UKC

Looking for Experienced Alpine Mountaineers/Trainee Guides

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Callumjnelson 09 Jul 2015
A friend and I are heading out to the Alps this summer and will be there between the 15th of August to the 1st of September. We are experienced in the UK but have never done any alpine mountaineering. We are both fit and determined to do/learn as much as we can in this space of time.

Just wondering if there is anyone who will be around on these dates who is willing to climb with us and do some routes.

Cheers
 Mark Haward 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Callumjnelson:

Hard to tell from your profile but you may qualify from the excellent value Conville Course. If not there are always people to join with around the campsites or in the 'partners wanted' book in the OHM office in Chamonix town centre if you are heading to that area.
Looking at your climbing profile most routes seem to be sport. So a good start may be to play to your strengths. Perhaps consider some of the alpine rock routes that do not require a glacial approach - there are loads that are bolted and will give you a feel of longer / higher routes. Aiguilles Rouges especially good for this.
Consider getting the Bruce Goodlad book and learning some skills with your mate. Find easy ground to practice moving together - well worth practicing in UK first on terrain you find straightforward.
Snow anchors and axe skills can be practiced in the Aiguilles Rouges. Mer de Glace is great to practice crampon skills, ice screw placements, top rope ice climbing and glacier travel / rescue. Then perhaps head to a wet glacier such as by the Albert Premier.
You may find Saas or Arolla great bases for a first time or, better still, follow the good weather. Have fun!
 radson 11 Jul 2015

I am looking for someone to climb something between the 17th - 21st August. Somewhere between Chamonix and Grindelwald.

Im not super experienced but spent a lot of time on glaciers. What kind of routes are you thinking?
OP Callumjnelson 11 Jul 2015
In reply to Mark Haward:

Great Post Mark Cheers. We have the Bruce Book and intend to learn as much as possible. cheers
OP Callumjnelson 11 Jul 2015
In reply to radson:

Sounds good radson. We are looking to do just basic/classic easy/beginner alpine routes. We are arriving on the 30th of june and think we have sorted out the first couple of weeks so by the 17th we should have the basics.
 jon 11 Jul 2015
In reply to radson:

> Im not super experienced but spent a lot of time on glaciers.

Talk about modest...
 jamesfrome 11 Jul 2015

Just to be clear the routes we are expecting to do for the first two weeks are not 'beginner', we will quickly be hitting AD hopefully under strong guidance and will spend.time practicing glacier skills. By the end of the two weeks therefore we should hold a healthy platform to continue off. If, however, our mentors' plans change, then our proficiency will be beginner level.
 Babika 11 Jul 2015
In reply to Mark Haward:

What a great reply!

Self teaching and practising with a mate (and making mistakes / having the odd epic) is strangely unpopular now. Most folk seem to want to leap straight to a guide which I find rather sad.

Good luck to the OP

radson 11 Jul 2015

from 30th of July? I'm in Chamonix from 8th-17th August, so drop us a line and we can at least catch up for a beer and at the very least talk of awesome climbs.
 radson 11 Jul 2015
In reply to jon:

I must admit the crampons are looking a bit dull of late....very excited to be back in the mountains next month

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...