UKC

Bolts on Bat Buttress

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wizzy 09 Jul 2015

Was having a lovely boulder/solo at the brilliant Bat Buttress (Brimham outlying), when I discovered 2 brand new bolts at the top of the crag. I saw the party who must have placed the bolts leave at around 8.30 Thursday evening. They looked to be a group of 4 climbers of around 55-65 years of age. This action is inconsiderate to other climbers and could jeopardise access to the crag. The party also left behind all of their rigging gear.

Apologies for reporting this news
Chris Whitehead, local climber.
Post edited at 21:41
 SenzuBean 09 Jul 2015
In reply to Wizzy:

> Was having a lovely boulder/solo at the brilliant Bat Buttress (Brimham outlying), when I discovered 2 brand new bolts at the top of the crag. I saw the party who must have placed the bolts leave at around 8.30 Thursday evening. They l

S*&^! The bolters found Wizzy before he could finish his post and offed him! Someone call the police!!!
 Fraser 09 Jul 2015
In reply to Wizzy:

> I saw the party who must have placed the bolts leave at around 8.30 Thursday evening. They looked to be a group of 4 climbers of around 55-65 years of age.

I've no real interest in this on a personal level but how do you make the connection between that party being there and them placing the bolts or know it was their rigging gear?
OP Wizzy 09 Jul 2015
In reply to Fraser:

I saw the group using the rigging to top rope a route. The bolts were brand new, implying they were placed very recently.
It's just a shame to see bolts at such a lovely little crag in a beautiful setting
 Fraser 09 Jul 2015
In reply to Wizzy:

Is it not possible someone else placed them and then disappeared earlier or when they saw the group of 4 arrive?

I can understand your concern, I'd be upset too but there is the possibility that you're making a connection when there is none.
OP Wizzy 09 Jul 2015
In reply to Fraser:

I see where you're coming from
It is a shame that the bolts were placed there though
 Dave Musgrove 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Wizzy:

Did you mention this to the farmer? He is usually keen to know who is on his land and often comes round for a chat. I wouldn't have thought he'd be happy about drilling on the crag unless it was for some non-climbing purpose that he was instigating. It does seem strange that 'rigging gear' was left in place.

I've done several routes on Bat Buttress in the past and don't recall belaying on top being much of an issue with normal gear?
 Fraser 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Wizzy:

> It is a shame that the bolts were placed there though

Agreed totally. I wasn't trying to condone the action, just saying that it might have been carried out by a different bunch of muppets to the one you saw.

solomonkey 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Dave Musgrove:

I don't think telling the farmer is the best plan , if there to be removed then do so , grind up a piece of the local stone from the floor add a bit off cement and water , pig the hole , jobs a good un , telling the farmer will surely just give us a bad rep /access issues
 Simon Caldwell 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Wizzy:

Have you told the BMC?
 phleppy 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Wizzy:

This was done by the farmer/owner. I was bouldering there a couple of years back when he walked up and started chatting. I must say when he mentioned he'd put bolts in I expressed my concern but he said they were just at the top and that he owned it all so I wasn't going to start arguing with him. I've never been up there to have a look to see if there was any need for them though at the time I presumed there probably wasn't!
OP Wizzy 10 Jul 2015
In reply to phleppy:

Ok, thanks for clearing that up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...