UKC

Child friendly crags bristol

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 minty1984 06 Jul 2015
Hi

I am looking to take my nephew and his friend climbing this weekend so I am after some advice on a child friendly crag where I can easily setup some top ropes for the 2 to have a play around on? they are both 10 yrs old and have only been indoor climbing a couple of times so the routes need to be very easy and quite short? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you
 duchessofmalfi 06 Jul 2015
Try the crag at the car park for Goblin Comb - I'm not sure if the crag or routes are in the guide but it is a suitable venue for what you want.

It is easily top / bottom roped but I seem to remember it is possible for your climber to reach a ledge where it is easier for them to climb up that be lowered off. It is also pretty tall and the rock seems pretty solid (for hereabouts) but I think it may get a little over grown in places this time of year.
OP minty1984 06 Jul 2015
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

thank you I will check my book
 Bluebird 06 Jul 2015
In reply to minty1984:

+1 for car park bay at goblin. Tuck into the corner on the left. Stakes and trees to rig from, good for top rope and abseiling not too bad. Make sure you do check for ticks afterwards.
 jimmccall 07 Jul 2015
In reply to minty1984:
Maybe further away, but I had a successful visit to Sand Point, just north of Weston Super Mare, with a couple or junior aged children. Easy access, they liked the venue and there are loads of Mods and Diffs for them to go at. Set ups were ok. Routes short, so not intimidating and meant plenty of turns. No one else there all day, so no problem setting up a few top ropes and leaving them in place while they switched between climbs. Fair amount of low level 'child' bouldering on some of the lumps of rock at the base of the descent ramp too...
Enjoy the day,
Jim

deepstar 07 Jul 2015
In reply to minty1984:

Ubley Warren Rocks A pleasant spot with some very short bolted routes.
OP minty1984 08 Jul 2015
In reply to minty1984:

Thanks for the venues guys.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...