UKC

Bing Maps :(

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Been using Bing maps as normal today - using the 'OS Map' layer both as a standard OS reference (easier than opening up a paper map if you're sat at a PC), and to compare the map data with the aerial view.

Noticed a "Try the new Bing Maps" link at the top of the page......

DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK

The 'New' Bing maps does NOT have an OS layer that I have been able to locate, and more seriously once you have clicked the "Try the new Bing" link, you can't get back to the old Bing maps, so your OS function is lost forever! (or at least until someone can tell me how to bypass the default and get back to the old system).
 FactorXXX 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Found the same problem!
However, when I closed and re-opened it, it had reverted to the original version.
I had it as a Favourite though, maybe if you enter it via Google, etc. it remembers your settings? If that is the case, you could try clearing your Cookies.
 Neil Williams 10 Jul 2015
You can go back, there is a close button that takes you back, it's just quite well hidden. Took me about 5 minutes to find it. I forget where it is now though. Other than that clearing your cookies would work.

Disappointed the OS maps are seemingly going, but that said OS Maps isn't expensive, is no worse as an application and I can see that OS maps aren't relevant to Bing's international raison d'etre. That said, if the OS maps go I will cease to use Bing and just use a combination of Google and OS Maps depending what I need.

Neil
Post edited at 08:50
 DannyC 10 Jul 2015

Aw man! That's a real shame if it's going. So useful, especially for those of us with crap phones.
 malky_c 10 Jul 2015

There is an 'exit' button on the bottom right of the screen. Took me some time to find it as well. I don't really have any reason to use Bing if they are getting rid of OS maps. Maybe it just doesn't appear in their trial version.

Hope they keep OS, as it is the most convenient viewer on the web (that's free at least).
In reply to malky_c:

> There is an 'exit' button on the bottom right of the screen.

That's great, Thanks. Sanity restored, at least for a while.
I had seen the button, but assumed it was just a generic 'close' button rather than exiting the preview of the 'new' maps.

deepsoup 10 Jul 2015
In reply to malky_c:

Bikehike will be a bit broken if Bing stop doing OS won't it? (It currently defaults to OS maps supplied by Bing when it's OS allocation runs out.) That'd be a shame, Bikehike is brilliant.
 Simon Caldwell 10 Jul 2015
In reply to malky_c:

When you click on Exit then it asks you for feedback. If everyone mentions the lack of OS maps then if it is intended to be permanent (rather than just not implemented in the trial), then they might change their minds?
 Simon Caldwell 10 Jul 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

> Bikehike will be a bit broken if Bing stop doing OS won't it?

On the plus side it'll give UKH an excuse never to mend their route logging functionality...
 Neil Williams 10 Jul 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

Have they paid to do that? If not, they probably shouldn't be doing it.
 deepsoup 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Neil Williams:
Yes, pretty sure it's all pukka.
 deepsoup 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
I've just done exactly that. Hope you're right.
 malky_c 10 Jul 2015
Yep, done that
Post edited at 11:52

OruxMaps used to use Bing maps as a tile server for OS mapping. Then the OS set the heavies on the guy who develops OruxMaps (a free app), and forced him to remove Bing OS mapping as an option, and to install a block to prevent people adding the source manually. So OS mapping disappeared from anything later than V5.5.3.

I kept an old copy of V5.5.3, as it still allowed me to get OS mapping from Bing. But I tried it recently, and it no longer does, so I guess Microsoft have modified the API for BingMaps to prevent it serving tiles to old apps. Which is a shame. I guess I'll just have to dust off Mobac and create tile sets for OruxMaps...
 Brownie 10 Jul 2015

you can get OS raster on streetmap.co.uk at 25th and 50th scales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...