UKC

South Wales guidebook

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RobOggie 14 Jul 2015
Greetings,

Come September, I will be going to university! However, this means leaving the idyllic gritstone land of West Yorkshire for the city of Swansea. This means that I could do with picking up a new guidebook but as I don't really know the area, I could do with a little advice from people who do.
I'm looking for one with the best possible coverage of the area surrounding Swansea, I'm mainly a trad climber, but a little sport mixed in is always good for a change!
Thanks
Rob
In reply to RobOggie:

The cheapest and most up to date option is to look on SWMC wiki then print off approp' pages. Trad and new sport climbs included FREE
 stephenarnold 14 Jul 2015
In reply to RobOggie:

Gower Rock is the new and best guide can be bought from local indoor wall Dynamic Rock.

Anoetic 15 Jul 2015
In reply to RobOggie:
In the short term use the wiki, in the not too distant future there is a new guide coming out that might be worth the wait.

I'm also sure that after climbing in the idyllic surroundings on the Gower peninsula, and Pembroke grit stone will be a distant memory 😉
Post edited at 09:00
 The Pylon King 15 Jul 2015
In reply to Anoetic:

> In the short term use the wiki, in the not too distant future there is a new guide coming out that might be worth the wait.

Which guide is that?
 d_b 15 Jul 2015
In reply to RobOggie:
The SWMC wiki is pretty good, but doesn't cover absolutely everything in the old SWMC guide.

The Old SWMC guide has lots of stuff in it but is an inconvenient size & shape, has an allergy to topos and you will spend your life wandering up and down going "OK, so X is to the right of Y which is half way between W and Z but are you sure we are at the right crag?"

The newish Gower Rock guide has excellent topos and directions but not that many routes. It does hit most of the best ones though.

These days I use the newer guide for orientation and either wiki printouts or the old guide to find the in between routes.

Being in Swansea you could always just hook up with the SWMC or uni club and get shown around of course.
Post edited at 10:46
 d_b 15 Jul 2015
In reply to Pylon King Against Capit@lism:

There used to be a bunch of companies that scraped wikipedia for articles on different subjects, printed them into booklets and offered them on amazon for ludicrous prices to the gullible. Maybe I could do that with the SWMC wiki
 andrewmc 15 Jul 2015
In reply to RobOggie:

I found the Rockfax PDF guide to sport on the Gower typically Rockfax (i.e. completely useable and with a wide range of routes).
 Bobling 15 Jul 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

> The SWMC wiki is pretty good, but doesn't cover absolutely everything in the old SWMC guide.

> The Old SWMC guide has lots of stuff in it but is an inconvenient size & shape, has an allergy to topos and you will spend your life wandering up and down going "OK, so X is to the right of Y which is half way between W and Z but are you sure we are at the right crag?"

Haha spot on! You forgot the awful font (type and size) and weird paper - still love that guidebook though.
In reply to stephenarnold:

> Gower Rock is the new and best guide can be bought from local indoor wall Dynamic Rock.

There is a lot more climbing in the area obviously not covered in the "selective Gower Guide". This guide also lacks details on more important deveopements on Gower such as Shipwreck/Mermaid wall. For info on all of S.E wales-valleys sandstone,Dinas, Ogmore etc the wikki is your best bet and as a future student note that it's free.
In reply to Pylon King Against Capit@lism:

> Which guide is that?

A roach fest,coming soon or sooner.Good for anyone who finds reading difficult but not many trad routes in it.Your best bet for trad info would be to borrow the old SWMC guide then go to Llangattock.
 The Pylon King 16 Jul 2015
In reply to freelunchprovider:

Eh?

What is a roach fest?

something to do with fish?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...