UKC

New route acknowledgement?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gary Coggon 20 Jul 2015
Having posted what I think is a new route a month or so go, what should happen next - should I expect some sort of notification or other follow-up at some stage?

Thanks
Gary
 Simon Caldwell 20 Jul 2015
In reply to Gary Coggon:

Depends on who you posted it to!
In reply to Gary Coggon:

There is no national system for recording new routes as different areas are covered by different guidebooks, hence different groups of people. Also, there are many first ascent claims made that are either too trivial or done before. No-one is in any paid position to check this sort of thing and it can be quite a task to check, especially if a new print guidebook isn't in preparation.

UKC Logbook is the nearest thing to a national route database so logging it on here will at least get it catalogued on the correct crag. Include as much data as possible with your ascent. Referring it to any existing routes and buttresses makes tracking down possible duplications much easier. You probably won't receive an acknowledgement of this from the crag moderator but the route may go from 'unverified' to 'verified'. If it stays at 'unverified' then that may be because the moderator isn't active. There is a 'Can not be verified' status which is used where information is missing, or the claim may be thought to be too minor.

Another alternative would be to check the current guidebook and send them a report. I suspect the response to this varies from publisher to publisher. Speaking from the Rockfax point of view I would just point you at the UKC Logbook as above, but I know other producers do have a central location for new route claims.

Alan
OP Gary Coggon 20 Jul 2015
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Thanks for going to this trouble, Alan. Posted on UKC under 'Add a missing climb'. Best. Gary
 Simon Caldwell 20 Jul 2015
In reply to Gary Coggon:

The UKC database is basically used for people to log the routes they have climbed. It's not intended as a central repository of routes. So the acknowledgement you'll get depends on what the moderator chooses to do. Many will do nothing, other than approving the submission (some not even that!). For the crags that I moderate I will usually email the person submitting the route and see whether they know what they need to do to report it 'officially' - ie to let the appropriate guidebook team know about it.
Some guidebook authors will check UKC for new routes. But many (probably most) won't.
 Puppythedog 20 Jul 2015
In reply to Gary Coggon:

Where was your first ascent?
 Michael Gordon 20 Jul 2015
In reply to Gary Coggon:

Send it to the appropriate guidebook area author. Not a lot to be gained from putting it on UKC (unless you think it may interest folk).
OP Gary Coggon 21 Jul 2015
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Ah, OK - thanks, Michael et al. For some obscure reason, I'd formed the impression that possible new routes would be picked up by moderators and fed to Rockfax and guidebook authors. I'm healed now... Thanks again. Gary
 Offwidth 22 Jul 2015
Having cleaned and climbed a classy E1 at Cratcliffe on the Grimoire block (and despite it being logged with ascents) I discovered it on Rockfax as a different route, missing the crux top section (the part that needs traffic to keep it clean). This happened because someone put in a fully detailed retro-claim for the first pitch in the window just before Rockfax went to print (the moderator didnt spot it and I missed the chance to update it). Hence, I for one would strongly recommend putting details up on UKC as well as via any definitive submissions route.

The other advantage is obsessive folk like me will climb and comment on it (sadly most of the newly claimed easier stuff on the more popular Peak grit edges is shite but there have been a few real gems). For anything below E1 its always worth looking at our Offwidth site as we try and log everything in that range; albeit the site is currently a bit out of date while we try and catch up with new lines and discrepancies from 3 newish guidebooks (and I think Churnett updates will have to wait for next year as we tried to provide more variations on stuff for those operating below f6B, which the new guide doesn't list).

http://offwidth.uptosummit.com/guides.html
Post edited at 10:49
 Andy Nisbet 22 Jul 2015
In reply to Gary Coggon:

I presume it's not in Scotland, but if it was, then there is a central point for collecting new route descriptions. You send to me as SMC new routes editor and the description will appear on the internet in due course. My e-mail address is on the SMC website.
OP Gary Coggon 24 Jul 2015
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Thanks, Andy - actually it was, so will be in touch. Gary
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 24 Jul 2015
In reply to Gary Coggon:

Result!

Many of the climbing clubs have a system of reporting new routes, some are listed here:

http://www.climbonline.co.uk/new_routes.htm

bpmclimb 06 Aug 2015

> Send it to the appropriate guidebook area author. Not a lot to be gained from putting it on UKC (unless you think it may interest folk).

Hmm… I don't really agree with that. I've prepared scripts for various recent guidebooks, and FWIW I've always used the UKC database (and logbook comments) as one of my primary sources of information. In fact, because UKC has become so widely used, one could argue that guidebook authors are somewhat derelict in their duties if they don't refer to UKC.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...