UKC

Amazing weekend in the Lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Heike 06 Jul 2015
I can't believe our luck...after being woken by a thunderstorm at 5am in Dunblane on Saturday, we managed to get to the Lakes by lunch and climbed on Gimmer all day till 8pm! Not ONE other party in sight. Nobody on the whole cliff. Then we went to Bright Beck Crag on Sunday for a couple of routes and then Pavey Ark till 3pm when it started to bucket. There were no other climbers on any of these crags at all. How unusual, the Lakes to ourselves.

BTW Bright Beck is lovely, but deserves a bit of a scrub on the harder routes (in case anyone fancies....)
 deacondeacon 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Heike:

Similar to us. Thought we were going to die in the thunderstorm Friday night. Then a dry day on the Napes (Apart from the first route up the needle). Followed by a day at Buckbarrow. Cracking weekend.
 Simon Caldwell 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Heike:

We were doing the Saunders so weren't climbing. I expect a lot of people were put off on Saturday by the low cloud in the morning (300m or lower), but we saw a few groups at Long Scar (Wrynose) in the afternoon. Not sure why nobody was out on Sunday - the forecast seemed spot on with rain from 2ish so plenty of time for some routes before then.
 Peter Metcalfe 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Heike:

Similarly, we had Gimmer to ourselves on Sunday. Rain started about 2.30pm, just as I was seconding the crux of Whits End Direct! Still, two superb routes in the bag (Intern and WED)

Peter
 Andy Long 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Heike:

> There were no other climbers on any of these crags at all.

>Of course not;

a) You've got to walk to them.

b) They're too big to bottom-rope.

Ann S 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Heike:

I walked up to have a look at Bright Beck crag a few weeks ago on a dry day to see if it would suit me and my partner. It was beautiful quality rock forming a steep slab, but the crag was pretty minging -I think it faces north east. It would certainly be worth interested parties taking some brushes up and giving it some TLC. There won't be queues to get on it and the whole of that little side valley has fabulous rock for bouldering.
 spenser 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Andy Long:

Bollocks, Raven Crag had at least 3 teams on it on friday night, was absolutely rammed on saturday as was White Ghyll on sunday. Had there been a better forecast/ no time constraints on my weekend I'd have been straight up to Gimmer on saturday morning. I get out pretty regularly and 90+% of the traffic I see on routes is leader/ second teams so you're doing British climbing a massive disservice with statements like that.
 Bob 06 Jul 2015
In reply to spenser:

I think you've just been had!
OP Heike 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Ann S:

Yes, the rock was lovely, really bubbly rock, but as you say could do with some brushing. The moss was mainly dry and would probably come off quite quickly with a bit attention. Lovely quiet spot, too.
 Ann S 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Heike:

And another little slabby crag in the new Langdale guide worth a visit for the low graders is Stone Age crag on the way to Pike o Stickle.
Clauso 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Heike:

There's definitely something odd going on in Cumbria. I've had Castle Rock of Triermain pretty much to myself, for the last few years now. The Overhanging Bastion area seems to be particularly neglected. Madness!
 Mark Eddy 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Heike:

On Sunday most of the climbers were on White Ghyll. Never seen it so busy, but great to see so many out enjoying the top quality climbs there.
OP Heike 07 Jul 2015
In reply to A Mountain Journey:

Great choice for us to go to Gimmer, Bright Beck and Pavey then I was just amazed, usually Gimmer and Pavey are heaving, I think it's the first time in my climbing career I had them to myself on a weekend and that goes back a few years ...!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...