UKC

150 years ago

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dale1968 14 Jul 2015
 jcw 14 Jul 2015
In reply to dale1968:
I wondered whether someone would remind UKC of this. And all those other first ascents of 1865: the Brenva spur on Mont Blanc, the Grandes Jorasses, the Verte by the Whymper Couloir and the Moine Ridge, the Bionassay face etc. one might even have expected UKC itself perhaps to have remembered. However. since then grit and boulders have been discovered, walls built and past glories relegated to a historical reminder in the Alpine Expedition section. And if the FBAs of 1865 had tried to enter their ascents, they would have been asked "name of crag"

> Edward whymper
Post edited at 10:10
OP dale1968 14 Jul 2015
In reply to jcw:

> I wondered whether someone would remind UKC of this

Surprised that UKC has not done something...
 Trangia 14 Jul 2015
In reply to dale1968:

He was an amazing man. "Scrambles amongst the Alps" was the first mountaineering book that I read. A real classic
 jcw 15 Jul 2015
In reply to dale1968: interesting isn't it? I deliberately tried to be provocative, but the complete lack of reaction shows that UKC couldn't give a monkey's toss about mountaineering history. It all goes to confirm what one mountaineer said to me, that no one serious takes an interest in the site. And that is confirmed by the way the mountaineers that used to respond have dropped out. There has only been one interesting thread for a long time, that concerning the Eiger North Face. And it was written by has beens. But none of today's mountaineers, indeed perhaps even serious UK climbers respond. The odd professional who sometimes sees advantage, the photographers interested in keeping their pictures in front of the public, but no discussion of anything remotely interesting for experienced mountaineers, past or present. Fortunately there still is a powerful British climbing tradition in the Greater Ranges, but this site is not the right place for it. Pity.
Over and Out

jon 15 Jul 2015
In reply to jcw:

To be fair John, 150 years isn't a nice round number like 100 years. It is however a lot rounder than 125 years when there were all sorts of celebrations in Zermatt (probably aimed more at filling their coffers than saluting Whymper...) Of course old Ulrich who participated is no longer with us youtube.com/watch?v=u9XKrambrC0&

Hilary tells me that they were supposed to be closing the Hornli ridge to climbers for this year's event - can this be true? Anyone know? Of course, maybe you're right, a lot of today's climbers don't care.
 jcw 15 Jul 2015
In reply to jon:
My post talked about all the other marvelous things done in the Alps in 1865, not just thé Matterhorn. Look at all those other fantastic first ascents.Name of crag!!!
Post edited at 21:51
 jcw 15 Jul 2015
In reply to jon:
In any case we been upstaged by some crack at Brimham which already has eight posts!
 jon 15 Jul 2015
In reply to jcw:
I think this is just as astounding: http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/2655953/Snake-Dike-50-years

Edit: that's not really the right word. We think of the Matterhorn first ascent of being in a completely different era, which it was of course. But Snake Dike is more our era - and yet it was 50 years ago...
Post edited at 22:39
 jcw 15 Jul 2015
In reply to jon:
Possibly, but I can't open it. If you consider it as interesting as the Old Brenva and the Verte that's your choice ad I'm sure yiu have your arguments for it But at least it shows some interest in a potentially interesting discussion. Suggest you wade in on the Brimham crack also to make sure you keep up with the UKC scene!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...