UKC

Camper vs commuter. Van or estate?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kemics 27 Jul 2015
What with all the UKC articles being posted recently about life on the road in a van, i've caught the bug and decided I want a camper!

The problem/trade off I've encountered is what size of vehicle to get? It would have to be used for commuting (approx 30 mins each way) to work. Initially I thought the perfect compromise would be a combi style van but I'm over 6ft so there seems no way to get a bed long enough into the back.

So it seems like me options are either a swb transit/transporter as a camper, ideal for camping but is it going to be way too costly to run every day? Or some sort of estate where the seats fold flat, which will probably much cheaper to run and insure etc

Has anyone used a camper as their primary vehicle...is there a way to do it that doesn't haemorrhage money?
 radddogg 27 Jul 2015
In reply to Kemics:

I've researched the same thing and in terms of space versus running costs I narrowed it down to Vauxhall Astra Estate 1.3CDTI
OP Kemics 27 Jul 2015
In reply to radddogg:

Have you bought one yet, do you have any experience of using it as a camper? I've heard that vauxhalls can be pretty unreliable. I looked at the vivaro and the reviews where pretty damming (although a different vehicle but same make)
J1234 27 Jul 2015
In reply to Kemics:

Have you looked at the Citreon Dispatch or its Peugeot,Fiat, Toyota variants, in the SWB it has a 6`3 loadbed,or in the LWB it is longer. 40-45mpg, cruise 80 on Motorway, will get into Carparks and under most height barriers and is not as big overall as Transit, Vivaro etc.
 jon_gill1 27 Jul 2015
In reply to Kemics:

I've recently bought a lwb vw caddy and it has over 7ft from the bulk head to the back doors!costing around 15 quid to do 100miles and its not slow in comparison to our golf!could probably do more if driven conservatively!well worth considering imo.
OP Kemics 27 Jul 2015
In reply to jon_gill1:

Yeah I was initially totally sold on the lwb caddy. Someone gave me a quick tour of one they converted to a camper which looked perfect. The only problem I'm having is that the lwb caddy is a newer model only (i think 09 onwards) and even second hand I'm struggling to find one for less than £6-7k which sadly is over budget for me.
 Hat Dude 27 Jul 2015
In reply to Kemics:

I've had a VW Caddy Maxi for 5 years; I'm 5' 11" and can easily sleep in the back.

http://www.kendallcars.com/wp-content/uploads/caddy-maxi-panel-van.gif

Drives more or less like a car & I average approx 44mpg

I've also recently bought one of these tailgate awnings for it which is really good

http://www.riverswayleisure.co.uk/reimo-trapez-rear-campervan-tent.html
Wulfrunian 27 Jul 2015
In reply to Kemics:

Also consider LWB post-2010 Vauxhall Combo/Fiat Doblo vans. Load bay over 7ft long from bulkhead to back door. 1.6 diesels pretty nippy and efficient.
 CharlieMack 27 Jul 2015
In reply to Kemics:

+1 for VW Caddy. I've got the standard one, which for me is perfect as i'm only 5'6. My friend has a standard Caddy and he is 6 foot. He's got a fold down front seat, which he's lined up with the bed in the back. My standard length one does around 50-52mpg vs 44mpg for the maxi.
 jon_gill1 27 Jul 2015
In reply to Kemics:

No mine is a 2008,And you can get older,the problem is lots of places charge tax on top of price but I managed to get mine for 6k. I think if you look hard you could find one cheaper!you just have to act quick if you find a good one!

Weigh the difference in fuel cost between that and a bigger van and long term it could save you money, but I guess if you don't have the readies now that easier said than done!good luck
 radddogg 27 Jul 2015
In reply to Kemics:
> Have you bought one yet, do you have any experience of using it as a camper? I've heard that vauxhalls can be pretty unreliable. I looked at the vivaro and the reviews where pretty damming (although a different vehicle but same make)

Hi, no as I had totally overestimated how much my current car was worth. I thought I could pretty much do a straight swap but I'd need to put about a grand to it so I'll just stick to my tent for now.

Vauxhalls aren't inherently unreliable. In fact I've found them to be as good or better than any other cars I've owned. The Vivaro is a rebadged Renault Traffic so don't let that put you off.

If you want car-like refinement and running costs you want a car really. The 1.3 CDTI engine is actually the excellent Fiat/Alfa Multijet engine. My Grande Punto has this engine and averages 58mpg with £30 road tax.

