UKC

The Anti Ticklist

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Moles 09 Jul 2015
It's the antidote to Top 50ism, some inspiration to seek out lesser known excellence rather than the travelled classics. As soon as a route gets logged it's off the list.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=1166

I've started from the north, but I'm going to need some help as I don't have so many guidebooks south of the Wall...

I don't want anything that isn't in a guidebook yet, because there's too much of that to keep on top of it. I've limited the grade range partly for the same reason (and partly out of self-interest).

So, what is begging for some more attention?
 Toerag 09 Jul 2015
In reply to Andy Moles:

Martin Crocker put up a load of 2-3 star E3-6 routes in Guernsey a few years ago, most of which are unrepeated.
Look here:-
Pleinmont Point - Main Wall
La Congrelle
Gull Zawn
Mont Herault Area
Les Sommeilleuses
Portelet Pinnacles
 goose299 09 Jul 2015
In reply to Andy Moles:
Awesome idea.

I don't climb that hard, nor much at the moment due to a small baby but awesome idea.
Post edited at 12:31
OP Andy Moles 09 Jul 2015
In reply to goose299:

Maybe you should put together a similar list of sub-extremes to get psyched
 Casa Alfredino 09 Jul 2015
In reply to Andy Moles:

I'm disappointed. I thought this was going to be a thread about the most god awful routes people had ever done, worthy of putting on a list to avoid, along with tales of horrific epics, injury and near death...
 goose299 09 Jul 2015
In reply to Andy Moles:

If only I had the time.
 Simon Caldwell 09 Jul 2015
In reply to Andy Moles:

Good idea, I may do something similar for punter routes. What are the rules - just anything with 3 stars in your chosen grade range and no logged ascents?
I suspect it'll be a lot harder south of the border...
 gaz.marshall 09 Jul 2015
In reply to Andy Moles:

I definitely know a couple of them that have had repeats - Strategic Arms Limitation at Glenmarksie and The Birch at Meig. Not everyone has a UKC logbook. Especially up here in the wilds of Easter Ross.
 mike barnard 09 Jul 2015
In reply to gaz.marshall:

Yes, a good number of those will have had plenty ascents. Great list though. So many routes there I'd like to do! (Strategic Arms is the only one I have done, and that was on the second)
OP Andy Moles 09 Jul 2015
In reply to gaz.marshall:
Oh I know that, there can't be many *** routes that go totally unrepeated for long - it's a bit arbitrary but what list isn't, and I figure no UKC ticks probably does reflect a relative lack of attention. Plus no grade votes or opinions available on internet demand makes it all a bit more intriguing...
Post edited at 18:16
 Ean T 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Andy Moles:

I don't have a logbook I'm afraid, so this isn't very helpful, but I've done almost 40 of them.
OP Andy Moles 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Ean T:

You don't count
 gaz.marshall 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Ean T:

Or the wilds of Wester Ross.
OP Andy Moles 11 Jul 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
My rules for this list are simple: E1-E5, ***, no ticks in UKC logbook. And nothing which is not yet published in a guidebook (or at least, I'm not going to go looking too hard for these). I think I've done Scotland reasonably thoroughly, with the exception of the Inner Hebrides and Arran, because I don't own that guidebook yet.

It'll be interesting to turf up any that exist in Englandshire or Wales, I'm thinking probably some high and rarely dry stuff in the Lakes, maybe some desperate obscure E5s in Northumberland or Yorkshire, some birdy seacliff numbers from the 80s in the southwest...?
Post edited at 12:46
 Tom Last 11 Jul 2015
In reply to Andy Moles:

What if the first ascensionists has ticked it on UKC, but it's had no subsequent ascents?
OP Andy Moles 12 Jul 2015
In reply to Tom Last:

We shall tackle that hurdle if and when we come to it.
 Callum_Johnson 15 Jul 2015
In reply to Andy Moles:

I'm a big fan of random lists, this is great.
Some additions from the NE, Aberdeen Coast. (All have been repeated but pass the "no UKC ticks criteria")

The Truth Hurts (E5 6b)
Red Planet - The Redshift Finish (E5 6a)
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (E4 6a)

Probably only 3 routes from the whole coast, a testament to the prolific logging of ascents by local activists.

Interesting to notice how big the ticklist would become if E6 was included.
 Simon4 15 Jul 2015
In reply to goose299:

> Awesome idea.

> I don't climb that hard, nor much at the moment due to a small baby but awesome idea.

Have you thought of leaving the baby behind when climbing? It might make things easier and the baby is only going to get heavier, also trying to persuade it to stay on your back when it turns into a stroppy teenager will be a nightmare.
 goose299 15 Jul 2015
In reply to Simon4:

ha ha brilliant.
 Simon4 15 Jul 2015
In reply to goose299:

> ha ha brilliant.

