UKC

Family France mountains

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PGD 06 Jul 2015
not sure if I've posted in the correct section
Got some good advice re family skiing at Easter and now need a bit of family mountain advice.

Got 3 weeks in France end of July/August with wife and 5/7 yer old kids. Pyrenees went well two years ago and last year was sea cliff climbing and surfing in Pemroke.

Looking for somewhere in France with nice easy sport routes, hopefully a lake or two to swim in, family biking and some easy to get to high walks ( Pyrenees was great for this). My son did the Col De Tourmalet on his tag a long and my daughter wants to do similar.

Hopefully somewhere that might have other families there or a decent campsite where I can find a partner for some adventures. Rock or mixed fine. Did a fair bit of soloing scrambling and peaks in the Pyrenees.

Any inspiration appreciated from those who have been in a similar situation.

thanks in advance
 PeterBlackler 06 Jul 2015
In reply to PGD:

I'd say Chamonix would be pretty good for what you outline as it's got lots of family type of mountain/valley activities to do.

As you may know, often Cham isn't recommended for people's "first alpine season" as there are (arguably) better areas for this but it's different with family as you're probably not looking to do full alpine style routes

Hilary Sharpe's book Chamonix Mountain Adventures will give plenty of suitable ideas

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chamonix-Mountain-Adventures-Walking-Cicerone/dp/18...

The multi-day lift passes aren't cheap but you can then see a lot of the valley quite quickly and easily

Camping la Mer de Glace is popular with outdoor type families

We (i.e. mum, dad and 11 year old lad) are planning to be in the area for the first half of August too. Plan is for Val d'Anniviers, then Courmayeur and (almost inevitably) Chamonix. Send me PM as you wish

Kind regards,

Peter

OP PGD 06 Jul 2015
In reply to PeterBlackler:

cheers. I know Chamonix well. looking for some other options.
 ChrisJD 06 Jul 2015
In reply to PGD:

South-east Ecrins (which includes Ailefroide) is a family holiday winner for all the things you've listed.
In reply to PGD:

Hi there as some has already said east Ecrins would be great for you,

for sports climbing there are over 3300 routes here five different rock types, and some great family venues with grades from 3 up to 9a (so something for the kids no matter how good they are) there are a range of via ferratas including some for kids with rope bridges and ladders including the normal set up, for lakes there are 5 swimming lakes up and down the durance valley some quite that are locals, others like beach with ice cream etc, also a few remote one that can be swam in.

for walks there are thousands of market trails, the Ecrins has some amazing walks but can be quite steep or there is the Queyras or des Cerces near by 30/40 mins which is stunning.

biking there are not much lift feed stuff but i dont find family's wont that, there are some really nice rides for familys like along the side of the Guisane.

there is also the marmot road, as small area where the marmots are so friendly they come out to say hello and get stroked.

we normally have very settled weather as well compared to the rest of the alps.

i live here full time and i am happy to help with any questions or advice you have email me at rob@dream-trails.com

cheers
OP PGD 07 Jul 2015
In reply to ecrinscollective:

thanks. It was an idea to go to the Ecrins so looking like we should go there.

Best campsite?

Guidebook to buy?

Has anyone taken small (age 5/7) kids on a VF in the area ?
In reply to PGD:

Hi

There are lots of campsites depending on style you are looking for, eg pool bar or rustic, I like les vigneaux it's the lower of two sites very rustic, with tree for shade, slack lines and swings, a river running through it and well placed for most activitys

The climbing guidebook is Briancon climbs this is a new version out this April. Needle sport has it in or it is very easy to pick it up locally. There are lots of walking guides out there but I wouldn't bother just pick up a few maps when here, if you get a guide and won't some info on the best areas for kids and yourself then let me know.

For via ferrata I have done most of the one around here with kids of different ages, the one you would be looking at is at puy St Vincent, it starts with rope ladders and bridges never gaining much hight going over a river, there are some vertical rung sections like on a normal via ferrata but you have the option to walk round, still on a cable so easy and hard way, to be fair it's mainly the parents that go the easy way. the best place to hire the kit from is kings in vallouise, you can also pick up a free via Verrata guide there or tourist info, there are defiantly some options after that depending on the size of your kids and how happy you are with the rope side of this? If you would like some photos of that via ferrata so you can get an idea, I think I have some somewhere?

There are also some medieval forts that are great to go and look round.
Hope that helps feel free to ask any other questions

Cheers Rob

OP PGD 07 Jul 2015
In reply to ecrinscollective:
Thanks.
For very small kids do you just use snap gates for the VF and keep them on a rope ( I know what I'm doing on VF just no experience with small kids)
 ChrisJD 07 Jul 2015
In reply to PGD:

Hi

I have sent you a PM I hope it makes sense?

The les vigneaux campsite splits in two one side of the road has a pool and bar, the other ( lower) is more rustic, I like the lower, but as Chis says they are both good depends if you won't the pool?

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...