UKC

film producers / Climbing videos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 solomonkey 11 Jul 2015
In sure a lot of effort go's into making these short Climbing films we see on ukc , I'm pretty sure the only reason they produce these vids then put them on to ukc is so other people will watch ! Why after all that effort would you use vimeo and cut out over half your viewers !? most phones will play you tube vids no probs , but most my mates (slightly) older phones will not play vimeo . Therefore they will not/do not see any of your great vids
All of Adam ondras visa get put up on YouTube and everyone gets to watch , not just the people with fancy I phone 6
 The Pylon King 11 Jul 2015
In reply to solomonkey:

Watching videos on a phone??

Jesus.
OP solomonkey 11 Jul 2015
In reply to Pylon King Against Capit@lism:

Yes when in work or out and about ?
Mary !
 The Pylon King 11 Jul 2015
In reply to solomonkey:

A strange time and place to be watching videos.

Surely they are made to be viewed on a big screen with the sound blasting out like a mutha?

AP Melbourne 11 Jul 2015
In reply to solomonkey:
Yes there's quite a bit of effort involved - particularly if starting out with an old VHS tape.
The little Arapiles vid I submitted cost AU$240 and judging by the number of comments (None) I suppose it bombed!
Boo flippin' Hoo and I have enough footage for another five or six...
Andy P.
Post edited at 23:45
 jsmcfarland 12 Jul 2015
In reply to solomonkey:

Must admit I do wonder why the climbing community uses vimeo so much. What makes it better than youtube? More people use youtube and can comment etc, and as you say youtube seems to work better on more devices (and is more friendly towards security software on work-based networks etc)
OP solomonkey 12 Jul 2015
In reply to VHAS:

Well if you put it on vimeo I defo won't of seen it , I think most slightly older devices won't play vimeo were as YouTube works on everything , didn't realize it cost you that much to make .
OP solomonkey 12 Jul 2015
In reply to Pylon King Against Capit@lism:

If you say there is a correct time to watch videos / a none strange time ! I would love to hear , , , not ?¿
 AP Melbourne 12 Jul 2015
In reply to solomonkey:

Ta solomonkey, yes $90 to convert to digital then $150 for editing (meaning cutting out all the rests and making it look convincing ha!) I had to do it about six times in about 32degrees C as only one cameraman, then converting to YouTube and uploading to our favourite site for everyone's viewing pleasure...(Shakes head).
Cheers,
AP.
 Tom Last 12 Jul 2015
In reply to VHAS:

I watched it on the other channel. I enjoyed it and know how to pronounce 'Arapiles' now. Nice hat.

Cheers
Andy Gamisou 12 Jul 2015
In reply to jsmcfarland:

> Must admit I do wonder why the climbing community uses vimeo so much. What makes it better than youtube? More people use youtube and can comment etc, and as you say youtube seems to work better on more devices (and is more friendly towards security software on work-based networks etc)

http://mashable.com/2013/05/30/vimeo-over-youtube/
In reply to solomonkey:

> In sure a lot of effort go's into making these short Climbing films we see on ukc , I'm pretty sure the only reason they produce these vids then put them on to ukc is so other people will watch ! Why after all that effort would you use vimeo and cut out over half your viewers !?

The views we see on similar YouTube and Vimeo videos, where we can measure, are roughly the same overall.

Our analytics figures say 2.52% of UKC traffic comes from Android and, of that, all except 0.01% are operating system 4 or greater. The Vimeo App for Android works on system 2.3.3 and above so there really isn't a reason why most people with Android phones shouldn't be able to watch the videos supplied to UKC on Vimeo on their phones.

I realise that in the real world of dodgy reception, and an App that doesn't get great reviews, that this might not work as smoothly as the YouTube app, but your stat of 'half your viewers' is miles off the mark.

