UKC

Wrist pain on slopers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex Newton 10 Jul 2015
I get pain on the thumb side of my left wrist occasionally. It always seems to happen on my hangboard slopers and occasionally when bouldering.

Slopers tend to be worse but sometimes it just happens on crimps/pinches. The pain extends down my arm for about an inch or so. It feels like my wrist is about to pop out its socked and I'm completely unable to weight it without a lot of pain. The pain disappears pretty quickly after getting off the wall (within a few minutes) but then seems to be worse than usual on other hold types for the rest of the session.

I've been unable to exactly pinpoint when it's worse, as sometimes I manage to climb completely pain free
Has anyone else got/had similar symptoms or any rehab advice?
 Niall_li 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Alex Newton:

I get a similar problem sometimes, particularly when moving my body towards my thumb when on a sloper.
There was a stage I was getting it regularly on the thumb side of my wrist, it would lock out (or feel like it was at least) and i'd get quite a bit of pain. The biggest thing for me was changing my mouse in work (IT desk job) to a mouse that puts your wrist in a more natural position and avoiding using the touchpad thing on laptops overmuch. Some taping, flexor/extensor stretches and knowing when to back off and walk away from a problem/session when it feels dodgy helped as well. Now I don't need the taping and when I do have issues it generally coincides with laptop use.
As a caveat I did get it professionally looked at (X-Ray and MRI) and it came up clear, so if in doubt best to see the physio!
OP Alex Newton 14 Jul 2015
In reply to Niall_li:

Thanks a lot for the insight! It was worse lately and I have been sitting at my laptop more recently so that could well be a factor. If it persists I'll get it checked out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...