UKC

Saloman Speedcross 3

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andymac 05 Jul 2015

I've been wearing these for a few years now ,but today was the first time I ran down a hill in anger in a brand new pair.

Bloody hell !

Nearly broke my ankle about 6 times.

Was reduced to walking down the last mile as I had so little faith in them.and still felt unstable.

Back to battered old Speedcross 3 with no tread for me .or the Inov8 Xtalons.
Post edited at 18:53
 Ridge 05 Jul 2015
In reply to andymac

What was the issue, was it grip, stability, fit etc? Not had an issue with mine, (apart from my natural clumsiness), have they changed the design?

andymac 05 Jul 2015
In reply to Ridge:

> In reply to andymac

> What was the issue, was it grip, stability, fit etc? Not had an issue with mine, (apart from my natural clumsiness), have they changed the design?

Stability

Not worn such new Speedcross on the hill.usually the soles are half worn before the shoes are designated as hill cannon fodder.

I'm putting it down to the ridges on the soles being unworn ,hence flexible on very rocky terrain .grip wasn't a huge requirement today .
 Ridge 05 Jul 2015
In reply to andymac:

They do feel a bit sketchy on Tarmac, as you say the thin ridges do flex. It's mainly mud where I am, so not so much an issue for me.
 luckyjim 06 Jul 2015
In reply to andymac:

I ve used Salomon Fellraisers on hill runs... fine on mud and trails but treacherous on wet rock ! I had the broken leg to prove it : (
 yorkshireman 06 Jul 2015
In reply to andymac:

Strange - I was blown away by the traction they offered - my first time out was on a local 10km loop I do including some steep, technical descents and the spring snow melt made quite dicey but they really made a different.

I've also worn them in a couple of short, fast races and been pleased - they fit like a slipper, although I think they will be uncomfortable on longer stuff (post 20km).

I'm careful not to wear them on any runs that might have significant tarmac stretches as am quite wary of wearing down the lugs. They're my first pair though, I'll see how things develop as they wear down.
 keepguessing 25 Jul 2015
In reply to andymac:

maybe somthing to do with the massive heel, try running in high heels.
 StefanB 25 Jul 2015
In reply to yorkshireman:

> Strange - I was blown away by the traction they offered - my first time out was on a local 10km loop I do including some steep, technical descents and the spring snow melt made quite dicey but they really made a different.

I suppose it depends on the terrain. IMO, they are very good alround trail shoes. For pure rock or grasssy hills, there are probably better options.

> I've also worn them in a couple of short, fast races and been pleased - they fit like a slipper, although I think they will be uncomfortable on longer stuff (post 20km).

I have worn them for a 80k race in the alps and they were comfortable all way round (well as comfortable as any shoe can be after that many hours).

> I'm careful not to wear them on any runs that might have significant tarmac stretches as am quite wary of wearing down the lugs.

Yes, wearing them on tarmac does not make any sense. They do wear down really fast.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...