Alan

Tom Last 12 Jul 2015
In reply to solomonkey:

I always assumed that people who uploaded to Vimeo, rather than YouTube did so because they didn't want a load of bell-ends commenting; the like of which probably don't even know how to find Vimeo.
 The Pylon King 12 Jul 2015
In reply to Tom Last:

Spot on Tom!!
 goose299 12 Jul 2015
In reply to Tom Last:

The comments you do see on every Youtube video are ridiculous. There's a lot of keyboard warriors about
 jsmcfarland 13 Jul 2015
In reply to VHAS:

Where is your arapilles vid? I'll watch it (and comment!)
 Karl Bromelow 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Tom Last:

Precisely. Youtube is extraordinarily low brow. Vimeo is a much classier site. My preference for the latter is absolutely down to that. Call it snobbery or call it integrity. Either way Vimeo is the best site for me.
In reply to VHAS:

I don't think you promoted the video well enough to get much reaction Andy. I first saw it on Chockstone and enjoyed it. Then spotted your comments on here and realised you'd posted it on UKC too. If you weren't anonymous in your username you might have had more interest. Speaking as a fellow of the same generation and with a growing sense of nostalgia for my lost youth I find stuff like your video enjoyable. There must be a bunch of people out there curious about that particular golden era and what chaps like you are up to now. I, like you moved to Australia a few years back. Sadly I live on the Mornington Peninsula where hard rock only exists in landscape gardening proportions, the local stuff being cruddy, soft and crumbly. Much as you praise Arapiles in the video, Victoria is not a great place to live as a rock climber unless you make a home somewhere remote and distant from everything else. There are vast areas with nothing of interest to the climber. I have to drive for over 5 hours to get to anything really worthwhile. Fortunately I have some surf on my doorstep which is my other love. I suspect life in the city (Melbourne) and distance from the crags may have had some part in your own disappearance from the scene almost immediately after migrating? Whatever, it has been interesting to see you surface again. I presume you do climb occasionally as this post on Chocky showed you hanging out with someone familiar.

http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=DisplayTopic&ForumID=1...
OP solomonkey 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Whatever the percent , everyone can watch you tube , Not everyone can watch vimeo ! , so if you want Everyone to be able to watch your vids your best off with YouTube - if you don't want people to be able to watch put it on vimeo.
In reply to Karl Bromelow:

Yes I think that must be snobbery , snob
 HeMa 13 Jul 2015
In reply to solomonkey:

> Whatever the percent , everyone can watch you tube , Not everyone can watch vimeo !

Actually not true. Some iOS will not play old YouCrap videos because they were/are flash -based.

So tit for tat.
 AP Melbourne 13 Jul 2015
In reply to jsmcfarland:

Thank you jsmcfarland. It's on this very site - in the videos section, though I'm baffled as to why so many come up as blank grey squares with either an arrow or a few dots & no still shot. Others have that YouTube 'sad mouth'!
Cheers.
 AP Melbourne 13 Jul 2015
Hey Karl, nice that, thanks.
Nah, haven't climbed since 5th May '92. Did my last ever route & sold/gave away/binned my gear that very afternoon.
Nothing down Wilsons Prom for you? James Kassay's gym wouldn't be that far for a session would it? (not that I've been)/ But real rock, yes a long drive...
Cheers.
Post edited at 08:37
In reply to solomonkey:
Proud to be called a snob in regard to this, thanks ; )

Snob that I am I see the Vimeo/Youtube in the same light as I do The Observer/OK magazine. I'm not alone. I think most people who preferentially post on Vimeo are choosing, consciously, not to have their work bobbing around in a vast ocean of trash, squalor, profanity and deception.

Now where's me knife to cut those crusts off me cucumber butties?

