UKC

Tripods on Mullach Clach a Bhlair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jim Braid 10 Jul 2015
I was up Mullach Clach na Bhlair recently and noticed a tripod on Druim nam Bo and another just off the main path near the top. I've put up some photos of the tripods and wonder if anyone can enlighten me as to their purpose. I was last up in that area in September 2013 and didn't notice them then so they were probably erected in the last couple of years. They may be in line of sight of one another.

Thanks.

Mark Bull 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Jim Braid:

Looks like an automatic rain gauge - did the white cylinder have a funnel in the top?

OP Jim Braid 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Mark Bull:

No funnel on top; it was just smooth white plastic. There's two or three more photos to come through moderation and one shows the tripod near the top of Mullach Clach a Bhlair which is extended in height to 5-6 feet. Can't think of any reason for this apart from communicating with the other tripod. Wouldn't surprise me if they were weather related.
aultguish 11 Jul 2015
In reply to Jim Braid:

Possibly GPS for mapping?
As said by another poster, there's no rain capture and I can't see anything for measuring wind. Any small holes in the plastic that could possibly measure air pressure?
I would've thought standard VHF etc communications would have used a 'whip' type antennae. Who knows tho, I'm completely taking a guess in all accounts.
 Nexonen 11 Jul 2015
In reply to Jim Braid:

Looks like a satellite/iridium antenna possibly. Not sure what they'd be measuring to send back though.

http://www.scan-antenna.com/content/passive-omnidirectional-antenna-iridium
OP Jim Braid 11 Jul 2015
In reply to aultguish:

Sorry, no small holes in the plastic. It's just like a small up turned tub.

I've had an email from UKC advising me that the remaining photos have been referred to the photo editor which means it could take a week till they're available. I've got close ups of the boxes on the ground that may give some clues. Look to me as if two of them provide power and the third captures data.
OP Jim Braid 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Mark Bull:
Looks very likely. How did you manage to find it?

Now see that all the photos are available.
Post edited at 20:39
 Mark Bull 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Jim Braid:

> How did you manage to find it?

Bit of luck with Google....

> Now see that all the photos are available.

Does look like power and data logging.

Flinticus 14 Jul 2015
In reply to Mark Bull:

She's holding what looks like a dog, nothing at all like the tripods!
 Scomuir 14 Jul 2015
In reply to Mark Bull:

They are data loggers. Related to your link: https://scottishsnow.wordpress.com/2014/03/16/feshie-field-day/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...