UKC

1967-68 climbing logbook facsimile

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I've just copied most of my 1967-68 climbing logbook (big photoshop job) and assembled it as a 'flipbook' using the amazing free Yumpu software. It may be of interest to other old timers who started around the same time. It shows just how fanatically keen I was at the age of 17-18, the climbing logbook, complete with diagrams of every climb, being something of a labour of love. Unfortunately the first pages of the first climbs I did in 1966 have been torn out, probably because I was later embarrassed by all the tree climbing and buildering that were included.

http://gordonstainforth.apps-1and1.net/1967-68-climbing-logbook
 jon 19 Jul 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Very nice, Gordon. What is striking to me is how your drawing improves.
 Tom Last 19 Jul 2015

What a lovely record, thanks for sharing it
 goose299 19 Jul 2015

Looking forward to reading it.

Don't think I could be bothered to do such a detailed log when I started. Thank god, ukc was about or I'd have forgotten most routes I've done
 Doug 19 Jul 2015

Interesting;, I kept a climbing diary for the first couple of years I was climbing (so from about 16 to 18 or so) stopping about the time I went to university. I know it was in a loose leaf folder previously used for school but I don't know what happened to it - thought it was still at my parents & probably in the loft with a lot of other old books & stuff but didn't find it when we cleared the house when it was sold a couple of years ago. But mine never had any drawings - did you draw them in the 'field' or where they based on guide book diagrams ?
In reply to Doug:

> Interesting;, I kept a climbing diary for the first couple of years I was climbing (so from about 16 to 18 or so) stopping about the time I went to university. I know it was in a loose leaf folder previously used for school but I don't know what happened to it - thought it was still at my parents & probably in the loft with a lot of other old books & stuff but didn't find it when we cleared the house when it was sold a couple of years ago. But mine never had any drawings - did you draw them in the 'field' or where they based on guide book diagrams ?

I can't remember exactly, but yes, I certainly used guidebook diagrams for many of them. But others, like Hardd, I just had to make up from memory (or perhaps from a photo?) because there wasn't a guidebook diagram. Thing's like Noah's Warning and Lavaredo were almost certainly done from photos.
In reply to Doug:

Extra point. Certainly not done in the field. I did the whole of the summer of 68 entries as soon as I got back to Hertfordshire at the beginning of September. Notes based on notes in a diary, iirc.
 Tom Last 19 Jul 2015

Quite a jump up to Haard after your first "full blooded" VS just two days previously
In reply to Tom Last:

> Quite a jump up to Haard after your first "full blooded" VS just two days previously

Well, it wasn't planned. We'd gone to Tremadoc and it was pouring with rain, so we sat in the car wondering what to do. Another car pulled in alongside, the driver got out - it was Eric Jones, who was at that time staying in the same campsite as ourselves in Nant Peris. We thought he was some kind of hillwalker. He said: 'Do you want to go climbing?' Where, we asked. 'I know just the place,' he said. 'Carreg Hyll-drem. It'll be dry because it's overhanging!'

In the event, John teamed up with Eric Jones, and I teamed up with his mate, another Eric. Of course, EJ had no problems whatever, and John followed him just fine (said his standard went up about 2 grades that day!). Unfortunately my Eric couldn't do the first 5c crux so I never left the ground - I was green with envy re. the great day John had had with EJ.
 Tom Last 19 Jul 2015

Haha great story - sure you had plenty of adventures with EJ thereafter.

Incidentally, at what point relative to this logbook does your Fiva epic occur?
In reply to Tom Last:

> Haha great story - sure you had plenty of adventures with EJ thereafter.

No, we never climbed with him again. Years later (in 1983), when he was running the Tremadoc cafe I said hullo to him again and he couldn't remember me from 1968. But a really nice guy.

> Incidentally, at what point relative to this logbook does your Fiva epic occur?

The following summer, 1969.

I may eventually put up the next volume of my log book which goes to about 1972. But it hasn't got drawings in it.

I really enjoyed reading your first logbook, definitely a labour of love. The sketches are very good lively yet accurate and not overworked. Look forward to the next volumes. How did you find the Yumpu software to use? I might try it to digitally record my sketchbooks.
 The Pylon King 19 Jul 2015

Brilliant
In reply to Christheclimber:

I found Yumpu very easy indeed. You simply create a pdf of single pages (not double page spreads), and it does all the rest. The hard work with that early logbook was all in the Photoshop preparation.
 Postmanpat 20 Jul 2015

> Unfortunately the first pages of the first climbs I did in 1966 have been torn out, probably because I was later embarrassed by all the tree climbing and buildering that were included.
>
I've still got my topo guide for my house which I made when I was 14!! Sadly the house has since been demolished.
In reply to Postmanpat:

Can you let us see some of your guide?
 Postmanpat 20 Jul 2015

> Can you let us see some of your guide?

It's just a diagram. Quite funny but no sketches like you have (which are very good by the way!)
Removed User 20 Jul 2015

Can you link direct to the 1967-1968 pdf? Your website seems to be trying to load something through flash which we have blocked.

Brilliant record of dedication Gordon, thanks.

What actually amazes me most, though, is how did your OP attract two 'dislikes'. Who on earth are the people who could take offence to that, and want to register it?
In reply to Removed User:

> Can you link direct to the 1967-1968 pdf? Your website seems to be trying to load something through flash which we have blocked.

I suppose the flipbook needs Flash. I don't particularly want to put the single page pdf version on my main website, but here it is archived in my secondary web site:

http://www.gordonstainforthbelper.co.uk/pdfs/1967-8ClimbingLogBook-officequ...
Removed User 20 Jul 2015

Appreciate it!
 SenzuBean 20 Jul 2015

Was having a flick though, seeing the pictures, and I saw one and thought "that looks like Tennis Shoe" - and it was! That means your drawings are pretty good, and considering that I've never been on Tennis Shoe - that I'm a nutter for memorizing a climb I didn't even do.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...