Post edited at 09:57
In reply to VHAS:
Seriously, Andy, I can't be the only person who reads the historical/first ascent details in guidebooks and is intrigued by that era that we grew up climbing in when videos of the cutting edge stuff were very much a rarity. I owned Ron Fawcett's Body Machine as a young fella and that was about it. Saw him lecture in Leeds Uni Rupert Beckett Lecture Theatre, late 80's maybe 1990, ducking behind the lectern for a swig of beer while flicking through slides of Yosemite and boulders in the Seychelles (I think). It all reinforced my desires to seek out adventure. Now videos appear like junk mail on a daily basis. Great quality, I still watch them, but something is lost or diluted in the sheer volume. However, lost footage from that past era when huge leaps were being made by the likes of yourself and your buddies in both technical terms and levels of commitment, anything that would give us a moving visual insight would be golden , I reckon. I hope you can find the cash to post your other stuff. I'd love to see it. Even if you do stick it on Youtube!

Wilsons Prom is lovely, but still 3 and a half hours away, ridiculously expensive camping, largely with banned access on most of the rock and requiring a permit from the rangers in the few places where it is allowed. Having said that, with a bit of effort I have managed to climb on virgin rock there. It pays to keep your head down and not attract attention. Not good for glory seeking.

Bayside Rock ( James Kassay's place) is fun. I take my now 8 year old there, it keeps him interested and has done since he was 3, and it keeps a slender grip on sanity for us but it's not the same is it? I used to be able to jump on my push bike and be cragging in half an hour from home. Oh well. I've made my bed. Felt the need to be nearer waves and challenging myself to a life in a new country. Much is good even great. Some stuff like my climbing opportunities, sadly not so. It's why I waste my nights on here occasionally.

So if you haven't climbed since "Punks" (was it?), what are you doing in that photo posted by Simey. You must have been in Natimuk, I'm guessing, thinking of a comeback? Inspired by Ben Moon, not much your junior? None of my business, of course, just curious.

Cheers, Karl
Post edited at 10:29
 chrisprescott 13 Jul 2015
In reply to solomonkey:

We prefer to upload our films to Vimeo over YouTube for a few reasons, but mostly because the Vimeo player is much nicer and you also aren't bombarded by adverts every time you want to watch something. We hope people will make the effort to watch our films on proper screens with good sound setups but realise that people are unfortunately trending more towards watching films on phones on the bus journey home and that's why we upload to multiple platforms.
 AP Melbourne 13 Jul 2015

Ha!, nice one again Karl 'old bean'. I went YouTube 'coz that was what 'people' said I had to get done. Won't be hard to copy to Vimeo and stick with Vimeo in the future if that is what most folk would prefer (Answers on the back of a fifty). Can't please all the people though....
Rupert Beckett Lecture Theatre - Yes! Great venue from memory.
Reason for posting was that I've had these old VHS tapes for 25yrs+, most of the content has never been seen.
Apart from myself, there's Jerry Moffatt, Sean Myles, dears Peter & Jobee (then) Croft, Hidetaka Suzuki, Patrick Edlinger etc just sat here fading away in Melbourne with even older Masters of the Universe and London Wall on grit and FA (after u/cut broke) of Boot Boys... be criminal to lose them.
As for a climbing comeback? Nah, leave it in the capable hands of 'that young kid with the dreads from 'daan sarf' as he was referred to in '83.
Had a ball in Nati as hadn't been for twelve years. Tim Freeman (FA Brachiation Dance, Weedkiller etc) and daughter Angel went up. Best w/end in years.
Oh and why did you have to go and mention 'that' route? (Chuckles away) its none of your business.
Cheers.
AP.

In reply to VHAS:
Cricket Andy. You've got video footage with some monetary value there surely. Why was it never released at the time? I assumed the one you had posted was some kind of short bio/doco type thing from early 90's Aussie tv. 60 minutes kind of stuff. Whatever the quality of the rest you should post it somewhere. Even if it's home movie quality, you're right, it would be terrible for it to be lost.
I can be guilty of coming across as quite down on downunder but I have had some of my most happy days down here. Arapiles has been the source of some hilarious times and great long term friendships as well as encounters with some extraordinary individuals. At one time I had climbed more routes there than I had at any other crag in the world and I was still living in the UK. But somehow I got bored of it despite what people say and craved something new. The grass is always greener. Now it's been a few years since I visited and I'm missing it again. Good to hear you had a ball in Nati.

