28 when my cassette wears out.
 Phil79 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> What no-one seems to have mentioned is the excessive difference in the sizes of the chain rings on the current doubles. I have a 46/36/26 on my road bike and the 10 tooth gap is as much as I want. When I've ridden other bikes with a double I've found a change at the front gives you a distressingly large cadence change.

That is certainly one down side to a double. I often shift down several cogs at the rear, at the same time as shifting up at the front, to compensate.
 Fraser 06 Jul 2015

I do and can't imagine going to a double. I think mine (on an XC) is 52 x 42 x 30. I'd guess I use the granny ring at some point on about 80% of the times I'm out on it.
OP The Potato 06 Jul 2015

The tidier chain line is something Ive pondered often, especially with those newer 1x10 or 1x11 (MTB usually) there must be a lot of lateral strain on the chain.
 Ciro 06 Jul 2015

Horses for courses I say... if you like your triple stick with it.

I have a triple on my "all-purpose" focus variado (rear pannier attached for commuting/touring) and a double on my focus cayo which is set up for triathlon/TT riding.

I don't use the granny ring on the variado all that often, but when I do need it (a tour of the lakes springs to mind), it's useful so I see no reason to change.
 Baron Weasel 06 Jul 2015

I have a triple on my bike and wouldn't change it for riding in the lakes as I can get up just about everything (and hate pushing).
In reply to Frank the Husky:

> I assume you're being funny or ironic or something.

I suspect it's the influence of the Velominati Rules. ("Rule #47 Drink Tripels, don’t ride triples")

Too many people take them too seriously, I think. I know I did when I first encountered them (thinking WTF?), but I've been persuaded that they are intended to be tongue-in-cheek...
OP The Potato 06 Jul 2015

Ooh dunno about having a triple, a pint of ale mid century is good though
 Sean Kelly 06 Jul 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

> I suspect it's the influence of the Velominati Rules. ("Rule #47 Drink Tripels, don’t ride triples")

The guy that wrote those rules needs to get on his bike more often!
 Brass Nipples 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Phil79:
> Id argue that with the range of double chain sets now available (53-39, 52-36, 50-34) coupled with the various wide range cassettes (12-25, 11-28, or 11-32) triples are probably unnecessary, and the lower weigh and simpler shifting of a double is probably the way to go.

The way I read your above paragraph is that you seem to think a triple is not as good as a double, and the latter is to be preferred. I'd say the triple is is actually he better choice as it actually means you end up shifting less , rather being between ratios and having to shift both back and front constantly on the terrain you find in the UK.
Post edited at 20:09
 The New NickB 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

> I'd say the triple is is actually he better choice as it actually means you end up shifting less , rather being between ratios and having to shift both back and front constantly on the terrain you find in the UK.

I'm not sure, it probably depends on your style of riding. I ride in the South Pennines mainly, so rides tend to range from undulating to hilly. Despite that, probably 95% of my riding is done on the 53 ring. I'm more grinder than spinner, but with a 28 on the back, a triple seems like unnecessary complication.
In reply to Orgsm:

> the triple is is actually he better choice as it actually means you end up shifting less

I'm very undecided. I have a triple on my 2004 Trek whateveritis and when I rode that all the time I preferred it to riding my dad's double. Then I got a 2010ish Alpha 2.1 with a compact and got used to that. Now I ride my dad's old bike with a compact and I can't stand the old triple! Might have something to to with newish Ultegra vs oldish 105 shifters/derailleur...

I would say I prefer a compact double to a traditional double, but I have a fairly high cadence most of the time.

In reply to Sean Kelly:

ps. My M&D grew up in Morecambe, and would think nothing of riding to the Lakes for an evening. My mum had a fixed wheel, 531 bike. Dad was a bit flash; he had a freewheel.

Sometimes, in comparison, I think I ought to apply Rule 5...
 Phil79 07 Jul 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

> The way I read your above paragraph is that you seem to think a triple is not as good as a double, and the latter is to be preferred. I'd say the triple is is actually he better choice as it actually means you end up shifting less , rather being between ratios and having to shift both back and front constantly on the terrain you find in the UK.

I think its almost impossible to know if you shift less with either and double or a triple, unless someone here has both a triple and double and rides both regularly on the same terrain and can comment.

What I do think is doubles are lighter, shifters and front mechs are mechanically simpler, you have less redundant or duplicated ratios, less chain rub, and you can actually use a higher percentage of available gears without cross-chaining.
August West 08 Jul 2015

> Ooh dunno about having a triple, a pint of ale mid century is good though

It's Tripel ale, not a triple measure of spirits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripel
 thedatastream 08 Jul 2015

My Decathlon Triban 3 came fitted with a triple which is needed as it only has a 8 speed block on the back!
 LastBoyScout 08 Jul 2015
In reply to thedatastream:

> My Decathlon Triban 3 came fitted with a triple which is needed as it only has a 8 speed block on the back!

Not sure I'd agree with "needed" - my old hack bike is a 7-speed double and I've never considered that to be a problem, even over Ditchling Beacon.
 thedatastream 09 Jul 2015
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Suit yourself. I need it!
 Jimbo C 09 Jul 2015

I ride a triple Sora groupset. Can't remember figures off the top of my head but on the hills around here I still find myself grinding slowly on the ups and spinning out on the downs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...