UKC

Berlingo 1.6hdi

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
aultguish 06 Jul 2015
Off to view a 2007 Berlingo tomorrow with the 1.6hdi engine, 40,000 on the clock.
Read plenty on the internet with regards that engine but what are users own experience on here?

Cheers all.
 stewc 06 Jul 2015
In reply to aultguish:

I have a 2004 2.0hdi Berlingo and it's been great. Got 118000 on the clock and starts fitst time every time. Loads of space and nice to drive.
 Dave B 06 Jul 2015
In reply to aultguish:

Love my similar pug partner of similar vintage.

Just starting to encounter a few problems each year now. Battery. Brakes. Wheel bearing. Nothing terminal, but expect the odd £500 bomshell every 2 years or so at this age.
aultguish 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Dave B:

Sounds pretty much the same as my car experiences regardless of make lol
 Rick Graham 06 Jul 2015
In reply to aultguish:

> Off to view a 2007 Berlingo tomorrow with the 1.6hdi engine, 40,000 on the clock.

> Read plenty on the internet with regards that engine but what are users own experience on here?

> Cheers all.

Have been looking into this engine option myself.

Heard some horror stories re newer diesel engine injectors. ( £2000+ repair bills ).

The older 1.9D and 2L HDI engines do not come into this category but the 1.6 HDI possibly does. I am a bit circumspect like you, it was covered in a recent UKC thread, I think the conclusion was , "only really good for 100K miles ".

So, sorry not to answer the question, I only have experience of the 1.9D and 2.0 HDI, bombproof.
aultguish 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Rick Graham:

Cheers for that Rick. Hopefully good for another 60k with regards that issue but always something to keep in the back of my mind.
 Dave Williams 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Rick Graham:

> Have been looking into this engine option myself.

> Heard some horror stories re newer diesel engine injectors. ( £2000+ repair bills ).

Be very wary of the Peugeot 1.6Hdi engine, which suffers from a premature turbo failure problem in all its applications - Ford, Volvo, Mazda as well as Citroen-Peugeot itself. (Speaking from experience here, although the engine's in a Focus.) The engine appears to be highly intolerant of poor, incorrect or missed servicing. Problems quickly arise if poor quality or incorrect grade engine oil has been used or if preventative maintenance hasn't been carried out during servicing. Not so much an issue if buying new, but unfortunately, when buying a used vehicle, a FSH, even a main dealer FSH, is no guarantee that the engine's been serviced in such a way as to avoid premature turbo failure. The older 2.0Hdi is an entirely different engine and far more reliable as it doesn't suffer from the same problems.

No modern diesel engine from any manufacturer is free of issues though as manufacturers try and squeeze more economy from highly tuned (and consequently highly stressed) small capacity engines while on the other hand aiming for much reduced emissions. All modern diesel engines are inherently reliable; the weak points are typically not the engine itself but the ancilliary parts - belts, tensioners, turbos, high pressure injectors, oil pumps, fuel pumps, let alone DMFs and DPFs.

As the Berlingo is mainly sold as a van, don't overlook van forum chatter - often more educational and illuminating than you'd think.

At the end of the day, it's simply a case of weighting up the pros and cons and going for what seems to be the best case option. Personally I would avoid this engine like the plague unless I was buying brand new or it had a FSH from a trusted and long-established Peugeot MD.

HTH

Dave
aultguish 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Dave Williams:

Thanks Dave, very informative.
I'll head down tomorrow with all the right questions.
I've got a clients husband in tow, who is a mechanic and is going to give it a thorough testing for me.
He thinks he knows the van as it's been local from new, so it's a start.
Cheers.
 ByEek 07 Jul 2015

> Be very wary of the Peugeot 1.6Hdi engine, which suffers from a premature turbo failure problem in all its applications - Ford, Volvo, Mazda as well as Citroen-Peugeot itself. (Speaking from experience here, although the engine's in a Focus.) The engine appears to be highly intolerant of poor, incorrect or missed servicing. Problems quickly arise if poor quality or incorrect grade engine oil has been used or if preventative maintenance hasn't been carried out during servicing. Not so much an issue if buying new, but unfortunately, when buying a used vehicle, a FSH, even a main dealer FSH, is no guarantee that the engine's been serviced in such a way as to avoid premature turbo failure. The older 2.0Hdi is an entirely different engine and far more reliable as it doesn't suffer from the same problems.

That has happened to my Ford Focus. Number three fuel injector seals went causing exhaust fumes to leak into the cabin. I left it for rather too long and now (according to threads) soot particles have entered the oil system and are likely to have clogged up the oil ducks that feed the turbo bearing. We have already lost power. I am hoping to flog it in a part ex deal before the turbo goes pop completely.

