UKC

Is my new provider lying?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
0Unknown0 13 Jul 2015
Do I got a new place. I found a reasonable package with TALKTALK. Problem is where the phone line comes into the house is at the back bedroom. The TV will be in living room and bedroom. In order for the system to work apparently the router needs to be within 3 mtrs of the TV. mentioned this and I was kind of waffled a 'people always find a way around it' to keep me going for it. I initially thought, well at worst I'll just have to run a cable through, but on looking again this is going to be a real faff and look a bit silly. Also does adding more line not ruin the reception. And is it dufficult to move the phone socket. I'd have thought thdy'd do it, but I'm not wanting to get it then get stung with amassive technician fee.
Just wanted some opinion before I call them back tomorrow.
 radddogg 13 Jul 2015
In reply to Dominicandave:

Just tell them if you don't "find a way" you'll be cancelling during the cool off period.
 joan cooper 13 Jul 2015

My plus net router is 20ft + away from the sky TV set up box downstairs and 15 ft + away from the sky tv box upstairs and both work on wifi. They were connected and installed by a sky engineer .
 FactorXXX 14 Jul 2015

Even if you're on optical fibre, there'll still be quite a lot of copper wiring from the nearest street box to your house. A couple of extra metres shouldn't make any difference...
Saying that, if you're paying for a brand new contract and as a new customer, you should be able to tell them where you want your TV, Phone and Network points.
 ByEek 14 Jul 2015

We had Virgin installed at our last house. The guy who came to connect us crawled under the floorboards in order to put the cables into the back of the house. No additional fee. So use that. Tell them you want them to run the cable under / outside your house and if they can't do it for a small / free fee, you will go elsewhere.

Have heard a lot of bad press about TalkTalk, I can't help thinking you are in for a rough ride though. You get what you pay for.

Good luck!
 Fraser 14 Jul 2015

I might have missed something in the OP, but are you getting your base tv signal via the router & cable or is it just a hard wired 'smart' connection from the router you're concerned about? If it's the latter, it won't make a noticeable difference bridging the gap yourself with an ethernet cable.
 winhill 14 Jul 2015

You're supposed to order the powerline style adapters if your tv is more than 3 metres from the router. These use the ac mains cable to network the house. I have a pair someone gave me but never managed to get them to talk to each other for more than a few milliseconds so ended up sticking a cable through the wall christmas morning to get a new pc online.

If you get them of talktalk it's quite cheap, I think.
0Unknown0 14 Jul 2015

Bit of a pain really. Spoke this morning and they are going yo give me some kind of booster thing to strengthen the signal between the router and the TV. There is also a 3 mtr cord if I want to connect it like that. But I do need to get an ariel installed as they don't work from a dish. So I'm utterly mistified how this works. Why does the tv need to be near the router if it comes in from an ariel. Surely this point is dverything is running ftom the phone lines no?
And the advisers are not making a much better job of helping me understand. Anyone wanna have a go at getting through this thick head?

In the Republic we got a dish, we plug it in and it comes on. Internet, we have a phone line, and modem, switch it on and we're online. Pick up the phone and call someone.
 Fraser 14 Jul 2015

See my first post.
 Philip 14 Jul 2015

What you've got coming is a freeview / on-demand box. It will need an aerial to get live TV and a connection to your router to use the on-demand features. The box is a YouView variant, so you'll get the free on demand services (like iPlayer, 4OD, ITV player) and the subscription services (you have to pay extra) like Netflix.

The router needs to be near the TV box or connected by cable, no WiFi on these YouView boxes. The easiest thing is to buy Powerline adapters. You plug one in by the router and one in by the TV.

BT used to give these away for free with their equivalent service. TalkTalk might too if you explain.

If you have no aerial, and don't want catch up services on your TV (only your PC), then don't bother with this service and get a Freesat box to use with your dish and then just use your router to watch catch up on your laptop.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...