UKC

North York Moors Mine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SenzuBean 09 Jul 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Signatoried. And FFS - in a National Park?
 Chris the Tall 09 Jul 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Terrible petition that's high on emotion and low on fact. Not saying I'm in favour of the mine, but I wouldn't sign anything without knowing more details. It doesn't even state where the proposed site is.

How will this devastate local tourism ? If it's an eyesore like the one just north of Staithes then yes it will have an impact, but that one doesn't appear to deter visitors to the area (though stopping for a pint in Loftus might) . But I would expect something built in this day and age to be far less obtrusive. Plus there the issue of the mineral transfer tunnel - will that have a visible impact during construction ?

Been up to that area 3 times in the last year and the scenery is stunning, but at the same time I know that these areas need more than just just tourists.
OP CurlyStevo 09 Jul 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

I'll be honest I posted to highlight the issue rather than promote any particular campaign..

More info
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jun/30/north-york-moors-potash-...
 Jack B 09 Jul 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

The location for the shaft is near Sneaton, about 3km south of Whitby. It is within the national park, but not in the area that I (having grown up a little further south) would consider "t' moor". It is mostly rolling farmland, with some forestry plantations.

To avoid any confusion, the potash is deep. The mine will be deep mining, not open cast. Most of the workings will be hidden deep underground. The shaft-head surface workings will be much smaller than is typical even for deep mines, as the potash will be brought out through a tunnel to Redcar (which is outside the national park). Plant trees around them and they probably won't be visible from anywhere much.

There is a long history and still a certain pride in deep mining in the north of England, mostly from the legacy of coal mining but there is also a deep potash mine about 15 miles away at Boulby. The development will bring 1000 jobs to the area. They are well worth having.

On balance, I would support this project, provided they take a few steps to minimise the visual impact of the surface workings inside the national park. I haven't looked into it enough to be sure that they have, but the fact that the planners approved it makes me think they probably did. These are the same planners who won't let you put PVC windows in your house in some areas of the park, as they are not in keeping with the image of the place.

Besides which, planning permission has been granted, the time for objections is a little bit past. The linked petition wants an inquiry, but I very much doubt an inquiry would overturn the planners decisions unless they find some new information. It looks to me like a waste of taxpayer money.
 summo 09 Jul 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

All the local councils and the national park have approved it. The only people who are still banging the anti drum are those who don't have a local interest like employment or live far away anyway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...