UKC

Hydraulic brake help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lynsety 10 Jul 2015
Hi,

I need some help. I've got Tektro Auriga comp hydraulic brakes and recently the back brake has been sticking on. I've just taken the back wheel off and pressed the lever and can see one piston comes out further than the other. Is that normal? The lever also goes all the way back with very little resistance, again is that normal?!

Should I bleed the brakes? Unsure what to do here!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lynsey.
 TobyA 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Lynsety:

Google for instructions, you'll probably find a video or a step by step pdf. Don't try the brake with the wheel off - particularly with the brake pads out. From what I remember (don't have hydraulics currently) that can lead to loads of problems. Use some block or folded up piece of paper to stop them from being closed when the disc is out.
 balmybaldwin 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Lynsety:

It sounds like you have a sticky piston - quite common, and usually fixed by a re bleed and a good clean up around the piston.

As Toby A says, ideally you don't want to pull your levers without the disc in, as this can lead tot the pistons popping out. Its not disastrous with most makes, but will need to be popped back in and re bled.

In terms of your levers going back to the bar, it sounds like you need a re bleed anyway.

How long is it since you changed the oil/fluid?
 Chris the Tall 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Lynsety:

Yep, par for the course I'm afraid. Particularly if you have left the brakes with worn pads for any length of time - the exposed part of the piston will inevitably get dirty/dry out and so they are more likely to stick. You might be able to get new pistons, but you may be better of upgrading the brakes. Or just living with the minor irritation

Lack of resistance does imply that the brakes need bleeding. How easy this is depends on the make. With Avids it's a doddle once you get the kit (syringes which screw in), but I remember Hopes being a right pain
 The Potato 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Lynsety:

Id take the caliper off the frame, take the pads out, pump the lever a bit to get the pistons to come out, use something like a spanner across the caliper to hold the good piston in and allow the other one to come out. Use a cloth dipped in brake fluid to wipe around the dirty piston then push it back in. Do this a couple of times to make sure it moves freely.
Push both pistons back in then bleed the brake. Put in new pads and ride!
OP Lynsety 10 Jul 2015
In reply to Pesda potato:

Okay, thanks. Will try it.

Lynsey.
 The Potato 11 Jul 2015
In reply to Lynsety:

Just to clarify I don't mean to get the piston out completely, although you can do, it shouldn't be necessary as its more messy
In reply to Lynsety:

This is what you should try. Spray around the caliper/piston with some brake cleaner and pump the lever. Then, stand the bike upright and twist the levers round so the top cover of the resevoir is as level as possible. Then zip tie the lever to the bar, with the lever pulled in as tight as possible and then leave the bike to stand over night. The air in the fluid will work its way to the top of the system. No need to bleed. works a treat.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...