UKC

Cleaning a Sigg type bottle?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean Kelly 14 Jul 2015
I mostly use juice (hot in winter) in my water bottle and the inside is black with bits breaking off into my orange/apple juice. Any advice on how to clean as hot water and soap have obviously failed? Will I die!!!
 Sharp 14 Jul 2015
In reply to Sean Kelly:
rice sometimes works to clean things you can't get in, put a handful or rice in with diluted beach then shake like f*ck and rinse out a few times with hot water and washing up liquid. If you're sqeemish about bleach then just use washing up liquid. You can soak the whole thing in diluted bicarb including the lid and seal which gets rid of smells.

If black things are breaking off the inside it's probably time to throw it away, especially if it's a sigg "type" bottle and not an original.

I replaced a cheapo sigg type bottle with a stanley one when it started to get wee floaters inside, nice wide opening and just solid.
Post edited at 20:54
 cragtyke 14 Jul 2015
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Get some of the sterilising tablets for baby's bottles from a supermarket, they're good for hydration packs and bottles of all kinds.
 gethin_allen 14 Jul 2015
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Will I die!!!

eventually, hopefully not too soon.

Can't you just boil it, chuck it in a big pan full of hot water and simmer for a while.
Anything that breaks off after that is going to be harmless free protein.

marsbar 14 Jul 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:

I don't think the plastic lining will survive being boiled. Sigg bottles are not dishwasher safe.
 gethin_allen 14 Jul 2015
In reply to marsbar:

I didn't think they were plastic lined, and that's why they aren't dishwasher safe, because the aluminium gets eaten by the sodium hydroxide in the dishwasher detergent.
 marsbar 14 Jul 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:

I am pretty sure they are.
 nniff 15 Jul 2015
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Bicarb and sterilising fluid will eat any exposed aluminium - most likely around the thread. Get a baby bottle cleaning brush, long soak in really hot water with washing up liquid and give it a good scrub. Repeat. Rice in a little water and some mental shaking may help.

Next time, wash it out every day.

Yes, you'll probably catch something nasty and extrude yourself painfully though your own backside. That's why Tour de France riders only use bottles once and throw them away (they're biodegradable)
 Neil Williams 15 Jul 2015
In reply to marsbar:

I put mine in the dishwasher and it's been fine.

Neil

ultrabumbly 15 Jul 2015
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I left one half full with Gatorade for about 3-6 months once in a warm kitchen. Truly nasty. Managed to get it all out with brushing and shaking with bicarb. Shaking with washing up liquid just foams and stops the water hitting the sides as hard when you shake.

just to add to the baby bottle brush thing. Superdrug do one now that is foam at the tip and has an extendible handle so it is ideal for getting into corners.

http://www.superdrug.com/Munchkin/Munchkin-Bottle-And-Teat-Brush/p/999983#....

Another tip is after you have let the bottle drain you will find that beads of water will stay in a Sigg even when upside down for ages as much as you shake it. I nab the missus hair dryer and if you alternate between blowing hot air over the opening and heating the outside you can get it bone dry for storing with the lid on in a minute or so.

If you have gunk stuck inside it rather than any lining peeling it then warming and cooling probably helps to descale it too. If you think it is a lining (I think they changed material of the liners 10 years back or so)coming off then sieve the water as you pour it out to inspect. Chuck it if it is obviously flakes of such.
 Guy Hurst 15 Jul 2015
In reply to Sean Kelly:

AFAIK Sigg bottles do have a coating of some sort on the inside, and the acid in fruit juice doesn't do it any good, nor the aluminium underneath. Get a Nalgene bottle instead, and wash it out regularly.
Rigid Raider 15 Jul 2015
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Monobloc aluminium cans are indeed lined with a sprayed-on lacquer, which protects the alloy. If the bottle gets dented the lacquer can crack and then it will begin to drop off in black flakes. Sometimes the lacquer isn't complete and deterioration sets in around the edges.

Dishwashers are extremely hot and caustic and only good for washing greasy dishes and oil contaminated bicycle disc brake pads. Alloy bike parts will come out with an interesting pitted look - guess how I know this?
 GridNorth 15 Jul 2015
In reply to Sean Kelly:
I converted to a hydration system bladder, without the tube, after reading horror stories about both aluminium and Nalgene bottles. It has the advantage of packing away flat when not full. I keep it in the freezer when not in use and it's still in good condition after regular use for a couple of years.

Al
Post edited at 15:49
cb294 15 Jul 2015
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Dishwasher tablet, boiling water, leave standing in sink for 5min (in case the gunk bubbles over...), hey presto!

A few mins will not harm the oxidised layer on the inside.

CB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...