I got that lecture date wrong. It would've been 1985 or so when I saw Ron in Leeds. It was the first climbing lecture I ever went to. Saw some class acts there over the next few years. One of the most bizarre, as I have mentioned before on here, was Mick Ryan's Pink Floydesque sound and vision extravaganza. Curiously original. I miss those heady days. Take it easy, Karl
Post edited at 14:53
In reply to chrisprescott:

If you prefer to cut down your audience then just put your vids on vimeo , I for one won't be able to watch it on the buss or wherever I fancy watching it , it will just say sorry not compatible on this device , it's got to the point where I don't even bother trying to watch any vimeo films as I can tell before clicking on them , so only click on the YouTube vids , why not put your films on both , I sometimes try searching for a vid on yt if I really like the look of it but often it won't be there
 galpinos 13 Jul 2015
In reply to solomonkey:

As a comsumer, not an uploader, the Ypoutube layout is horrible and seems aimed at 12 year olds with ADD. I much prefer the cleaner layout of vimeo, it's a lot nicer.
 lithos 13 Jul 2015
In reply to VHAS:

I watched it on here and liked it and wondered what happened to Andy P (one of the stars of my youth) and now i know, great to hear from you. A$240 sounds like quite a lot these days (depends on who you are paying for your editing i guess) but would be great to see some more.

Cheers
In reply to galpinos:

I'm not quite sure what your on about ,, - the YouTube layout is horrible and aimed at 12 year olds with ADD ?
I'm talking about ukc video page where there is say 20 boxes to choose from , they all look similar , you click on one and a video plays , it then go's straight back to ukc page/layout of videos/ boxes ?¿
 Karl Bromelow 14 Jul 2015
In reply to solomonkey:

> I'm not quite sure what your on about ,, - the YouTube layout is horrible and aimed at 12 year olds with ADD ?

> I'm talking about ukc video page where there is say 20 boxes to choose from , they all look similar , you click on one and a video plays , it then go's straight back to ukc page/layout of videos/ boxes ?¿

But video makers who upload to YouTube or Vimeo aren't thinking about websites further down the line who might embed their uploads. They are making a choice as to which outlet they would prefer their videos to be seen through. Vimeo is unquestionably the place for people who are concerned more about seeing their work displayed alongside that of other creative souls than how many hits they are going to receive.

Even the kitten movies are better on Vimeo ; )

vimeo.com/30422464
OP solomonkey 14 Jul 2015

> But video makers who upload to YouTube or Vimeo aren't thinking about websites further down the line who might embed their uploads.

So they make a Climbing video then they put it on the golf Web site , or knitting website with no thought of who's going to watch it , sounds a but daft to me ?¿

In reply to solomonkey:

> So they make a Climbing video then they put it on the golf Web site , or knitting website with no thought of who's going to watch it , sounds a but daft to me ?¿

???? Okay, this was fun for a while but now I'm not sure you can read. These are my exact words that you kindly re quoted and then completely misrepresented in your effort to disagree.

"But video makers who upload to YouTube or Vimeo aren't thinking about websites further down the line who might embed their uploads."

The video makers upload to the video hosting websites......got that? Yes?........ Then the videos are linked either by themselves or possibly more often by a second party to another website such as UKC or one of the climbing mags or Australian Chockstone. Is that clear? I'm pretty sure that most of the videos we see on UKC are trawled for by UKC staff and then embedded or linked to by them, not the original film makers. Certainly those that make the front page.

No hard feelings, but please just read my words.

Cheers, Karl
OP solomonkey 14 Jul 2015

NONE TAKEN , have you ever uploaded a video on ukc ?
In reply to solomonkey:
> NONE TAKEN , have you ever uploaded a video on ukc ?

No. I do upload to Vimeo quite a lot though. 89 videos to be exact. I also have 6 on Youtube and 16 videos on Dailymotion. I doubt whether UKC would want to promote my work. As far as I know they haven't spotted my stuff out there.

