UKC

Green Deal HIF

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
https://www.gov.uk/green-deal-energy-saving-measures/overview

Had a chap knocking on the door informing us about said scheme. A quick Google throws up a few bits and pieces.

Anyone had any dealings with or thoughts about the scheme, or even taken up the offer?

Cheers.
 icnoble 12 Jul 2015
In reply to Stuart (aka brt): I am pretty sure you need to be on some sort of benefit to be eligible.

climbingpixie 12 Jul 2015
In reply to icnoble:

That's for ECO (energy company obligation) not HIF (and only the Home Heating Cost Reduction Target bit of ECO, to be precise) . HIF is a good scheme where you can access government funding for energy efficiency improvements but it's been abused by unscrupulous sales people who have applied for the vouchers and blocked the funding from being claimed by normal householders.

OP: I'd be very suspicious of people door knocking you and offering deals. What sort of energy efficiency improvements are you interested in? There are a few pots of funding/subsidy around and some might be better value than others, depending on what you want doing.
In reply to climbingpixie:

Until the knock on the door we hadn't really considered any energy efficiency improvements, which I suppose is how companies draw people in.

Not got the time at the minute to do much research, but some of what was said by the sales chap was correct but one or two bits seems contrary with information off the government and Martin Lewis's websites.

Might put the brakes on for the minute until I can research in more depth.

Thanks.
 Philip 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

It's the installer that benefits - from the extra work. For the minor things you get the work done and pay it back via the saving to your electricity/gas bill. It's based on theoretical saving - so if you don't make that saving you'll have a net cost each year. The installers doing the work are always expensive, and not necessarily the best - the good installers tend to have enough work anyway.

I had to have a green deal assessment (and new EPC) just after buying our house last year in order to get RHI and FiT payments for 3 new systems I put in (ashp, solar them and solar pv). The green deal is copulsory for this, and was a waste of time, but the assessor knew that - she did both at the same time, the EPC is also pointless - but for another reason. The green deal only makes sense if you, for example, don't have double glazing and couldn't possibly afford to buy it from a reputable supplier the normal way.

Also, watch out for unscrupulous installers finding other "problems" when they do any "free" work.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...