UKC

Lightning strikes kill two in Brecon Beacons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 liz j 05 Jul 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Lightning storms have always been my biggest fear in the mountains, and the ridge of the Brecon Beacons is very exposed. I could see the storm brewing from across the Severn Channel but it didn't look to be producing much lightening. Tragic bad luck for all involved.
Removed User 05 Jul 2015
In reply to liz j:

Mine too. I know more people who have either been struck or had close shaves with lightning than people who have been avalanched.

Dave the Rave 05 Jul 2015
In reply to Removed User:
Yeah. Many years ago, I sat out a storm on Tryfan instead of getting down as quickly as possible. It was a tricky one. Shelter from large hailstones, or descend.
 Rob Exile Ward 05 Jul 2015
In reply to liz j:

We were a bit further east in the Black Mountains at the time, and even there it was bit grim. Terrible, unavoidable bad luck.
 BnB 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Trangia:

I've been close (<10m) to a lightning strike and it was the scariest (and loudest) event of my life. Left me with a real fear of ever repeating the experience.
OP Trangia 06 Jul 2015
In reply to BnB:

> I've been close (<10m) to a lightning strike and it was the scariest (and loudest) event of my life. Left me with a real fear of ever repeating the experience.

I know what you mean. I've been close to a srike twice. Once high up in the Drakensburg Mountains and once when leading a horse pulling a cart in Ireland. I was walking in front of him holding his head to try and stop him from bolting due to the storm when a telegraph pole right next to us got struck.

As you say, terrifying and very loud. I was temporarily deaf for some time after each event.
 Phil1919 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Same here on Snowdon, as a student. Very scary.
abseil 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Phil1919:

> Same here on Snowdon, as a student. Very scary.

Same here on a glacier, repeatedly during an electric storm, terrifying, feel powerless.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...