I didn't think UKC had a facility for uploading videos. I thought they chose what to show and if you wanted to put your own stuff on here you had to directly get in touch first.

Isn't that the case?

I know you can't watch Vimeo, Solomonkey, but if you ever get a chance here's a quick one of mine that I should post on Letsknit.co.uk sometime.

vimeo.com/65296853

Cheers, Karl
Post edited at 14:50
 AP Melbourne 15 Jul 2015

That was utterly delightful Karl, thanks for sharing.
Certainly chilled me out from the last half hour's frantic work calls anyway...
'My man' at the studio is opening a Vimeo account for me so the next - Arapiles Part 2 - will be on there.
Sorry in advance to those who won't see it on their phone/s but as pointed out earlier videos are best watched on a larger screen with the music 'crankin' aren't they?
Cheers,
Andy P.
OP solomonkey 15 Jul 2015
In reply to VHAS:

Hate to disagree but surely films are better being watched on a phone than not at all ! I won't even try to watch your films as I know I can't , happy film making , just don't complain if not many other people bother watching
 Karl Bromelow 15 Jul 2015
In reply to VHAS:
Thanks, Andy. It's what I did for a living for the last 4 years. Moved on now but I know where they hang out. There wasn't much call for that around Leeds. Maybe I should go back and start guiding stickleback swims in the Leeds/Liverpool canal. Stand up paddle boarding on Yeadon tarn might be a goer too.

Really looking forward to seeing those other vids from back in the day. Full screen, full volume. Phones are going to be old hat soon anyway. We'll all have cranial implants linking us all with the web 24hrs a day. We'll be watching your movies directly streaming into the visual cortex of our brains. Effectively getting a first hand cameraman's view of it. Tunes banging away in our auditory cortex like we're sitting on the amp stacks at Knebworth. Then the kids will be laughing their socks off at those weird old timers who used to stare all day at their poxy little Samsung LCD screens listening to those tinny little speakers.

Cheers, Karl
In reply to solomonkey:
Which Vimeo videos have "not at all" been viewed? I think Alan pointed out that there wasn't much difference between Youtube and Vimeo hits for climbing vids posted here. And I haven't heard any Vimeo posters complaining yet about a lack of interest. Face it the people who upload to Vimeo do it for a valid reason which is certainly not a need for viral popularity. They are unlikely to change their choice unless something else better comes along on the same lines. I think Vimeo film makers will happily survive with the audience they have right now.

Cheers, Karl
Post edited at 08:07
 Oldsign 15 Jul 2015
In reply to solomonkey:
> Hate to disagree but surely films are better being watched on a phone than not at all ! I won't even try to watch your films as I know I can't , happy film making , just don't complain if not many other people bother watching

Mate, how crap exactly is your phone? You do know there is a vimeo app that will solve all your problems don't you?

Actually you might be able to solve your vimeo woes by just installing a different web browser. Tried chrome yet?

I don't think you should really be having any trouble. Maybe do a bit of research, self sufficiency and all that?
Post edited at 08:18
In reply to VHAS:

While I'm self promoting through the wonders of Vimeo, Andy. here's another short one I shot a couple of years ago which shows why it's not all bad down here for a grit starved Northener. I can walk to this from my house. Of course it doesn't look like this today but the humpback whale I was watching breach just off the beach this arvo didn't seem to mind.

vimeo.com/60295619

Cheers, again.

Well that's fine then , a selected audience is always better I suppose , having bought many a Climbing DVD I've only ever bought the ones I've never seen or heard of to be honest .
In reply to Oldsign:

> Actually you might be able to solve your vimeo woes by just installing a different web browser. Tried chrome yet?

> I don't think you should really be having any trouble. Maybe do a bit of research, self sufficiency and all that?

Yeah cheers for that , I have tried already - self sufficiency an all that !
 SteveoS 15 Jul 2015
In reply to solomonkey:

Vimeo is imo a better platform for pay per view.

