UKC

campsites in the Pyranees

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pete Wimbush 14 Jul 2015
we're heading out to the Pyranees this August for a few weeks to do some walking. Can anyone recommend a good area + a nice campsite to aim for?
 Doug 14 Jul 2015
In reply to apw:

The Pyrenees are quite large, might help if you narrow the choice a little, France, Spain ? (even Andorra), what style of walking ? - pleasant strolls in the valleys or tough multi day treks ?
OP Pete Wimbush 14 Jul 2015
In reply to Doug:
We'll probably do a mix of mountain walks and easier valley walks. Day walks not multi day treks. We're looking for somewhere to base ourselves for a week or so with good access to the hills. Probably not Andorra. I've been to Gavernie and Pic de Midi Osau (don't know if I've spelt that right!) before, but it was a really long time ago. A good campsite recommendation would be helpful as well. We've got a bit of time, so we can be quite flexible with where we go.
Removed User 14 Jul 2015
In reply to apw:
Why not try the Eastern Pyrenees as the weather is generally better.
This site is near to a lake with a variety of watersport facilities, high ropes course, cafe etc as well as having a large number of superb walks going up to nearly 3000m.

http://www.camping-lac-matemale.com/

Mike
www.pyrenean-trails.com
In reply to apw:

Thanks for the info ..... I'll check it out.
 Seymore Butt 14 Jul 2015
In reply to apw:

Stayed in Auzat near tarascon a few years ago, lovely area. Lots of camping about. Good day walks, cycling- mountain and road (see TDF on the col de lers later this week), also via ferratas and climbing if your interested.

Al
In reply to Seymore Butt:

Thanks....I'll look into it. Probably just walking , not climbing this time.
 goatee 14 Jul 2015
In reply to apw:

Axe les Thermes is superb for walking and has very good access links with rail etc. Tarascon sur Ariege equally good. Further east you can use the "yellow train" to access practically the entire east Pyrenees.
 Tom Valentine 14 Jul 2015
In reply to apw:

My personal favourite is the Cirque de Lescun.
Some excellent 2000m+ peaks, one of the most charismatic French villages I've ever been to and an excellent campsite a short distance away.
The only problem is that to get from village to campsite you have to drop down a substantial way to cross the river. Makes the walk home a bit of a trek late in the evening.
 sheeny 14 Jul 2015
In reply to apw:

lots of sites around Torla handy for the Ordessa great walking area
we stayed in one nearest Torla on the tight as your facing the Gorge very nice clean and friendly, just cant remember the name, sorry
OP Pete Wimbush 15 Jul 2015
In reply to apw:

Thanks to everyone for advice and suggestions. I'll get the maps out!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...