UKC

Campsite to Avoid

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PanzerHanzler 22 Jul 2015

Avoid this site - just phoned to be greeted a very grumpy individual. Despite being advertised in the Rockfax for Northern England the Highburn House Caravan & Camping nr Wooler do not entertain groups camping, this was confirmed by phone and looking at their website it has the following message “SORRY NO GROUPS PERMITTED”, seems a bit strange and anti-social but they are obviously doing so well that they can throw money away. So that one is out. http://www.highburn-house.co.uk/tariff.htm

So unless you are soloing don't bother. So if two people have separate tents they are a group and not allowed but if they share a common tent they are not a group and are allowed - bonkers. Is this a glowing example of Northern hospitality?
Post edited at 19:52
 malky_c 22 Jul 2015
In reply to PanzerHanzler:

Very common in the Lake District - many of the most popular campsites are family only. Presumably to keep rowdy groups away. I remember arriving in Windermere about 15 years ago with a mate to spend a week backpacking. We had to go halfway back out to Kendal to find somewhere that would let us in. At the end of the week it took some persuading the folks at Hawkshead campsite to let us stay.
 Dave the Rave 22 Jul 2015

> So unless you are soloing don't bother. So if two people have separate tents they are a group and not allowed but if they share a common tent they are not a group and are allowed - bonkers. Is this a glowing example of Northern hospitality?

No. It's a glowing example of northern logic. You probably pissed him off in some way?
 Timmd 22 Jul 2015
In reply to malky_c:

What's to stop people turning up one by one?
 Timmd 22 Jul 2015

> Is this a glowing example of Northern hospitality?

I'm from the North and very hospitable.
Clauso 22 Jul 2015

I'm northern, and I don't like you either... Don't ever ask to camp in my back garden.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 22 Jul 2015

Do really not have a clue why they don't want 'groups' there?

Chris
 The Lemming 22 Jul 2015

Bloody northerners.

Watch this informative Government Warning.

youtube.com/watch?v=y37ocMI53xo&
Andy Gamisou 22 Jul 2015
I'm a northerner and I hate everyone - either groups or individuals.
Or myself.
Post edited at 20:54
 Dark-Cloud 22 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Nothing, which is what you would do with any sense !!
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Nothing, which is what you would do with any sense !!

I agree that it is a test by the owner to whittle out the retards.
 Timmd 22 Jul 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
> Nothing, which is what you would do with any sense !!

To be fair, I guess two blokes approaching a site and finding out they both count as a group to their surprise, isn't a sign they're not thinking.

It just the first thought I had, 'How can you sneak through?'
Post edited at 21:16
 JJL 22 Jul 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

You really need to broaden your vocabulary
OP PanzerHanzler 22 Jul 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> Do really not have a clue why they don't want 'groups' there?

> Chris

Going by the online reviews they turn lots of people away for spurious reasons seems single mothers are a no no. Just sounds like outright snobbery.
 Wsdconst 22 Jul 2015

I'm northern, we don't like your sort around here,so piss off
In reply to JJL:

> You really need to broaden your vocabulary

Fecktard!
 Oldsign 22 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> What's to stop people turning up one by one?

Gandalf tactics ftw!
 John Kelly 22 Jul 2015

There is a problem on campsites, campers have different ideas of what is acceptable behaviour on the neighbouring pitch, this usually revolves around drink, noise, language, music, dogs, kids, and ball games. All these issues increase in frequency and intensity as group size increases. Reducing group size is a simple and effective way to minimize these problems however being grumpy about it completely unnecessary.
 ByEek 23 Jul 2015
> “SORRY NO GROUPS PERMITTED”, seems a bit strange and anti-social but they are obviously doing so well that they can throw money away.

Perhaps they are raking in the cash from campers keen not to end up next to an anti-social and noisy group of people partying into the night?

After spending a night in a nightmare campsite full of nothing but groups, we now seek out these sort of sites so thanks for the recommendation.
Post edited at 08:47
Rigid Raider 23 Jul 2015
In reply to ByEek:

I've never had a decent sleep in any large campsite in the last 30 years. It's wild camping only for me - why would I want to pay to park my tent on some grass anyway?
 timjones 23 Jul 2015

Sadly groups all too often shatter the peace and tranquility that they want to off their guests.

