UKC

Bobo Borneo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pete cain 15 Jul 2015
Planning a trip to Borneo and found a reference in Lonely Planet to a to an "astonishing vertical shaft of rock thrusting skyward out of the jungle for hundreds of metres, known as Bobo. It has never been climbed, locals say". Google does not have any reference to it nor indeed has this site. Any body out there with info please.
 Neil Amos 15 Jul 2015
In reply to pete cain:
You are probably looking for Batu Lawi, in the kelabit it highlands of Sarawak near the remote village of Bario.

It has been climbed several times but not very often. A north face team went there in the early 2000s including Sam lightening junior and put up a new route. I think the original one is about HVS but the newer on is harder. There is a book by the above geezer called 'all elevations unknown' about the climb and the fascinating history regarding the spires ( there is a smaller subsidiary peak) I have trekked very close to it and have flown incredibly close to it and worked in the area.

There are a couple of ways into it. One is via a flight to Bario and the other is overland up logging roads. I may be able to put you in contact with someone who could arrange guides? I think though overall the climbing is the easy bit. The objective dangers of the nature on and around the route will provide plenty of challenge.

Having said all of that it was over ten years ago since I was there and things could have changed in terms of travel into the area

Look at this... http://sarawaktourism.com/attraction/batu-lawi/

Mail me for more info, would love to climb it......
pete cain 15 Jul 2015
In reply to oldcheese: Thank you old cheese from a very mouldy old cheese. I will "check out" the data/info. Thanks for the offer of more info , will be in touch regarding this particular issue and others in the region, Thanks again, Peter
 rpc 15 Jul 2015
In reply to pete cain:

Here's an old-ish trip report from a Malaysian team:

http://arinpetit.blogspot.com/search/label/Batu%20Lawi%20~%20Malaysia%27s%2...

Looks spectacular. Would love to know more if you end up trying it.
pete cain 16 Jul 2015
In reply to rpc:

Thanks for your response.
It seems like a pretty tough undertaking with serious amounts of money. More research necessary I think.
 Mal Grey 16 Jul 2015
In reply to pete cain:

Not sure the Lonely Planet reference is the same as Batu Lawi, as the village LP says is "3 hours walk from Bobo", Tanjung Lokang, is quite a long way SW of Batu Lawi (like 350-400km), if Google Maps is to believed. Can't see a "shaft of rock" near Tanjung Lokang though....

Interesting stuff, I do like a good google earth exploration of somewhere I've never been and will likely never go.
 Theo Moore 16 Jul 2015
In reply to pete cain:
I volunteered in the Bario area about 5 years ago, building eco-lodges and campsites for sustainable tourism.

As part of this trip, a group of us summitted the Batu Lawi subsidiary peak. It was about a week's round trip, and you will definitely need a local guide to get there.

Trekking to and from the summit was itself an amazing experience, and I remember seeing the spire you are talking about.

According to local legend, there was once an identical spire of rock on the subsidiary peak which a spirit of the forest knocked down in anger. This rock now lies in the jungle below.

We heard that a group of local hunters were in the area of Batu Lawi, and one hunter described how when he was asleep he felt something rocking his hammock. He kept his eyes closed and, assuming it was his mate playing a prank, told him to get lost. The rocking continued and got more violent. He opened his eyes and there above him stood a ten foot tall 'white man' - a huge man dressed from head to toe in white and shining - the human form of the spirit of the forest.

The hunter jumped out of his hammock, shouted to his mates, and they all legged it.

I met the hunter in a bar (the local tradition is to go to church on a Sunday (area was swamped with missionaries during the war) and then get smashed on cans and play pool straight after) and he didn't look like he ran from much!

The area of jungle around Batu Lawi is supposedly protected from logging, but when we were there 5 years ago illegal logging was getting closer and closer to the mountain. Our guide said that it was indeed encroaching. When our guide Rian (a grown man and hardy jungle tough guy) saw the extent of the logging, he burst out in tears.

I'm still friends with Rian on Facebook (surprisingly Bario has a good internet cafe!) and I'm sure I could put you in touch.

As I mentioned we built an eco-lodge when we were there, and there are now multiple lodges/camping areas in the jungle, which you can trek between etc.

Borneo is amazing, and I thoroughly recommend your trip whilst being massively jealous.

If you'd like any more info feel free to contact me.

Theo.
Post edited at 13:31
pete cain 16 Jul 2015
In reply to Mal Grey:

Hi Mal
Thanks for your response, I was also doubtful about the relationship between Bobo and Batu Lawi and intend to research further.
pete cain 16 Jul 2015
In reply to theomoore:

Hi Theo
Thanks for the info I may well take you up on your offer, but first more research as to the actual location of Bobo as distinct from Batu Lawi which I suspect are not the same pinnacles.
pete cain 16 Jul 2015
In reply to Mal Grey:

Hello again Mal.
My initial research bears out what you say, I estimate that the two locations Bobo and Batu Lawi, are indeed in the order of 400/450 Km apart.
In the interest of furthering my quest I quote from page 251 of the Lonely Planet guide,June 2013 :

"About 3 hours walk from Tanjung Lokan is an astonishing vertical shaft of rock thrusting skyward out of the jungle for hundreds of meters. Known as Bobo, it has never been climbed, locals say. A recent National Geographic expedition, the first to investigate the area, discovered the remains of a 5000 year old settlement strewn with artifacts nearby. A good circuit and investigation would probably require a day, and can be combined with the Muller Trek, which passes nearby. This is raw exploration, of a kind increasingly difficult to find."

Sounds interesting.
 Mal Grey 17 Jul 2015
In reply to pete cain:

Yeah, that's what I found, and used to make my assumption (which may or may not be correct! ) Didn't have much luck with a search further than that for info of things around Tanjung Lokan, nor could I find any images.
pete cain 18 Jul 2015
In reply to Tom Last:

Hi Tom
Thanks for the link.
Looks like it fits the description. Have you any more info/data?
? Where etc.
Thanks again.
P
 Tom Last 18 Jul 2015
In reply to pete cain:
Sorry I don't, never been to Borneo, but would love to some day.

I googled "Muller Mountains" limestone and hit images.

This came up on a website about local trekking. Might be worth giving them a shout? Good luck!

Link is: http://www.extremeborneo.com/kalimantan-tour-activity/Kalimantan_Climbing.h...
Post edited at 20:41
pete cain 19 Jul 2015
In reply to Tom Last:

Hi Tom
Thanks for your response, as previously said "more research needed", but that's all part of the fun and adventure.Due to visit about mid/late September overland from Thailand into Peninsular Malaysia,and onward to Borneo/Malaysia,so better get cracking. Intend to climb Mount Kinabalu at some stage,but will keep my kit on! (Recently topical issue).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...