UKC

Please download a first aid app!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greasy Prusiks 06 Jul 2015
A friend of mine asked me to download the British Red cross first aid app after it helped save her life in an emergency. Thought I'd post it on here, try and get a few people to do the same.

It's a really good app that tells you what to do with a casualty in an emergency. Even if you have first aid training it's easy to forget in the heat of the moment.

Like I say it did genuinely save her life and it's free to download. Much appreciated if you'd give it a go.

Cheers,
Greasy
 Oldsign 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Thanks for that! The Baby and Child app by the same developer looks really good too.
 SteveD 06 Jul 2015

Or support the organisations by paying to go on a course run by them and get some proper training.
 Fraser 06 Jul 2015

Woooah, cool your jets old bean. I think you're not practising what you preach, ie take his comment at face value. It's a fair enough suggestion. The glass is half empty or half full, depending on your perspective.
 deepsoup 06 Jul 2015
You're right of course, but also possibly overreacting a tiny bit.
Post edited at 13:34

Yeah I was over reacting apologies for that all. Still a bit upset by the whole incident to be honest (though I wasn't there). I've deleted the post.

To reiterate the old post.
By all means take a first aid course that's the best solution. But regardless of whether you have/ will/ won't this is a really easy thing to do that may just help someday.
aultguish 06 Jul 2015

Thanks very much for pointing me towards this Greasy.
As someone who has held a First aid Certificate for aslong as I can remember, I see this not only as an aid for on the spot help but as a great revision tool also.
Many thanks
 Timmd 06 Jul 2015
In reply to SteveD:

> Or support the organisations by paying to go on a course run by them and get some proper training.

That too, use the app in the short term and go on a course.
 marsbar 06 Jul 2015
In reply to SteveD:

No one is suggesting this instead of training, more as a reminder of your training.
 marsbar 06 Jul 2015

I have had a go with it. It has training stuff and little tests as well as emergency help. I think it might be useful for Scout leaders to use alongside the usual training.

I downloaded this and a similar St John's app last year. They're quite nice, but, essentially, they are books. They missed the opportunity to use the computer to deploy some expert-system-assisted triage, to guide a trained first aider (or novice) down a diagnosis tree for common ailments. By presenting a list of first aid treatments for major ailments, they have already assumed the first aider is able to do primary diagnosis. I think I would have preferred a tree-based system (or at least an option to explore one), using the basic 'Breathing, Bleeding, Brain, Burns, Bones'.

The St John's app boots into 'Emergency' mode. The Red Cross app boots into 'Learn'. A simple difference, but could it be important; if you're not in an emergency situation, that extra step to switch to 'learn' isn't a problem. If you're in an emergency situation, you want the fewest steps possible.

Again; they're useful apps, and I have all three on my tablets, but they could be so much better.
In reply to marsbar:

Not sure who is disliking your posts; maybe because you're suggesting it could be used to complement training. I don't see why anyone would object to that; after all, the Red Cross app has specific Learn, Prepare and Test modes, so it would appear the Red Cross would support its use as a training complement.
 marsbar 06 Jul 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

I don't know either. Some of my posts are contentious but these?
 Dave B 06 Jul 2015

I'm Working on it...

In reply to Dave B:

Good man. Very few 'book oriented' organisations have grasped the opportunity that mobile computing presents; I was thinking about the possibility of interactive field guides on my Psion, 20 years ago...
 Fraser 07 Jul 2015

Just downloaded this app and I have to say that froman initial inspection, it looks great. As a one time first aider, it's a good reminder of lots of things I've forgotten since last doing the course.

Oh, and have a bump.
 SteveD 07 Jul 2015

OK I may have missed a post here and my post may have been a bit sparse sorry if it caused offence.

Glad your friend is OK
In reply to SteveD:

That's OK don't worry about it.
 The New NickB 07 Jul 2015
> Not sure who is disliking your posts;

I wouldn't waste any time trying apply logic to people's habits with the dislike button.
Post edited at 15:40

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...