UKC

F and PD route recommendations for Charmonix/Mont Blanc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tjin 05 Jul 2015
Hallo everybody,

My Alpine skills are getting rusty so I have decided to go to the alps and get back in to shape with some simple F and PD routes at the Mont Blanc range. Any recommendations, preferabily without the need to take the lift.

Alo any good recommendations for guide books? (English, my Frensh is rubbish).

Thnx!
 peterot 05 Jul 2015
In reply to tjin:

Mont Blanc, easy ascents and glacier hikes. Francois Burnier Dominique Potard. Vamos Guide. Great little book in English. Need a partner?I'm looking at heading out in Sept. to do the same grades.
 PeterBlackler 05 Jul 2015
In reply to peterot:
Same book reference posted at same minute..!
Post edited at 20:25
 peterot 05 Jul 2015
In reply to PeterBlackler:

Great minds eh?
 peterot 05 Jul 2015
In reply to PeterBlackler:

And my name's Peter too!
OP tjin 05 Jul 2015
In reply to peterot:

Thanks for the advise. Didn't knew that one yet. I found a lot of frensh ones. I'm climbing later this month, so can't help join you in september. (unless i get fired after my trip, in which case i will head back to the alps. The fired part happend to a coworker...)
 Mark Haward 06 Jul 2015
In reply to tjin:

Walk up and bivvy by Albert premier hut. Several routes from there. Lift up to aiguilles rouges but spend several nights camping. Play on mer de glacé. Normal route up Mont Blanc can be done without lifts.
In reply to Mark Haward:

+1 for Le Tour glacier via Albert 1er hut. Aig du Tour, Tete Blanche, Petite Forche all in the grade range. Bivvy shelters on the col du tour if I remember.

Another option is to take half the Grand Montets lift to Lognan, then walk up to the Argentiere glacier. Bivvy spots on that side (i.e. river left). Petite Aig Verte via the Demi Lune would be doable from there (slightly longer than usual!) and Aig Argentiere. I haven't done the Tour Noire further up the glacier, but I've heard reasonable reports.
 thomm 08 Jul 2015
In reply to tjin:
Agree the Albert Premier would be one good base. Another option is to walk into the Couvercle (adventure in itself) and climb Pt Isabella. The Mont Blanc Range by Laroche and Lelong could be a useful addition to other guidebooks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...