It's a valid marketing strategy, move along and find another site or consider the blindingly obvious ways to meet their rules.
 ByEek 23 Jul 2015
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> I've never had a decent sleep in any large campsite in the last 30 years. It's wild camping only for me - why would I want to pay to park my tent on some grass anyway?

Because wives and kids (and me to be fair) appreciate hot showers!
 jkarran 23 Jul 2015

It's not a northern thing, I've come across it in Devon in the past. We turned up after a long drive, four lads in a car and were told 'No groups. Families and couples only'. "Fine" I said, "we're gay couples" thinking I was sick of driving and just wanted to stop for the night. "No gays either!".

The place we eventually stopped was even stranger!
jk
In reply to ByEek:

We always take our flock of geese when camping in sites popular with groups. I like to make sure I am top dog when mixing with other antisocials
 spenser 23 Jul 2015
I stayed there as part of a club trip a couple of years ago, we all turned up in separate cars in the middle of the night having travelled up from London and then got robbed for the campsite fees in the morning. There's a huge number of families camped there at weekends who certainly weren't particularly quiet in the mornings. Depending on the size of your group it may be worth speaking to the YHA in Wooler, they let DofE groups camp on the front lawn so if there are no other groups there you may get away with that.
 Neil Williams 23 Jul 2015
In reply to jkarran:
> It's not a northern thing, I've come across it in Devon in the past. We turned up after a long drive, four lads in a car and were told 'No groups. Families and couples only'. "Fine" I said, "we're gay couples" thinking I was sick of driving and just wanted to stop for the night. "No gays either!".

A risky policy given that that's a criminal offence. Though it might well have been obvious you were trying it on

Neil
Post edited at 11:40
 Flinticus 23 Jul 2015
In reply to Neil Williams:

I was thinking that as well. Could work though if you used this tactic from the off. Would ge interesting to see how any campsite would handle (if they refused entry) both the offence and the inevitable social media backlash and then the organised mass visit by LGBT couples!
Jim C 23 Jul 2015

There is one like that in Oban, it caters for families, and does not want mini buses of 'rowdy' youngsters.

I think this is fair enough I booked in to the one in Oban that had this policy as I'm an old fart that likes my pease and quiet.
 Sharp 23 Jul 2015
It seems a lot of sites are going down this road and it's something we keep considering where I work. We've had stag groups running around naked, loud music up until the small hours of the night, drunks stealing food and going into other peoples accommodation. Sometimes groups of families are much worse than stag/hen groups, turning up with loud speakers smoking weed and getting wasted. Some we've managed to throw off the site, some have been too aggressive and unfortunately because camp sites are private property so you can phone the police but they refuse to help until actual violence breaks out.

Every year we have rowdy groups on the camp sites and the inevitable fall out of angry customers wanting their money back because their kids didn't sleep and the ensuing bad reviews on Trip Advisors. I can totally understand why camp sites don't allow groups. We still do but it's a massive ball ache. Most groups (stags and hens included) are fine but you need to have a well publicised groups policy, get them to designate a group leader/responsible person keep their card details, take a big cash deposit etc., employ night watch men who patrol the camp site during the night, make it explicit when they book and when they arrive that you regularly throw people off the site for noise...it's a hassle I imagine a lot of camp sites just can't be goosed with.

It's a shame that these days you need to be a dick to everyone to try and catch out the tw*ts amongst us, even then they still get through. This year we had a group which we banned last year phone up to book in under a different name...didn't realise till the day after, same shit, complaints, bad review on trip advisor, refunds etc. etc.
Post edited at 12:33
 Trangia 23 Jul 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

and then the organised mass visit by LGBT couples!

