UKC

Alternative to a MacBook Air ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Doug 14 Jul 2015
My now ancient Asus EEEPC netbook is not going to last much longer & although its been very good for the price, I need to replace it. I have desktop computers at home (iMac) & at work (something from Dell) so what I need is something very portable for when travelling on which I can use WORD, EXCEL & Powerpoint (or Open Office equivalents at a push). I've tried my partner's tablet & find it frustrating for anything more than browsing websites. Not bothered about operating systems (already use Linux, Windows & OS X & have used others in the past). A MacBook Air 11 inch looks nice & would do all I need but is maybe more powerful & expensive than I need. Any suggestions for alternatives ?
 Neil Williams 14 Jul 2015
In reply to Doug:

I wouldn't buy a new generation Macbook Air due to the lack of ports. Maybe a used older-generation one would be good?

Neil
craigloon 14 Jul 2015
In reply to Neil Williams:

Are you confusing the MacBook Air with the new 12" Macbook, which only has the one USB-C port for data and power? All MacBook Air models still have 2 x USB ports and a separate power input.
OP Doug 14 Jul 2015
In reply to craigloon:
That was my understanding, maybe I should check.

edit to add
Deux ports USB 3 (jusqu’à 5 Gbit/s)
Port Thunderbolt 2 (jusqu’à 20 Gbit/s)

So yes the MBAir still has 'old style' ports
Post edited at 17:59
In reply to craigloon:

Yes, sorry.
 sxrxg 14 Jul 2015
In reply to Doug:
Dell xps 13 is amazing and having the infinity display is tiny for a laptop with a 13" screen. Probably a little expensive for what you are after though.

Another option could be the Asus ux305. A core m powered laptop that is very thin and light.

If you can deal with a screen smaller than 13" then maybe consider the surface tablets and keyboards. Probably depends on how much typing you expect to be doing on the go though.

It may however worth holding out slightly longer though as with windows 10 being released at the end of the month I expect to see lots of new hardware being released.
Post edited at 18:34
OP Doug 14 Jul 2015
In reply to sxrxg:

was thinking of something with a small screen, anyone have any experience with the Asus Eeebook X205TA ? Much cheaper than the MBA (200 to 250 Euro) but what's it like to use ? no doubt slower but annoyingly so ? (at least I wouldn't be so worried about it being stolen)
 Kimberley 14 Jul 2015
In reply to Doug:
I don't believe there is an alternative without significant compromise. Yes I'm a complete 11" MBA devotee !

Get rid of the iMac at home, get a monitor, ideally Thunderbolt but lots of cheaper options and use your MBA alone for travel and desk

I bought my current MBA early 2014 on eBay, hardly used and works perfectly, go for the 4MB 256gb model or greater.

I'm not convinced about the new one port models, but I'm sure we'll get there...
Post edited at 20:42
In reply to Kimberley:

I have a Pro, it's not much bigger/heavier and has a vastly better screen.

Neil
 RobOggie 14 Jul 2015
In reply to Doug:

Personally recommend the Alienware 13 or Lenovo Thinkpad X250, I replaced an old MacBook Pro with the Alienware and haven't looked back!
 IMA 15 Jul 2015
In reply to Doug:

Prefer my personal air to it, but my work Toshiba Portege is good and I'd be ok with recommending it (bigger than 11 inch though)

As soon as you want light you are looking at ultrabooks which are all pricey.

Perhaps worth considering a Surface Pro3.
Removed User 15 Jul 2015
In reply to RobOggie:
You are aware that Alienwares are overpriced gaming rigs, right? They are the Windows equiv of macs, pay twice as much for the guts because there's an apple/alien on the front. OP please don't spend £2k for Dell's proprietory gaming laptop to run office. In fact, don't buy Dell anything. Terribad support and their laptops are balls.
Post edited at 08:42
OP Doug 15 Jul 2015
In reply to Kimberley:
> Get rid of the iMac at home, get a monitor, ideally Thunderbolt but lots of cheaper options and use your MBA alone for travel and desk

Not an option (unless I buy 2 MBAs) as the iMac is shared & is used when I'm away

To all, thanks for the comments, seems most of the alternatives are either larger (so I guess heavier) or just as expensive
maybe it'll be another Mac
 kevin stephens 15 Jul 2015
In reply to Doug:

I went through the same debate and am very pleased with my Dell XPS 13, for me it was an equal match to the MacBook pro without the risk and cost of migrating my programmes from Windows to IOS
 Dax H 15 Jul 2015
In reply to Doug:

I have a 10" lenovo think pad, £170 from pc World, runs windows 8 and is touch screen as well as having a keyboard.
I bought it because it's small enough to chuck in my tank bag when I go touring.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...