A van is going to be, well, a van. An estate will give you the pros of a car with the length and flexibility you need to sleep in it.

Have a look here for inspiration
youtube.com/watch?v=_GIlQmW8jus&

You haven't said how much you want it for camping in though. If its to live in permanently then you need a van definitely as you won't be able to sit up let alone stand up in a car. If its just for weekend excursions you can get away with an estate.
Post edited at 18:16
In reply to Hat Dude:

Hi, Have you converted your caddy, and if so have you any pics? Thanks
 James Malloch 27 Jul 2015
In reply to Kemics:

I've just bought a peugeot partner van - so smaller than an ideal van but it will work.

I'm 6' 1" and If I put the passenger seat forward then I can fit in lying down. It'll require a little fold out part to shorten the bed for when the seat is in use but it's definitely doable.

I'm hoping to make the frame tonight so I will let you know how it goes.

Some friends have done the same with partners and berlingos so it's definitely possible!
 cha1n 27 Jul 2015
In reply to Kemics:
I had similar thoughts regarding length but many of the vans/car derived vans have fold flat passenger seats which would give you more length if you slept that side. I'd planned to replace the passenger seat on my Berlingo but never got around to it.
Post edited at 19:05
 AlisonSmiles 27 Jul 2015
In reply to Kemics:

My SWB T5 is my primary (only) motor vehicle. When I first got it, my commute was about 30 minutes each way - it was a good incentive to cycle to work which only took about 5 minutes more. If I wasn't going away in it, and only commuting (winter months mostly), the fuel costs were a tank full a month - back then about £100, now under £90.
 Hat Dude 27 Jul 2015
In reply to radddogg:

> Vauxhalls aren't inherently unreliable. In fact I've found them to be as good or better than any other cars I've owned. The Vivaro is a rebadged Renault Traffic so don't let that put you off.

Vivaros, Traffics & Nissan Primastars are built in Luton by IBC (Vauxhall); there's also a factory in Barcelona that build them but I'm fairly certain that's just LHD.

Hat Dude 27 Jul 2015
In reply to Simonfarfaraway:

My Caddy is a window van with rear seats, I've put in a removable bed platform and a unit with a worktop that goes across inside the tailgate; plus removable curtains made from blackout material.

No pictures I'm afraid
In reply to Hat Dude:

Is that similar to the amdro boot jump concept?

I'm looking into similar small van options. Currently considering a Berlingo because they have 3 seats in the front, admittedly the middle one is small, but having the option to carry 3 people may prove useful
OP Kemics 27 Jul 2015
In reply to radddogg:

Thanks that is a great video. Plenty of good ideas.

Definitely not for living in, but would like to use the vehicle as a frequent camper. I work 12.5 hour shifts, often have a few days off in a row so the plan would be to take lots of short trips. Like once a week? but rarely for more than 3 days. A noble steed for a weekend warrior

I like the idea of an estate, as it'll be cheaper to buy and run. A little less head room but it's not got to be luxury. Realistically I only have about £2k to spend, which could get me a reasonable estate or tatty van...it does also mean I can get an octavia to complete my ukc profile
 Richard Wilson 27 Jul 2015
Just to give you another thing to consider.

Remember that if you use a van then you cant drive at the same speeds as a car.

Car based vans under 2000kg can. So corsa / fiesta van type. Basically it must look like a car on the outside.

A proper camper can also drive at car speeds if its under 3000kg (aprox) & registered as a camper. A home conversion would have to be re registered on the log book so might need an SVA.

So transit / connect type vans are limited to 50 on single carriage ways 60 on dual carriage ways but can do 70 on M-ways.

Tom Valentine 28 Jul 2015
In reply to Richard Wilson:

Has anyone experience of taking van conversions to dumpit sites?

I have a decent sized garden and a bit of a smallholding and have never had any problems with an estate car, but I know a plain panel van can create problems - wondered about crew vans, van shaped people carriers and camper conversions when it 's time to dispose of the hedge trimmings.
J1234 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Richard Wilson:

>

>

> So transit / connect type vans are limited to 50 on single carriage ways 60 on dual carriage ways but can do 70 on M-ways.

Oh dear I thought those were minimum speeds.
 Andy DB 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Tom Valentine:

I was once questioned at the dump but because mine was a camper it was fine. I think the problem is if it is a plain panel van and the suspect you might be dumping commercial waste.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...