UKC

Holiday Reading

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GravitySucks 15 Jul 2015
Ok, you 'culture vultures' (or not) it's family holiday time and I'm looking for some pulp fiction to indulge in at the pool side between bouts of debauchery at the dinner table and an exhausting stroll to the local taverna ! Since you lot have read every book ever written (collectively) some suggestions would be much appreciated. I am not looking for 'literature' just some light reading with engaging plot lines and believable characters would be good. Genre is not particularly important although I would probably have to draw the line at 'chic lit' and I don't really do historical.

Any recommendations gratefully received (apart from the inevitable vote for Fifty Shades or any of its derivatives)

Thanks
 Bobling 15 Jul 2015
In reply to GravitySucks:

I read "Deliverance" (yes the book of that film, author James Dickey) on my family holiday a couple of weeks back. It was good, worth it.
 tony 15 Jul 2015

Anything by Peter May - detective/thriller type stuff, very easy to read.
 Trangia 15 Jul 2015

John Masters' First World War Trilogy

Now God Be Thanked
Heart of War
By the Green of Spring

Follows the fortunes of a number of families from the same fictional town in Kent, before, during and after the war, jumping between those at home and those at the front.

Very readable and historically accurate so far as the time line and major events re concerned.

They are all on kindle now.
 GridNorth 15 Jul 2015

Why on earth do you want to go on holiday to Reading?

Al
 BusyLizzie 15 Jul 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

I was just going to say the same - saw the thread title and thought why come here for hols??

Fraser 15 Jul 2015

I've just finished 'Lamentation' by C.J. Sansom, which was superb. It's a real page turner, even moreso if you have already read the first 5 books in the series, although it's not totally necessary.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lamentation-The-Shardlake-Book-6-ebook/dp/B00K6ECRO...
 AdrianC 15 Jul 2015

Christopher Brookmyre. Some of his books formed a vague series, I think Quite Ugly One Morning was first.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...