That would constitute a "group", so in that particular set of circumstances they wouldn't be committing an offence by refusing them entry
johnboybuchan 23 Jul 2015

It's just a few rowdy groups like The Rolling Stones and Oasis that spoil it for everyone...
johnboybuchan 23 Jul 2015

The Ipswich Mountaineering Club's badass reputation has spread further than we realised Andy! Maybe try Scotland, they probably ain't so fussy 'north of the wall' < ducks and awaits sh*tstorm!>
 Ridge 23 Jul 2015
In reply to Sharp:

Good points there. Must admit large groups / families at camp sites put me off camping there.
 Timmd 23 Jul 2015
In reply to Oldsign:

> Gandalf tactics ftw!

What are Gandalf tactics?
 La benya 23 Jul 2015

We got turned away by several sites, as a group of five guys around Newquay during the summer. The next one we went to we used the gay couple routine (and someone on their own) and it worked perfectly. If you use it from the off, I can't see anyone calling you out. And if they do, you can have even more fun calling the police and making their life miserable for a bit/ ruining their business.

We also had success on a different trip just explaining our situation to the lady in the hut, using my well spoken Home Counties demeanour and winning smile. If they believe that all you want to do is sleep there after climbing or surfing all day, and thus would be too knackered to do any harm, they seem to soften.
Lusk 23 Jul 2015
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

We just park our caravan wherever we like!
ceri 23 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:

"You shall not pass"
 Oldsign 23 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:
> What are Gandalf tactics?

When turning up uninvited with a butt-ton of sweaty dwarves, always stagger your arrival. You'll have to read The Hobbit I think he does it twice. I'd recommend flicking past the pages of dwarf songs though, and rip out the Tom Bombadil chapter before you start
Post edited at 22:11
 Timmd 23 Jul 2015
In reply to Oldsign:

Ah, got it now, I quite like the Tom Bombadil character who lives in the hillside.
 Uluru 23 Jul 2015
In reply to jkarran:
Ha ha I had a similar experience in Devon. I was camping with a friend of mine also female and we were told no 'gays'. This was about 8 years ago. We were going to point out that our friendship was purely platonic but decided we'd prefer to give our money to someone less prejudiced.
Post edited at 22:39
 Oldsign 24 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:
Nothing against Tom personally, I just hated Tolkien's songs.

Actually might have had more to do with my mother's singing voice when she first read them to us...
Post edited at 12:27
 Wingnut 24 Jul 2015

I've had the "Families and couples only, go away" thing when turning up on my own. Can't help but think that's missing the point as regards preventing anti-social behaviour, in that it's rather hard to have a noisy party when there's only one of you!
 Timmd 24 Jul 2015
In reply to Wingnut:
I had a thought that perhaps it's their way of stopping groups from sneaking in one by one?

If I wanted to remove any chance at all of groups appearing it's probably what I'd do.
Post edited at 14:10
 deepsoup 24 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:
So how would you stop groups from sneaking in two by two?
 Timmd 24 Jul 2015
In reply to deepsoup:
I've no idea.

Good question though...
Post edited at 16:34
 Andrew Wilson 24 Jul 2015

Couples better than a 2 climbers sleeping in separate tents?
Not always! We stayed as a family of 4 at a site in Glencoe a few years ago and the couple nearest to us insisted on driving their car through the site to the toilet block every time they needed the bog/brush teeth/wash up. They also were partial to loud shagging during the day, thankfully he was a 2-pump-Charlie so the embarrassment was short lived.
As others have said I prefer sites with a few starchy rules these days, peace and quiet much preferred. The more tutting leathery skinned pensioners the better.

Andy

Andes 24 Jul 2015
We've stayed there and it seemed nice enough, sometimes just a small group 9me and my wife), other times with several friends. Never had a problem with being classed as a group.
The ducks are ferocious but, will eat all your food!
 Mike Conlon 25 Jul 2015
In reply to PanzerHanzler:Interesting as High Holburn was the base and accomodated several groups for last month's BMC North East Festival of Climbing. I was impressed by how laid back the management were when we arrived and during the stay. Ironically the only disturbance was from one young family who having arrived late in the evening, thought it acceptable to play loud music from the car as they set up.
 JimSh 25 Jul 2015
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Always been made very welcome there. Always been part of a group.
Jim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...