UKC

rock climbing giro air attack?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Thatoneguy 05 Jul 2015

What do you guys think about rock climbing with the giro air attack? It looks mighty similar to many of the foam helmets. Looks like it would be great? What is your opinion?
Post edited at 12:57
Thatoneguy 05 Jul 2015
In reply to Thatoneguy:
Here is the link to the helmet
http://www.giro.com/eu_en/air-attack.html

Thatoneguy 05 Jul 2015
In reply to Thatoneguy:

Anybody? I know this topic has been done over many times but this helmet looks quite different than the normal cycling helmet.
 Yanis Nayu 05 Jul 2015
In reply to Thatoneguy:

Try getting your mum to drop a brick on your head from the bedroom window and see what happens.
Thatoneguy 05 Jul 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

What the hell does that have to do with anything?
Thatoneguy 05 Jul 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Do you really think there would be a difference if you dropped a brick on it? I have read plenty of climbing stories of 'petzl meteors´being destroyed by something dropping on it.
 Otis 05 Jul 2015
In reply to Thatoneguy:

Personally, I look upon any sort of helmet as a tool that clever people have spent time designing for a specific sport and to do a particular job (i.e. defend against a particular magnitude of impact, potentially on a particular surface, to disperse several small impacts vs. one biggie etc.).

The style, location and type of impact cycling helmets are designed for (I'm no expert, but I imagine one major hit, with potential high-risk zones on the front, back and sides) is different to what climbing helmets need to withstand (lots of light-ish bashing and tapping and maybe the odd heavy thing dropped on the top of it???).

I like my head, so I buy the right tool for the job
Thatoneguy 05 Jul 2015
In reply to Otis:

Sounds reasonable and understandable... It would be interesting if someone would do similar tests that they do on climbing helmets on a helmet like this or similar...just to see =) I wish I had the money to do it!
 jkarran 05 Jul 2015
In reply to Thatoneguy:

The straps may be different, IIRC climbing helmet buckles are designed to fail so you can't hang yourself in it.

Apart from that it looks good, it clearly has the ventilation to make it tollerable on a bike, it'll be of very similar construction and materials to many climbing helmets and intended to absorb similar impact energies. It might fail the rock dropped on top test but that's not what I really want a helmet for; for uk cragging I'm *much* more concerned about dashing my head on the ground/rockface in much the same way I would if I took a high-speed spill off my bike. I know before now I've picked up my bike hat in preference to my certified but basically useless from the front/back/sides hard shell cradle-type climbing hat. Gotta make your own mind up.

jk
 Yanis Nayu 05 Jul 2015
In reply to Thatoneguy:

> Sounds reasonable and understandable... It would be interesting if someone would do similar tests that they do on climbing helmets on a helmet like this or similar...just to see =) I wish I had the money to do it!

You could just buy the right helmet then instead.
 Wsdconst 05 Jul 2015
In reply to Thatoneguy:

Looks good,are you asking this so you could use one helmet for two sports instead of having one for each.i'd always try to use something specific to the particular sport I'm doing but that's just me. I also think it would depend on where use were using it .
 Yanis Nayu 05 Jul 2015
In reply to Thatoneguy:

> What the hell does that have to do with anything?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that you should put the helmet on before she lets go of the brick. I thought you'd work that bit out, but we live in an age where someone needs to tell you your coffee is hot, so I guess I shouldn't take such things for granted...
In reply to Thatoneguy:

> Sounds reasonable and understandable... It would be interesting if someone would do similar tests that they do on climbing helmets on a helmet like this or similar...just to see =) I wish I had the money to do it!

They have - Petzl Meteor III is certified for both climbing and cycling (and watersports, though there are design issues with back of neck coverage).

Now just ask yourself why the other helmet manufacturers haven't done the same test/certification - maybe they didn't have time/money/market, or just maybe they did the tests and failed.......
In reply to jkarran:

>>......rock dropped on top test but that's not what I really want a helmet for; for uk cragging I'm *much* more concerned about dashing my head on the ground/rockface

Really? You must be climbing very different crags to me then!
I'll happily consider leading on a clean, quiet single pitch with no helmet, but I'm far more worried when I'm seconding a multi-pitch classic that someone above me will drop a loose rock / gear, or just that I'll bang my head on a misjudged overhang.
Thatoneguy 05 Jul 2015
In reply to Wsdconst:

I am only asking because I already own a climbing helmet and the Giro Air Attack. I plan on going on a trip where I will be mtb'ing and some easy climbing. I am not sure I have room for both helmets...
Thatoneguy 05 Jul 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Heh (pause) heh.
 gethin_allen 05 Jul 2015
In reply to Thatoneguy:

It may be fine for blunt impact but may fail penetration tests. Who knows.
 Wsdconst 05 Jul 2015
In reply to Thatoneguy:

Really it's your choice, without going through all the test results it's hard to say if it's suitable.personally I'd say the impacts they could withstand would not be that different,similar materials,style,shape etc but they're probably designed to take that force in a different way.actually thinking about it loosing your grip while climbing and taking a big swing into a rock face and falling off your bike into a curb/wall wouldn't be that different.so like I said it's your choice.
 Steve nevers 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Thatoneguy:

Thought this was going to be about a lead climber getting mauled by a drone!
bobdelon1900 06 Jul 2015
sounds like a scene from a science fiction blockbuster
 jezb1 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Thatoneguy:

> I am only asking because I already own a climbing helmet and the Giro Air Attack. I plan on going on a trip where I will be mtb'ing and some easy climbing. I am not sure I have room for both helmets...

I'd get myself a Meteor in your position assuming the new ones are still rated for climbing & riding.
 jkarran 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> Really? You must be climbing very different crags to me then!

Well that's one possibility for sure. Another is we have different experiences and perception of risk.

jk
cb294 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Thatoneguy:

Will do the job, but may be less comfortable (strap positioning) than a proper mountaineering helmet. I would not fuss too much about the specific tests, having a rock dropped on you or falling head first into a ledge is not that different from dropping off you bikes and hitting a curb or tree.

Guess I would not wear my road racing helmet for climbing, but have used it for downhill skiing. I don´t go on piste skiing often enough to justify buying (and regularly replacing!) a ski helmet, and use my regular climbing helmet for ski touring, where the main danger is more like in climbing rather than the hard side impacts expected when crashing on an icy piste (which actually is more similar to road cycling!).

CB
 Howard J 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Thatoneguy:

If it's a question which one to take, consider which activity you'll be doing most of and where the greatest risk is likely to come from. Also, which would make you feel more vulnerable, wearing a climbing helmet for cycling or vice versa?
Thatoneguy 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Howard J:

Some good things to think about. Thanks for the input everyone!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...