UKC

Cabane de Moiry / Grimentz

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PeterBlackler 10 Jul 2015
Hi there

This is new area for us as part of a family Alps trip for three of us (with our 11yr old lad). Just wondering if anyone had any useful advice for the general vicinity in this context?

For example…

- we’re planning to camp at "Ilôt Bosquet", is this Ok or is it better at “Pont d'Anniviers” (where do climbing and/or families typically use?)

- is it sensible to leave a van overnight with (some) gear in it at the car park beyond the Moiry dam?

- we’re planning to stay at the Cabane de Moiry for a couple of nights. It’s not practical to skimp on huts (re. family) but inevitably the cost even with AACUK rights cards is still more akin to a week in the Algarve*. Any thoughts on how to sensibly keep the Swiss high-altitude dining budget under control? (but not looking to carry stove and extensive provisions)

Thanks in advance

Peter

* (attempted) joke courtesy of the late lamented Linda Smith

graham F 11 Jul 2015
In reply to PeterBlackler:

Not so sure about the campsites but I think the Ilot Bosquet one is more basic. It's a nice spot with some bolted climbing on boulders in the woods.

It should be fine parking in the Moiry dam carpark overnight.

The hut is only 1.5 hours walk, so carrying some extra food isn't really a problem. If you're there for a couple of nights then taking some extra snack food and lunches would save some cash. Food at the hut is good - it's hard to resist the chocolate brownies...
OP PeterBlackler 11 Jul 2015
In reply to graham F:

Thanks Graham...is appreciated. If there's some bolted by rock at "Ilot Bosquet" that sounds good, so we'll head there first I think and then being able to leave the van up beyond the dam is useful. I'd be more cautions in (many parts of) France I think.

We'll get some Chocolate Brownies (etc, etc) at "Super U" on the journey out. It's probably a bit daft to go to Switzerland this summer with the Chf high and the Euro low; we'll make a run for Italian border when we start feeling hungry...

Kind regards,

Peter

Harry Ellis 11 Jul 2015
In reply to PeterBlackler:

Stock up in aldi in visp before u head up the hill. There was a free campsite at the top of grimentz with a little outdoor climbing wall.
Hth
graham F 11 Jul 2015
In reply to thegoatstroker:

yes, good idea to shop down in the Rhone valley. Aldi in Visp or sion. The campsite with the little wall is the Ilot Bosquet, which is now CHF5/per night. There are often campervans in the Moiry Dam carpark.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...