UKC

Tilak ventile

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GarethSL 18 Jul 2015
Hi all,

I'm curious to know if anyone has come across the ventile jackets from Tilak?

Whilst in my opinion that ventile anoraks which generally appear in the UK are outright ugly and lack any clear form, design or quality, (with the exception of the Albam Alpine) these seem to be a little more engineered.

Has anyone managed to get their grubby fingers on one?

I like the concept of ventile, the Mrs has an old ventile pullover that I steal every now and again, which works nicely so I'm mooching for a ventile jacket that is a little more technical for myself.

Dave the Rave 18 Jul 2015
In reply to GarethSL:

They look very nice. Are they double ventile?
I used to have a survival aids double ventile, lovely jacket with a good hood.
Let down by the lack of taped seams at the shoulders.
It was very good in the cold and dry, but with heavy rain it leaked at the seams and became stiff.
I'm seriously considering a new ventile when my ancient Changabang dies, as I sweat a lot, and like the idea of no membrane. It's all a con really the breathable waterproof.
The Snugpak Arctic Smock looks functional too at a reasonable price £195, but I think it's single layer?
OP GarethSL 18 Jul 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

From what I understand their ventile line is single layer, I looked at the klattermusen line of cotton jackets too which is similarly well designed but not officially ventile. Also single layered.
 Brownie 18 Jul 2015
In reply to GarethSL:

Snugpak Tempest is double ventile very waterproof but also heavy, as are their overtrousers.
B
In reply to GarethSL:

> From what I understand their ventile line is single layer, I looked at the klattermusen line of cotton jackets too which is similarly well designed but not officially ventile. Also single layered.

Mmm. I had the single layer ventile wind proof too. This was definetly not waterproof and probably not suited to british climate. But, very hard wearing . I used to cycle in it and it coped well with the occasional falling off.
As the last guy who posted said, double ventile is heavy, especially when wet.
In reply to Brownie:
Is it taped? I wouldn't choose that version for hill wear as the hood and lack of chinstrap/face protection let it down along with the hip pockets.The Antarctic version looks better.
nikkormat 18 Jul 2015
In reply to GarethSL:

I've looked at the Tilak ventile jackets in outdoor shops over here (Czech Republic), but I've not tried one on. I own a Tilak Gore-tex jacket, and it is very well made, nicely cut and well designed. The brand seems to have a very good reputation.
 Brownie 18 Jul 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Hi Dave

no not taped, but has three layers of ventile on shoulders, I wore a Westwinds version of the tempest at work for 10 years and it never leaked, it had velcro wrists and fixed hood, but was basically the same design. Was dam heavy though esp when wet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...