UKC

HMRC & 'poor pay-slips' from pub employer...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 07 Jul 2015

A friend works in a pub and gets given pretty haphazard pay slips from her employer, essentially scrawlings on bits of paper I gather. Does anybody know if it's possible to ask HMRC to look into the information given by an employer in the absence of decent pay-slips from them as a way of demonstrating the hours worked?

I'd look into it more deeply myself, but I've work & things to do, I thought I'd ask on the off chance anybody knows already.

Thanks.
Post edited at 18:51
 balmybaldwin 07 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:

It's not possible to ask because they don't answer their phones
 Owen Meany 07 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Phone the tax evasion hotline and say you're concerned that the business isn't paying over employee taxes or complying with minimum wage requirements? There's probably a better chance of this being answered than the normal query line.

OM
 Dauphin 07 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Yeah, just call HRMC and ask for a tax code and a breakdown of tax and NI paid whilst in this employment (using NI number), which I fear is likely to be none because HMRC don't accept poorly scrawled hand written notes in lieu of official employers tax and NI records.

D
 Mountain Llama 07 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I believe all PAYE and NI information sent to the HMRC is now via a fully online system, ie fully computerised.

I do not know whether you can establish the hours worked from this information, my gut feeling is no. I would expect this to be on the payslip.

Just make sure you do not rock the boat to much and loose you mate her job.

HTH Davey

OP Timmd 07 Jul 2015
In reply to Dauphin:
> Yeah, just call HRMC and ask for a tax code and a breakdown of tax and NI paid whilst in this employment (using NI number), which I fear is likely to be none because HMRC don't accept poorly scrawled hand written notes in lieu of official employers tax and NI records.

> D

If her employer has filled things in online, would that mean she can quote her NI number to them, and get the amount of hours she's been recorded as having worked for her boss?
Post edited at 21:16
 Neil Williams 07 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I'd wonder if tax was being paid properly, as isn't it now mandatory for employers to use electronic payroll software to supply tax information to HMRC, and all such software would produce proper payslips?
 Dauphin 07 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Why? For what purpose? Just get a letter from employer saying x worked y amount of hours from period n to m. If they wont furnish this then start talking about getting info from tax office - they clearly have not been paying any tax so will be remarkably helpful.

D
 Clarence 08 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:

RTI sent to the HMRC doesn't record pay rates or hours, just the amount paid per pay period. Since they have a blanket refusal to supply any information these days you won't even get the monthly total pay figure out of them. If the info is needed for a court case or tribunal it is possible to force them to give the information but for any other purposes you need to pray that you get someone on the HMRC hotline who despises the system as much as the people who have to use it. Occasionally you will get an "off the record" answer but I haven't managed to get one for years now and I work with dozens of payrolls.

It is worth checking with the HMRC that something has been submitted though, they will be on to that like a shot...
OP Timmd 08 Jul 2015
In reply to Clarence:

Ta, it's one of three jobs she has, the other two being part time conservation. I'll pass on the gist of this thread.

Thanks all.
 Jack B 08 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Another thing to mention to her is that if NI isn't being paid, that might cause pension problems later on in life. I recently learned that a job I had when I was a teenager wasn't paying NI, and as such I'll have to wait an extra two years for my pension compared to my twin brother. At the current rate of government changes to pension schemes I suspect my generation will be expected to depend mostly on a private pension not a state one, but for people closer to retirement it's worth keeping track of those qualifying years.
 Philip 08 Jul 2015
In reply to Jack B:

> Another thing to mention to her is that if NI isn't being paid, that might cause pension problems later on in life. I recently learned that a job I had when I was a teenager wasn't paying NI, and as such I'll have to wait an extra two years for my pension compared to my twin brother. At the current rate of government changes to pension schemes I suspect my generation will be expected to depend mostly on a private pension not a state one, but for people closer to retirement it's worth keeping track of those qualifying years.

You're 9 years younger than me according to you profile and you still think you might get a state pension! I gave up factoring that into the equation 7 years ago. I expect that it'll be means tested at best, and anything you think would be a "nice" addition to state at the moment will probably be enough to mean no state pension at all. But if you do think along those lines, and plan to save enough to be comfortable without a state pension - then you almost certainly won't get one. It's a bit catch 22.
 Jack B 08 Jul 2015
In reply to Philip:

My age on my profile is probably way out of date. But yeah, I'm an eternal optimist.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...