UKC

Places to eat near Glen Coe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 machino 13 Jul 2015
Hello.

I'm off to Glen Coe next week for a few days adventuring. It's my birthday on one of the days, and I'd like to eat something tasty in the evening. It doesn't have to be starched table cloth fancy, I'd just like to go somewhere where we can have a nice evening. A brilliant pub would do, good fish, steak. Any tips? We're staying in Glencoe and can drive for half an hour or so.

Thanks!

Rebecca
 Rick Graham 13 Jul 2015
In reply to machino:

A local once took me for a business meal to the hotel opposite the BMC hut in Onich.

On the left driving to Fort Bill.
 Rick Graham 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Colin Moody:

> Onich Hotel?

Yes.

TBH all the pub meals I have had in Scotland have been really good. Seem to think more of their customers than some of those further South.
In reply to machino:
If I was you I'd get the Corran Ferry which is fun in itself and eat in the really nice Pub/Restaurant just beside where the ferry comes in on the other side of the Loch.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Corran+Ferry/@56.7189349,-5.2616371,12z...
Post edited at 22:47
 Mr Trebus 13 Jul 2015
In reply to machino:

http://www.lochlevenseafoodcafe.co.uk/

Give it a go, it is really nice.
 malky_c 14 Jul 2015
In reply to machino:

The Holly Tree in Kentallen:
http://hollytreehotel.co.uk/

or just go to the Clachaig if you can't be bothered driving.
 Welsh Kate 14 Jul 2015
In reply to Mr Trebus:
Yes, the Lochleven sea food restaurant is really good.
Post edited at 12:14
 ogreville 14 Jul 2015
In reply to machino:

Four Seasons Pub and restaurant next to the Bunk House in Inchree, 30 mins drive from Glencoe village. Good Food.
 Rich W Parker 14 Jul 2015
In reply to machino:

Another one for the Loch Leven Seafood cafe.
 KevinJ 14 Jul 2015
In reply to machino:
Another +1 for the seafood cafe, not too far to travel from Glencoe.
The Holly Tree also does excellent food, with a slightly less seafood focussed menu.
The Crannog in Fort Bill is also good, but a bit of a drive for an evening meal if staying in Glencoe. Used to do a really good lunch though.
Was a bit disappointed with the food last time I was in the Clachaig, but may have been a bad menu selection by me.
OP machino 16 Jul 2015
Thank you everyone, that's really helpful. I thought the lined up vegetables on that pie photo on the Clachaig website looked a bit dodgy, but perhaps haphazard veg isn't everything in a restaurant. Also, Colin Moody, this time last year I was checking your website for Mull tips. I ended up going in the middle of a heatwave and spending most of my time sweating on the beach, but still, I appreciated your work!
 Bulls Crack 17 Jul 2015
In reply to Rick Graham:

> Yes.

> TBH all the pub meals I have had in Scotland have been really good. Seem to think more of their customers than some of those further South.

A welcome change to the not so distant past . Eating out in Scotland can now be really rewarding rather than an ordeal
 Rick Graham 17 Jul 2015
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Still I miss my pizza heated up with the fish and chips oil.
 Mr Trebus 17 Jul 2015
In reply to Rick Graham:

I still have a soft spot for a deep fried pie served in a morning roll to protect the fingers.

I have to be very drunk before I order one though.
Jim C 17 Jul 2015
In reply to machino:

The Kingshouse will be pissed that no one recommended it !

Rick Graham 17 Jul 2015
In reply to Mr Trebus:
> I still have a soft spot for a deep fried pie served in a morning roll to protect the fingers.

> I have to be very drunk before I order one though.

Scotch Pie in a bab. Very good and notorious Scootish climber taught me that one. Only ever had them sober though.

Probably have to travel to Kinlochleven or Fort William to get one though from Glencoe.
Post edited at 18:48
llechwedd 17 Jul 2015
In reply to machino:
The local Lochaber and Glencoe MRT do carry-outs.....
Post edited at 22:06
 Bulls Crack 17 Jul 2015
In reply to Rick Graham:

Yep had deep fried pizza at Stirling once :-p
llechwedd 18 Jul 2015
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Yep had deep fried pizza at Stirling once :-p

From one extreme...
Mc Cain sounds authentically Scottish. So why are they marketing 'OVEN Chips'?

Do they teach cookery at school there? Someone needs to look at the syllabus..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...