UKC

Ecrins/Ailefroide conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave Richards 15 Jul 2015
Anyone been there, out there now with ideas of conditions? Looking to do some peaks from the Glacier Blanc and Ecrins huts next week. Cheers!
 Duncan Beard 16 Jul 2015
In reply to Dave Richards:

Judging by the lack of response to my query on the same topic, looks like there's no-one there at the moment?!

We are going 24th July so if you get the the chance to post conditions next week, at least I will be interested!
OP Dave Richards 18 Jul 2015
In reply to Duncan Beard:

It certainly does sound quiet regarding ecrins conditions. The warm weather is a bit concerning and I was hoping for some up to date info. I'll do my best to report when I'm out there.
 Slarti B 18 Jul 2015

We were there wc 29 June so may be a bit out of date. I have been there 4-5 times over last 6 years and temperatures in Ailefroide were highest I can recall for the whole week.

Mainly rock climbing but we attempted the Roche Faurio from Ecrins hut. Left Ecrins hut at 4.15 and it did not feel at all cold. Conditions were fine till the sun came up out when the snow very rapidly turned to slush. Lots of avalanches visible and we heard one (or maybe serac fall) coming from the Barre des Ecrins side as we were climbing.

We turned back before summit; it was first time on a glacier for the guys I was with and I was worried about crevasse/avalanche risk. Quite a few teams on the Barre also turned back early and it looked like they were taking great care (belaying across) on a couple of the crevasses half way up.

So, if these conditions have continued I think snow cover on the glaciers will be poor, making crevasses more dangerous. Start as early as you can!

Have a good holiday.
 pdone 18 Jul 2015

http://www.refugedupromontoire.com/en-direct/

If you can read a bit of French then this website will tell you about conditions around La Meije. The hut guardians produce a daily blog.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...