UKC

Socks for a sweaty fellow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm walking 30 Wainrights in 24 hours at the end of August to celebrate my 30th birthday.

The issue I have is that on any long (20miles +) walks that I do, my feet end up with blisters from the ball of my feet, to 3/4 of the way across the foot, and the sides of my heels. I've walked in different boots, with the same outcome. I think it may be down to the fact that my feet are very good at self lubricating (.....I get quite sweaty feet).

I was hoping the oracles of UKC/UKH could recommend me some socks that will stop this happening.

I don't really walk in anything special at the moment, just non-descript walking socks. Is it worth lashing out on some uber-expensive ones?

Any pointers would be great.

Thanks
Steve
Lusk 27 Jul 2015
In reply to I'd rather be climbing:

Try smearing your feet with Athletes Foot cream.
Works for me at keeping the sweatyness and stink foot at bay
 Siward 27 Jul 2015

Maybe try '1000 mile socks' with a wicking inner (or a liner sock with your current setup)?

Or bring a few pairs of socks with you and change regularly?
YoshiK1 27 Jul 2015

I've not really been hillwalking and tried this method however I do get sweaty feet also. I used Scholl Fresh Step foot deoderant and it always kept my feet dry and smelling fresh haha!

Good luck with the walk.
In reply to Siward:

Thanks for the suggestion, I've just ordered some, will give them a dry run first (if you'll excuse the pun).

Steve
 london_huddy 27 Jul 2015

You could always take a couple of extra pairs with you?

I'd also look at getting a proper boot fitting at somewhere like profeet if you're struggling to ever get boots to fit properly...
 Toerag 27 Jul 2015

You're best to stop your feet sweating in the first place - this means keeping your legs cold, and perhaps even your body cold. This has worked well for me. Apart from that, 1000 mile socks are by far the best thing for blister avoidance, and sealskinz waterproof socks also work well if your boots aren't waterproof anymore.
 Wingnut 27 Jul 2015
In reply to Toerag:
>> sealskinz waterproof socks

They retain truly epic quantities of sweat. Seriously, my feet looked like I'd just spent all day in the bath or something.
 Wingnut 27 Jul 2015
When you say different boots, any difference in sweatiness between goretex-lined ones and just plain leather?

Denzil 27 Jul 2015
In reply to I'd rather be climbing: with blisters on the ball of your foot it sounds like it may be worth checking the size of your boots, and considering insoles such as Superfeet. If the arch isn't supported well enough the foot can lengthen as your weight comes on it, resulting on blisters on the ball of your foot.

Big Steve 27 Jul 2015
What you need are a pair of SherpaX socks, buy them only from www.sportssocks.co.uk They are technical socks but much cheaper than competing brands
 Pbob 27 Jul 2015
In reply to I'd rather bbing:

I have a similar issue. Try some wigwam 100% polypropylene socks. Same stuff as smelly hellys. Point is that they wick really well and don't absorb much.

>>I've walked in different boots,

Are these full on 'walking boots'? Have you tried using fell running trainers instead?
I have similar sweaty foot problems and find using a lightweight and highly ventilated shoe such as Inov8 Roclite to be much better, and the occasional wet feet from not having a goretex membrane makes things better, not worse!
 Wainers44 28 Jul 2015

On the last LDWA 100 I saw a lady cover her feet in Sudocrem at the start and she didn't get a single blister!

I agree with Rons advice about the Roclites and carry sealskins socks with you in case it rains hard.

You have probably already tried this but keep your legs and feet as cool as you can, ie wear shorts, ankle socks, but definately no gaiters!

What are the 30 W's??
 rodw 28 Jul 2015

Smart Wool the only socks that I have ever been totally comfortable with expensive but well worth it. Very long lasting
Lusk 28 Jul 2015
In reply to Wainers44:

> What are the 30 W's??

It appears to be yet another random 'Challenge'!
http://www.gofar.org.uk/30wainwrightsat30.html
 Wainers44 28 Jul 2015
In reply to Lusk:

> It appears to be yet another random 'Challenge'!

Oh, right, thanks, yes that is a bit random. I think I would go for a different 30!
Lusk 28 Jul 2015
In reply to Wainers44:

> Oh, right, thanks, yes that is a bit random. I think I would go for a different 30!

You've got a HUGE number of alternatives!
nCr
 Mal Grey 29 Jul 2015

I always use a thin liner sock beneath medium or thick weight mostly wool walking socks. My normal set up is Bridgedale Coolmax liners under Bridgedale Trekker or Summit socks, depending on time of year. Its using the liner that makes all the difference to me.

I tried 1000 Mile socks, and they gave me blisters, something I've never had before or since because of socks! I am the only person I've met who didn't get on with them though.

