UKC

Easy but interesting walks round Llanberis?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 24 Jul 2015
My sister, who is currently undergoing chemotherapy, is taking a holiday in Llanberis. She used to be a keen walker, but is very weak at present and gets very tired, but she wants to get out as much as possible. Can anyone recommend some not too strenous but interesting walks in the area? Maybe up to about an hour?

Also places of interest to visit in the general area? She will have a car.

Thanks in advance
In reply to Trangia:

She might find this article useful - What to do When it Rains in Llanberis: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=7428
 Mal Grey 24 Jul 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Afon Glaslyn gorge near Beddgelert, as part of an enjoyable driving tour round the Snowdon massif? There are plenty of other nice spots to stop off for a wee wander on the route too, maybe up into Cwm Llan, or lake side along Llyn Gwynant.

I guess the bus up to Pen-y-Pass and a walk into Llyn Llydaw would be an option to put her amongst the mountains if she can put up with the likely crowds.
Similarly, from Ogwen up to Idwal puts you in a spectacular location.
 neilh 24 Jul 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Plenty of routed paths around the slate quarries, and you can always catch the little steam train!
 gd303uk 24 Jul 2015
In reply to Trangia:
An interesting walk quite easy?

from bus stop walk up a gentle slope to , view point and Dali's hole, up through Watford gap across the top off the big hole Twll Mawr, and back.

and another nice short walk would be from the Pen Y Pass car park (free walk up to the lake Glaslyn or Llydaw and back

or walk from Ogwen cottage up to the Cwm round the lake and back. nice and gentle walk to a great area.
Post edited at 10:31
In reply to Trangia:
There are several signposted walks around the slate museum / hospital area at the eastern end of the lake, including one of around 9-10km that goes all the way around the lake, mainly on well made tracks and with the hospital museum, an a couple of tea rooms for breaks if needed - just follow the posts with the white band at the top.

Further afield there are lots of potential places - Anglesey coastal walks are generally fairly flat, and a visit to Newborough forest /Llanddwyn Island or the walk from Aberffraw to the island church at Porth cwyfan are worthwhile.
The walk up to Aber Falls would also be suitable - around 4km on a well made gentle gradient track.
Post edited at 11:02
OP Trangia 24 Jul 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Many thanks to everyone. I've passed the suggestions on to her, and she's now wending her way up to Wales to be joined by her children and grandchildren.

Some great suggestions there.

I particularly like the Idwal walk which will get her into the mountains.

All she needs now is a spell of fine weather.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...