UKC

Campervan insurance/ tax questions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I was looking at a peuguot partner someone had converted going cheap. I though great if it last me until next year all will be good. M y first van and very excited

I contacted my insurance and they said unless it has a certificate of conversion they would not insure....ok i said it has just to get quote.....this amounted to more than the van!

Questions:
Recommendations for insurance companies for this sort of thing? or do i just get the van insured as a van?

if i do get it insured as a van i am missing out on cheaper tax as it may comply with the 'motor caravan' as described by the DVLA.

Around the Edinburgh area are there any recommendations on companies who might certify the works to order to gain insurance/ tax?

Thanks
Colin
Post edited at 13:34
 Ramon Marin 13 Jul 2015
In reply to bedsforsleepypeople:

My van is insured by Adrain Flux at a agreed value of the conversion (7k) and not the value of the actual van (3k). We did that through a process of showing them pictures of the conversion and listing the changes we did. The van is not recognized as camper by DVLA , so can't be insured as camper.
 BStar 13 Jul 2015

+1 for adrian flux, they are excellent for insuring things vans that fall into the inbetween category.
 Andy Morley 13 Jul 2015

You might find the following website helpful:

http://www.caravanwise.co.uk/motor/diycamper.html
These are the requirements for a vehicle to qualify as a motor caravan:

There must be a door that provides access to the living accommodation.
A bed, which is an integral part of the living quarters which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet. This can be converted at night from seats used for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle.
There must be a water storage tank or container on or in the vehicle.
A seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle. The table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It's not good enough to have a loose table.
There must be a permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe.
There must be a permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle powered by gas or electricity.
There must be at least one window on the side of the accommodation.
If the vehicle has all of these minimum features present and permanently fixed and installed properly then you should be able to have it reclassified as a "Motor Caravan". ...

"If a vehicle has been modified from its original specification it is a legal requirement that the vehicle keeper is required to return the registration certificate, V5C for amendment, no fee is required." (DVLA)
 marsbar 13 Jul 2015

Adrian flux are so helpful.
 AlisonSmiles 13 Jul 2015

Adrian Flux gave me six months to get it registered with the DVLA as a camper - think someone else has already listed the strict requirements. It was a matter of filling in a form and sending in the photos. Then sending in more photos - although they do list exactly what they need to see pictures of, we had some differences of interpretation. All was good in the end, just a bit of admin provided yours does meet those requirements.

Thanks folks

Good call on Adrian Flux....quoted around £175 unlike previous quotes ranging from £320 to £520!
 Siward 14 Jul 2015

Shield insurance are similarly helpful and competitive. Use them myself.

http://www.shieldtotalinsurance.co.uk/motorhome-insurance
 illepo 15 Jul 2015

so is there a VED difference i having it classed as a motor caravan?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...