UKC

Climbing/sleeping estate car question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 17 Jul 2015
I'm looking for recommendations for an estate car. It must have the following features:

Long enough in the back for a 6ft 2 climber to sleep without curling into a ball.
The back seats must fold down flat
They back seats must be removable.
Roomy...I like the idea of one with a 'sharper' boot/roof angle rather than curved as this seems to give more useable space.

Thoughts appreciated.

R
 Robert Durran 17 Jul 2015
In reply to Roberttaylor:

I have had a Focus estate and a Ce'ed estate which certainly meet the first three criteria. I am 6ft 5in and can fit very confortably to sleep if I slide the front passenger seat forwards and fill the rear footwell with rucksacks etc (they've got to go somewhere anyway!) under my pillow.
 neuromancer 17 Jul 2015
If you want all that plus cheap to fix and run reliable and comfortable you're looking at mondeo and Passat estates.

The other Germans are all 'lifestyle' aka sporty looking and small. Volvos are heavy and only big in the very big less fuel efficient models and also tend to cost more to fix (the v50 etc are 3 series touring sized and small).

Aim for the smaller diesel (2 rather than 2.5 or 3) and more mod cons eg cruise and under 90k and you'll be laughing!

Could be worth looking at a Renault kangoo equivalent?
Post edited at 21:45
 GridNorth 17 Jul 2015

I've just spent a perfectly comfortable night in my VW Passat and it's a saloon.

Al
 Col Kingshott 17 Jul 2015
Hello,

Best car I had for this was a 57 plate Toyota Avensis, after the facelift (59 I think) they changed the design. Not sure if this would be too old? I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure they have the biggest boot in class and are also rated for carrying a decent load. I really liked mine, till someone decided to kill it by smashing into me. Got a 59 plate Honda Accord at the mo and it's not as good.

Regards,

Col.
 ActionSte 17 Jul 2015

My friend and i used the back of a suzuki ignis on our last trip for 10 days. Cheap, reliable, and loads of storage underneath the boot
 NottsRich 17 Jul 2015
In reply to ActionSte:

Used to have a 306 estate. Fine for me at 5'8" but not a lot of space. From experience a Volvo V50 would be too short, and the rear suspension takes up a silly amount of room in the boot anyway. The E46 320d might be ok, and can be got for pretty cheap if you know what to look for/avoid. Passenger seat forwards and bags in the rear footwell to fill the gap as mentioned above. The glass in the tail gate opens as well as the whole tail gate which is a feature I really like. Leaving a windown ajar for ventilation lets in a bit of rain, but the rear glass doesn't let a drop in. Would help if you had a budget?

What about something bigger like a Picasso etc? Not very much fun to drive, but a bit more practical to sleep in if that's what you mainly want it for?
 Ciro 17 Jul 2015

I had a Citroen C5 estate, because it was one of the roomiest boots on the market. Did me well for climbing trips - I put 50k on (90k on the clock when I bought it) with very little trouble.
 Dave Williams 17 Jul 2015
Focus/ Golf sized estates are probably too short for your needs.

Our 2006 Audi A6 estate easily accommodates two 6+ footers with the seats folded, with no cramping or compromising. A Mondeo estate is at least the same size and maybe even slightly bigger. The back of a Passat estate isn't quite as commodious, but it's probably big enough as well. A Saab 9-5 estate would do the job too and can be bought relatively cheaply s/h.
Post edited at 23:26
OP Roberttaylor 17 Jul 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

Budget is sub 4k second hand. Thanks, forgot that!

R
 aldo56 18 Jul 2015

I picked up a 2004 mondeo diesel with 70k for £1700. It does everything you ask and has been solid so far. Recomended.
 m dunn 18 Jul 2015
In reply to Roberttaylor: Citroen Picasso/ Renault Scenic etc meet all of your criteria; although not estates.

Wsdconst 18 Jul 2015
Buy A hearse,it's already geared up for someone lying in the back.
Post edited at 14:47
General Lee 18 Jul 2015
In reply to Wsdconst:

What about an ambulance?
 malk 18 Jul 2015
In reply to m dunn:

yeah, the Xsara Picasso is a cheap option- got mine for £500 with sunroof for stargazing
haven't actually slept in it yet though. a bit shorter than estates (no prob for one as you can stick your head/feet between the front seats) but significantly more headroom..
 ChrisJD 18 Jul 2015

Did you also see this thread?

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=619817
 Fraser 19 Jul 2015

> I'm looking for recommendations for an estate car. It must have the following features:
> They back seats must be removable.

I'm not convinced that any of the suggestions so far meet this criterion, but stand to be corrected.

Depending on the type of driving you're planning on doing, the Volvo V70 (diesel) would maybe be a decent option. They're actually very fuel efficient on runs, despite what has been said above. I have an old style (B5) Passat estate, which does have fold-flat back seats, but wouldn't take you at 6'2" without slight 'compression'. It's nice and square-backed, is a good load hauler and the bomb-proof diesel gives a long term average of more than 50mpg. Not sure about the other suggestions, but the older Accords always looked like they would have a large boot space, so I was surprised at the earlier comment saying it wasn't great.