An example is Project Mina by lightshedjen I personally wouldn't buy it on dvd but me and a friend chucked in a couple of quid, paid and sat down to enjoy a quality film we missed at Banff and shaff.

It supports a small business not through the use of irrelevant or blatant sponsorship. Petzl and TNF have the budget to take the hit to advertise their products.
You'd buy Jen Randall a coffee to see a good quality, homegrown video over a north face product video wouldn't you?
 Oldsign 15 Jul 2015
In reply to solomonkey:

Sorry, I always come across a bit tw*tty first thing of a morning. Which phone and version of android are you using? There must be a work around.
In reply to SteveoS:

Yes I would , but if I had never seen the advert/short clip first I either won't know it's a good looking home grown movie or I just won't know it exists .
So far I've established 2 things , people ask for their videos to be put on ukc , and that they do so because they want climbers to see them . I will admit I would not want to watch a full film on my phone but most of the vids on ukc are either short or a clip of a longer film .
Andy Gamisou 17 Jul 2015
In reply to goose299:

> The comments you do see on every Youtube video are ridiculous. There's a lot of keyboard warriors about

Not like UKC then!
Moorside Mo 18 Jul 2015
In reply to Willi Crater:

> Not like UKC then!

No not at all, UKC is the height of civilization in comparison. Which probably tells you how bad it is!
Andy Gamisou 18 Jul 2015
In reply to Moorside Mo:

> No not at all, UKC is the height of civilization in comparison. Which probably tells you how bad it is!

I often wonder (well, wondered once - just now) if the comments that appear in the various online newspapers, youtube, etc. are representative of the opinions and feelings of the average 'man in the street' (in which case humanity is doomed) or if those individuals are simply of below average intelligence and above average bigotry.
 Mick Ward 18 Jul 2015

I do often ponder this - without any result! When I've dipped into online newspapers, many of the comments are so mean and nasty that I recoil. On Youtube, if it's climbing, most of the comments are so stunningly uninformed that it's laughable. (Where do these people get their arrogance from?) By contrast, if it's music, many comments are appreciative and some are lovely. And occasionally someone comes on who maybe worked with the performer, so they can give context. But then, sooner or later, someone else comes along to the party and does their best to spoil it.

I suppose the internet is the prerogative of the harlot - power (or at least an attempt at influencing) without responsibility.

And this place... it varies from wonderful to horrendous. Whenever I climb with folk from here, they're refreshingly sane and normal. Often they're lovely. But they rarely post - apart from looking for people to climb with. And the keyboard warriors who pile into the car crash threads (who, almost invariably seem to be male), well... I suppose the best that can be said is that there seems far worse on Youtube.

Hmm... don't mean to be so gloomy. Glass half-full/empty. Certainly there are outstanding people on here and on Supertopo. I'll cling to that thought.

Mick
Andy Gamisou 18 Jul 2015
In reply to Mick Ward:

Nice post. Thanks.
 Mick Ward 18 Jul 2015

You're very welcome. Just wish I could make more sense of it all. Perhaps it's simply the human condition via another medium, Plato's shadows flickering on the wall.

Mick
 Jon Stewart 18 Jul 2015
In reply to goose299:

> The comments you do see on every Youtube video are ridiculous. There's a lot of keyboard warriors about

Have you see Adam Buxton's Bug show? Mainly hilarious Youtube comments being read out for your entertainment:

youtube.com/watch?v=mr31WIu8Ifo&
 goose299 19 Jul 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:

ha ha fantastic video
 Adam W. 19 Jul 2015
In reply to VHAS:

Cheers for the film Andy, took me back. Your articles in High inspired me when I was just starting out climbing and I think I mist have seen one of your last lectures in Sheffield in about 91. Be great if you could post up the other films.
 AP Melbourne 20 Jul 2015
In reply to Adam W.:

Oh that is nice, thanks Adam.
I'll get Part 2 cobbled together - it has a fantastic little roof climb on it.
Cheers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...