Big Steve 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Mal Grey:

I dont like 1000 mile socks either, gave me blisters too. SherpaX socks are the way forward
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

I've toyed with the idea a fell-running shoes, may have to take the plunge and buy a pair.

Thanks
 Pedro 30 Jul 2015

Aldi socks ..... When in season !!
adamwilson 17 Sep 2015
Hi, I would recommend avoiding any cotton, nylon socks, instead we can look for specialty socks with fibers they keep perspiration away from the foot. Wool socks also work well, we can try to use breathable shoes such as leather, canvas etc...
 Big Steve 18 Sep 2015
In reply to adamwilson:

Try a pair of Sherpa X socks from www.sportssocks.co.uk they have superb technical socks ideal for your problem
 Jenny C 18 Sep 2015
In reply to Wingnut:
> When you say different boots, any difference in sweatiness between goretex-lined ones and just plain leather?

I am convinced that Goretex are less breathable (so more sweaty) than unlined leather boos. I also don't think it helps that mine have memory foam padding round the ankles - comfy but hot/sweaty.

Don't really see the need for GTX myself, good quality well maintained leather boots can wet out, but usually only in conditions where water would get in anyway via the "big hole in the top". Instead regardless of conditions I always end up with damp feet from them overheating.

TBH on the occasions when my feet do blister I think overheating rather than rubbing is the initial cause of the problem, especially as I am often oblivious of the blister untill I take the book off. Annoyingly, it's also almost impossible to get leather womens boots (except Meindl which don't fit my feet) without a waterproof membrane.

alasdair19 19 Sep 2015

smartwool and goretex lining probably isn't good news but hard to avoid these days.
 meliasen 19 Sep 2015

I have the same issue. I found merino wool sock liners, essentially very thin wicking socks that deter odour, to be helpful! I wear them everytime I hike, no matter the distance.
 wbo 19 Sep 2015
Very thin for me. I have a lot of the Nike Drifit running socks and don't get many problems at all. They are cheap, last well, wick well

1000 mile destroyed my feet. The sealskins wouldn't work for me either - they would chew me up. I like smart wool for thicker socks, but in contrast to the above I find their products, especially the thinner ones do not wear well. They are comfortable tho'

SherpaX I have never seen. Perhaps Steve has a money back guarantee if they chew you up.

I'd wear fell or trail shoes for this. I have no idea if leather or synthetic boots are better as I haven't owned a pair of leather ones for a long, long time.
 Garbhanach 21 Sep 2015
In reply to I'd rather be climbing: Hade a quick scan down and nobody appears to mention spraying anti perspirant on feet this can also be helful in keeping your feet warm in winter, in really hot sweaty conditions changing socks can help avoid wet feet and blisters

Wingnut 22 Sep 2015
In reply to Jenny C:

>>water would get in anyway via the "big hole in the top".
Yes, quite! No such thing as a 100% waterproof boot, and won't be until someone comes up with a design that doesn't need a big hole where your leg goes in.

>>Annoyingly, it's also almost impossible to get leather womens boots (except Meindl which don't fit my feet) without a waterproof membrane.

Yes. Wish Scarpa still did SLs in small sizes, (well, one size smaller than they currently do), they were my go-to boot for donkey's years.
 Jerry67 22 Sep 2015
Basically you're bu**ered! The only thing I have found to work is to tape my feet with zinc oxide tape where I know I might get blisters and keep the tape on until I'm finished.
Good luck,
Jerry

Dave the Rave 22 Sep 2015
Get some potassium permanganate crystals and put them in a bowl of water. Soak your feet in them until they turn a nice brown colour. Repeat every day.
The solution hardens the skin of your feet.

1000 miles ones worked really well, and managed to find a pair for £10, so they didnt cost too much either.

Sadly my ankle worked less well, and I had to call it a day after 12 tops, 15miles, and 1 unexpected trip into some very boggy ground at the Base of Fairfield.
 ScottTalbot 22 Sep 2015
In reply to Jenny C:

> I am convinced that Goretex are less breathable (so more sweaty) than unlined leather boos. I also don't think it helps that mine have memory foam padding round the ankles - comfy but hot/sweaty.

> Don't really see the need for GTX myself, good quality well maintained leather boots can wet out, but usually only in conditions where water would get in anyway via the "big hole in the top". Instead regardless of conditions I always end up with damp feet from them overheating.

I've always felt the same about Goretex. It's not breathable and never has been! I'm on my third pair of waterproof Merrell approach shoes (don't ask me why I kept buying them!?!) and my feet always got wet... Except this third pair, which funny enough, aren't Goretex! These ones are Dry select? Or Select Dry (something like that).. Totally waterproof and breathable!

As for socks, I swear by Bridgedale... I swear at the cost of the bloody things and try to only buy them in sales, but they work for me. I still get blisters mind, but that's probably more to do with my soft southern feet...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...