UKC

Ariege camp sites and climbing - kid friendly

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 herbe_rouge 13 Jul 2015
Does anyone have any recommendation for campsites in Ariege, perhaps close to Auzat, Calames or Orlu or elsewhere that's close to any rock that's also suitable for kids (7 & 10 yrs up to UK 5a) . We've promised the kids a swimming pool so this is a must, one that also has a bar on site would make for very happy campers..... Any advice greatly appreciated.....

atb

Steve
 John Ww 13 Jul 2015
In reply to herbe_rouge:

I'm sure John Arran will be along shortly.

JW
 john arran 14 Jul 2015
In reply to herbe_rouge:

Not much experience of campsites hereabouts but I've heard positive things about the site in Vicdessos. Auzat is probably your best bet for climbing (lots of choice, edgy granite, extremely well bolted, lots of easy and mid-grade routes, plenty of shade) and that's very close to Vicdessos. Calamès will be stinking hot so best avoided unless it's unusually cool - I presume you're coming in summer given that you're wanting a pool.
Orlu is a lovely place but the climbing is all multi-pitch; it's also a bit out on a limb in terms of getting to the other climbing areas.
There's a campsite at Alliat worth looking into too; certainly has a big kid-friendly pool and is in a great spot for the climbing, but some people might find it a bit lively in August.
 JimboWizbo 14 Jul 2015
In reply to herbe_rouge:

http://www.campingdesgrottes.com/

Only good things to say about this place. On the road to Auzat. Good swimming pool, bar, sauna. Shade in the morning and evening. Note that the pool closes toward the end of September! Very close to Baychon which has some nice easy climbing.
 john arran 14 Jul 2015
In reply to JimboWizbo:

That's the Alliat site I mentioned.
 JimboWizbo 14 Jul 2015
In reply to john arran:

It's a great campsite, but we've opted for chez arran this year. Looking forward to it.
OP herbe_rouge 14 Jul 2015
In reply to john arran:

Thanks to both of you - really brilliant help and very kind. Looks like Vicdessos for August - Auzat is tailor-made for the kids' climbing and we still get a bar..... Thanks again,

Steve

Darron 14 Jul 2015
In reply to herbe_rouge:

Another vote for Vicdessos. The site is on the opposite side of the river from the village but a footbridge allows access to get bread in the morning/beer at night without walking all the way round.
 goatee 14 Jul 2015
In reply to herbe_rouge:

Yep, Vicdessos is a nicer site than Auzat for sure. There is also a superb one just down the valley in Tarascon sur Ariege. Wonderful pool/spa with excellent playground for kids + a bar and restaurant. The old church in the town is worth a visit as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...