I am now completely put off diesel engines, especially as we only do about town driving in the main. That said, it has given us about 40k of reasonably cheap motoring (bought with 70k on the clock - now with 115k) but given my last petrol Astra did 150k+ I am rather disappointed.
 BobbyH 07 Jul 2015
In reply to ByEek:

I had exactly the same thing with my Focus - leaky 3rd injector leading to turbo failure and £2000 repair bill. Swiftly followed by the Dpf unit needing a replacement. Got rid as soon as I could but ended up losing £000's on it.

It's not about asking questions about the vehicle - it'll most likely happen sooner or later (most seem to go between 40k and 70k) regardless of how well looked after it's been.

Wouldn't touch that engine with a barge pole

Currently have a Berlingo with the 2.0Hdi engine which drives sweet at 136k
 Neil Williams 07 Jul 2015
In reply to ByEek:

And, if my reading is correct, once the crap has accumulated, any further replacement turbos will probably also fail.

The thing about servicing appears to be that for the oil change vacuuming it out via the dipstick doesn't work. You have to drop it the conventional way, and I think do some kind of flush and sump cleanout. So take it to Kwik Fit and it won't last.

An appalling, not-fit-for-purpose piece of "design". When this kind of thing comes up, I always find it amazing manufacturers are allowed to get away with it.
 LeeWood 07 Jul 2015

We have an 2.0 HDi with 340k km on the clock. It has a turbo problem when accelerting hard - makes me v nervous about overtaking! Apart from that its been a good runner and syill going well but lots of small ancillary kit problematic. Just replacing window winders now. Door locks dodgy ...
 heavy 08 Jul 2015
In reply to aultguish:

I had mine for 5 years great motor few snags with springs but I TOOK IT EVERYWHERE! i have 3 good winter tyres cheap to anyone who lives local Morayshire - it did 200000 plus miles before scrapped.

Would buy another - I miss my "Popemobile "
 ByEek 08 Jul 2015
In reply to Neil Williams:
> The thing about servicing appears to be that for the oil change vacuuming it out via the dipstick doesn't work. You have to drop it the conventional way, and I think do some kind of flush and sump cleanout. So take it to Kwik Fit and it won't last.

Yep. On further investigation I found there is a design fault in the sump meaning you can never totally clean it out without removal. What a pile of crock. Anyway, managed to do a £600 part ex deal on it last night. Fingers crossed it doesn't go pop today!

Dear OP - avoid this engine!!
Post edited at 07:57
aultguish 08 Jul 2015
In reply to aultguish:
Thanks very much folks for all your information, advice, concerns, negatives and positives.
Coming from a family that is quite good with engines, looking at the price, the previous (only) owner, my mate who has worked on it since new, speaking with locals here who have the same engine, speaking with my ex who has had 6 through her business over the years, I bought it.
It is in amazing condition. The price was perfect (unbelievably perfect). Mileage truthful and as it turned out, the previous owner was my dad's friend. Yes, the injectors and turbo will always be a concern, so prevention is needed there, drive gently, don't rag it - especially through the gears whilst accelerating.
Do an oil change twice a year for average mileage. When doing the change, take out dipstick, cap, filter and sump plug....not just cap and plug.
It looks an easy engine to tinker on, so between my dad, brother and I, most jobs should be do-able.
It's only going to be used for climbing and camping trips, both here and abroad. If I come across any problems with it in the future, I'll be straight on here and let folks know, reasons, solutions, cost, possible prevention etc.
Many thanks for everyone's input.
Cheers all
Post edited at 08:52
 ByEek 08 Jul 2015
In reply to aultguish:

Good for you. If you are good for tinkering, it might be worth checking the injector seals once in a while... especially on that troublesome third cylinder. Enjoy!
aultguish 08 Jul 2015
In reply to ByEek:

I certainly will.....it'll definitely always be on my mind that's for sure.
Cheers
aultguish 08 Jul 2015
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Absolutely fantastic Paul, a proper home from home!!
In reply to aultguish:

Yeah, I'm very happy with it!

BTW, I fitted cruise control to mine pretty cheap. £35 for the stalk off eBay. Search for 6242Z9.

You just unscrew the plastic cover at the bottom of the steering column. Click the stalk into the column, then cut a hole for it in the plastic. Took about 10 minutes

You need it activating in the ECU software through a Lexia interface though. If you don't have access to one of those a Citroen dealer can activate it, not sure how much they charge. It only takes a few minutes for the activation though.
aultguish 08 Jul 2015
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Thanks very much for that info, I'll look into that

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...