Wsdconst 19 Jul 2015
In reply to General Lee:

Would be useful if you hurt yourself, has a bed and lots of drugs, it's a winner
Removed User 20 Jul 2015

I'm happy with my Kia Cee'd SW. 150.000 km on the clock and no problems so far, so I guess it's reliable enough.
 JCurrie 20 Jul 2015

VW Touran has removable back seats and you'd easily fit in. I think you need to have a bit of wood to bridge the void left by the removed seat for when you want to sleep, but that would be pennies.
Jase
 climber34neil 20 Jul 2015

We have a honda frv which looks a bit strange due to having 3 seats in the front but the back seats fold down flat and give a really big space in the back, loads of room for sleeping and gear
 rogerwebb 20 Jul 2015

Saab 95 Estate, doesn't have removable back seats, but very good in snow and is very impact resistant (I walked away).
A lot more for your money than a passat or audio.
Removed User 20 Jul 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

>The E46 320d might be ok, and can be got for pretty cheap if you know what to look for/avoid.

Great cars but too wee for the OP's wishes. Old BMW diesels can get expensive too.

OP: Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra?

OP Roberttaylor 21 Jul 2015

Thanks for all the advice, I'm looking through all the options now. Any thoughts on using a people carrier in lieu of an estate car? Thought it might give more useable space, headroom in particular.

R

Skoda Roomster, excellent for sleeping in, seats can come out easily aswell (30 seconds) theres a video on Swiss Room box website with a Roomster being slept in using a roombox conversion (£2600) . I've made my own DIY version of this, it cost around £40 in materials and works a treat.
 nathan79 21 Jul 2015

You're also probably more likely to get removable seats in a people carrier. VW Touran is well worth a look. It was on my list when I was looking for something I could sleep in. (Lost out to a Kia Ceed estate on mpg, road tax and what was available at the time).
ice guru 22 Jul 2015
forget a car. Far far better off with a VW transporter, small transit or Vito. I have brought a vito for £3,500, and got 2 seats out of a boeing 747 that was being refurbished - by trawling the internet and contacting airlines directly. Much more practical than a car, and you can use it as a camper van as well. My Vito does 40MPH, and has a top speed of 100mph.
 JimboWizbo 22 Jul 2015
Me and my partner have used my Hyundai i30 estate for long road trips, sleeping in the back (on a double air bed!). A roof box made the long road trip possible (all the camping and climbing gear stayed up there while we slept).

I have also used it in place of a tent for stop overs in Llanberis pass, I'm 5 foot 10 and I'm comfy sleeping in there.

Good economy too and reasonably priced.
Post edited at 14:06
 Pedro 22 Jul 2015

+1 for Toyota Avensis Tourer. (just going to get another, so a 60 is up for sale!)
 jimtitt 23 Jul 2015

> Thanks for all the advice, I'm looking through all the options now. Any thoughts on using a people carrier in lieu of an estate car? Thought it might give more useable space, headroom in particular.

> R

I use the previous model Galaxy, 2.3m long sleeping and you can sit upright and move about even with a storage layer underneath. I´d never go back to an estate car (we have a Subaru Forester as well) as my back and joints would complain too much! Being able to stand upright under the open tailgate is nice as well.
 Andy Morley 23 Jul 2015
In reply to jimtitt:

> I´d never go back to an estate car (we have a Subaru Forester as well) as my back and joints would complain too much! Being able to stand upright under the open tailgate is nice as well.

The definition of 'estate car' seems to be becoming increasingly blurred as the passage of time and design modifies car body-shapes across the board. I recently brought a car that matches the OP's specification exactly, that has pretty much the same footprint as a biggish (though not enormous saloon) and is fine for popping down the shops, but with enough space to easily convert into a micro-camper. My wife, who is 'petite' as they say, loves driving it and prefers it to her small Skoda hatchback for trips locally. It cost me just over £8K a couple of months ago, had 16,000 miles on the clock and was 3 years old. Its onboard computer informs me that I am regularly getting well over 50 mpg and the manufacturer claims up to 60 for it. It's neither a conventional estate car, nor a people-carrier, nor any other of those labels as they appear to be used by automobile marketing departments, but to be honest, I don't really care.

The reason I'm being coy about saying what it is, is that I'm in the early stages of a business-venture to produce a micro-camper based on this vehicle and I don't want to steal my own thunder pre-launch. However, my business partner and I will be advertising for beta-customers early next year, looking for people who would like to have any suitable vehicle they own converted, on a commercial basis to be agreed. Ahead of that, anyone who wants to register an interest is welcome to message me and we can chat about it and about what vehicle to go for (I should just mention I'm about to take the prototype to France for three weeks for field-testing so as from early next week, I won't be around for a while).

I'm really excited about this project and I have to say, the benefits of having a vehicle that is both a family car and has the possibility for extended trips look to me to be enormous. Gone are the days of the space, fuel and money-guzzling camper-van sitting on the drive unused for nine tenths of the year, at any rate, for those people with imagination and flexibility of the creative kind, without even needing any contortionist-style flexibility, thanks to the better design of modern cars!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...