UKC

Bugette

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 obi-wan nick b 07 Jul 2015
Anyone use the DMM Bugette? I've happily been using the bug for years for everything but I thought the bugette would be better for <9mm ropes so I just bought one on-line. I'm not sure what I was expecting probably a bug with smaller holes but it's not quite as substantial as that - it just seems very small with thin walls - will it get v hot abbing?
Please re-assure me it's fine!!!
 john arran 07 Jul 2015
In reply to obi-wan nick b:

I just used one in Venezuela recently. Held a 40ft factor 2 fall straight onto the belay with no noticeable slippage so clearly no problem with rope grab. Didn't ab on it so can't say about heat dissipation but I used to have an HB equivalent and that never seemed to get too hot so I doubt the bugette would. Best practice when abbing in hot weather though is always to go slowly and try to avoid coming to a complete stop, so that if the device is very hot it doesn't rest on the same part of the rope for more than a fraction of a second.
 StuDoig 07 Jul 2015

I've got one that I lend to folk I climb with if their devices aren't suitable for small diameter 1/2 ropes. Works well for belaying - no issues holding falls or lowering off. Not noticeably hotter lowering off sports routes, though didn't abseil with it so can't comment there.

Cheers,

Stu
 d_b 07 Jul 2015

I used a bugette years ago when I was climbing on 8.1mm ropes. It was fine.
 kylo-342 07 Jul 2015

I use one with 7.8mm ropes. Works very nicely. Haven't abseiled with it though.

I've used one for years, have abseiled on it many times, never had any problem.
In reply all:
Thanks for the replies - probably just need to use it a couple of times and it'll be fine...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...