UKC

Edinburgh and Brighton - Climbing/cycling/restaurants

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 09 Jul 2015
I'm spending next week in Edinburgh and the following week in Brighton with work and I'm starting to plan my evenings.

In Edinburgh I will be based near to Haymarket Station and I'll be on the seafront in Brighton.

So my questions:

1) Is it worth taking a bike for afterwork road rides in either city?

2) What are the climbing walls like for bouldering (or routes)?

3) Are they easy to get to on a bike or are the roads crap/too busy?

4) Failing that, what about public transport?

5) I'll have a car so are there any bouldering locations that are doable afterwork?

6) Any good restaurants in either place that can be recommended and would come to <&pound;20 per evening?

Any thoughts would be appreciated - thanks!
 RFWilkie 09 Jul 2015
In reply to James Malloch:
Brighton you've got 2 good walls both easy to cycle to.

Boulder Brighton is the better one. http://boulderbrighton.com/

If its a mountain bike there is loads of good riding on the South Downs just a short way out of Brighton, easily doable on a nice summer evening after work. Roads probably equally so.

If you've got a car you can get to Southern Sandstone near Tunbridge Wells in about an hour but its a bit of a trek post work, there is plenty of bouldering.

Food wise many good pubs and restaurants, Giggling Squid for nice Thai, Bath Arms or Hop Poles for goof pub grub.
Post edited at 14:21
 tony 09 Jul 2015
In reply to James Malloch: For Edinburgh:

> 1) Is it worth taking a bike for afterwork road rides in either city?

Yes. It's a compact city and easy to get out of, so there are plenty of bike options.

> 2) What are the climbing walls like for bouldering (or routes)?

Alien Rock 2 is a bouldering wall. It's quite good, and I've always enjoyed sessions there.

> 3) Are they easy to get to on a bike or are the roads crap/too busy?

Yes. From Haymarket, you could put together a route that uses the Water of Leith walkway and avoids roads for the most part, although even the main roads from Haymarket to Alien 2 aren't too bad.

> 4) Failing that, what about public transport?

Don't know, sorry

> 5) I'll have a car so are there any bouldering locations that are doable afterwork?

South Quarry of Salisbury Crags is the only obvious nearby location. You're supposed to have a permit, but I'm not sure how rigorously that's enforced.

> 6) Any good restaurants in either place that can be recommended and would come to <&pound;20 per evening?

Excellent burgers at the Cambridge Bar.
Hi James,

I've lived in Edinburgh for 6 years:

1. There are lots of cycle paths and routes around Edinburgh - just be careful in the inner city due to careless drivers (same story most places though)
2,3,4. Ratho is the biggest centre there is, difficult to access by public transport due to post-tram changes but you can cycle along the canal (45 mins from the centre I think?) There is also Alien Rock 1 for routes, Alien Rock 2 for bouldering and the Edinburgh University Wall which although small is constantly growing and improving and has a great atmosphere. These are all in and around the city or down towards Leith so easily cyclable.
5. You can boulder at Salisbury Crags in the evenings (very limited) or head to Dumbarton (1 hour away), Northumberland (1.5 hour drive) or Dunkeld for sport routes and trad (1 hour 50 mins). Other small local crags include Limekilns, Rosyth Quarry, Aberdour and North Berwick Law - so not really much after work bouldering! It's not the best location for easy access to outdoor crags, but obviously better than Brighton for access to the Highlands if that's important.
6. Edinburgh is chock full of amazing restaurants covering any cuisine you can think of - you won't be disappointed!
Post edited at 14:29
OP James Malloch 12 Jul 2015
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

Thanks for the replies!

I'm now on my way up to Edinburgh sans bike due to various reasons so I'll be aiming to climb at the Alien bouldering wall Monday and Tuesday at whatever time after 5 it takes to get there on foot.

So if anyone is keen then let me know! I'd also be happy with routes if you have a rope and spare harness (or I could hire one).

I could also supply dinner and a beer afterwards providing it came in under £25 in total!

> I'm now on my way up to Edinburgh sans bike due to various reasons so I'll be aiming to climb at the Alien bouldering wall Monday and Tuesday at whatever time after 5 it takes to get there on foot.

> So if anyone is keen then let me know! I'd also be happy with routes if you have a rope and spare harness (or I could hire one).

Just in case you aren't clear since you mention roped climbing and bouldering: Alien 2 is the bouldering wall and it is some distance from Alien 1 which is their roped climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...