Well certainly most stroppy teenagers THINK they are brilliant (and misunderstood and hard done by of course). The rest of us, including their beleaguered parents, might take a different view.

O
Enjoy your baby while it is cute and adorable, and try not to think of what it will be like later. 'Where the whore moans, there moan I' etc).
 Skip 15 Jul 2015
In reply to Andy Moles:
some birdy seacliff numbers from the 80s in the southwest...?

There are loads at Carn Gowla.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=314
Post edited at 09:57
 goose299 15 Jul 2015
In reply to Simon4:

Oh, i'm really enjoying it at the moment. Even with the climbing taking a backseat
 Mark Kemball 15 Jul 2015
In reply to Andy Moles:

There are quite a lot of unrepeated climbs on the North Cornwall ad Devon Coast - see http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=506 , http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=499 , http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=510 and http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=509 any feedback on any of these routes would be appreciated.
 French Erick 15 Jul 2015
In reply to goose299:

not sure it's what you're after but what about this?
Gog (E3)

quite liked Millenium on Foinaven but I think it's had quite a few repeats now.
OP Andy Moles 15 Jul 2015
In reply to French Erick:

I dunno about Gog. Given no one even knows where it goes it seems unlikely to be *** except to the taste of adventure perverts, but maybe it qualifies for the intrigue factor alone.
OP Andy Moles 15 Jul 2015
In reply to others:
Thanks for the additions, I'll get them in there when I get a chance to use a machine that UKC doesn't think has been used to send spam.
Post edited at 18:20
In reply to Andy Moles:

Great idea Andy, I've added a few routes to the list.
 paul mitchell 16 Jul 2015
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Get yerselves to New Mills,especially when it rains.Apparently there are othe rE5's and 4's apart from Bionics and Honcho;namely,mine.At E3 try Pumpernickel.A belter.
OP Andy Moles 16 Jul 2015

Wow nice one, that saved me a bit of work. And I clearly missed loads in the Highlands and islands despite my claims to the contrary.

In reply to Andy Moles:

TBH, getting over 1/3 of them without direct access to the database to run the query is a pretty good effort!
OP Andy Moles 16 Jul 2015
In reply to paul mitchell:

> there are othe rE5's and 4's apart from Bionics and Honcho;namely,mine.

They seem to be missing from the database, would you mind adding them?

malx 16 Jul 2015
In reply to Andy Moles:

Great idea Andy. I can't think of any that aren't on there but I have done a couple that will need removing now. I'll rack my brains to come up with some replacements.
 Hay 16 Jul 2015
In reply to Andy Moles:
You're such an eclectic eccentric Moles. Love it.
OP Andy Moles 25 Jul 2015

Paul, any chance of putting dividers into the list to break it up a bit, even if it's just Scotland/England/Wales?
 MischaHY 25 Jul 2015
In reply to Casa Alfredino:

This sounds like an excellent thread. Make it happen
In reply to Andy Moles:

No prob's the dividers are in there, you can re-order them yourself or I'll do it on Monday if I remember.
 Colin Moody 25 Jul 2015
In reply to Andy Moles:

> My rules for this list are simple: E1-E5, ***, no ticks in UKC logbook. I think I've done Scotland reasonably thoroughly, with the exception of the Inner Hebrides and Arran, because I don't own that guidebook yet.

Maybe you should get a copy!

You could add a lot of routes to your list.
OP Andy Moles 26 Jul 2015

Nice one, unfortunately at the moment it's Scotland-England-Wales-Scotland so if you have a more rapid method than individually dragging and dropping loads of routes outside the boundary of the screen...?

In reply to Colin Moody:

I know I should. And then go there. But there are so many climbs in the world...
OP Andy Moles 29 Jul 2015

Now in order. If anyone wants to add anything, or point out that any of those routes are actually rubbish, don't exist, or have fallen down, please do.

Removed User 30 Jul 2015
In reply to Andy Moles:

You have missed one brilliant E2 called "go tell the Spartans" and one HVS which is actually a sandbag E1 called "Chicken run". Both on Strathy point and both in North Highlands North.
OP Andy Moles 05 Aug 2015
In reply to Removed User:

Mon now, read the joining instructions.
Removed User 05 Aug 2015
In reply to Andy Moles:

Ok, So "Chicken Run" isn't in the grade range (but could be) and might have been ticked but GTTS is in the grade range and AFAIK has never been repeated (Unless you want to tell me different). You added the three star criteria later in the thread and, tbh it is such a subjective assessment that the star rating should never be applied until there have been at least 3 repeats. As I am the FA of GTTS I'll give it 3 stars now so that you can go and do it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...