UKC

Access restrictions in Llanberis Quarries?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roland.Online 28 Jul 2015
Hi all

Heading to Wales this week, just checking the BMC RAD for Upper Dinorwic Quarries https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/ViewCrag.aspx?id=583 which shows a green light but notes some possible issues around Dali's Hole.

I'm specifically interested in checking out Australia - are there any issues accessing this quarry at the moment?

Cheers
In reply to Roland.Online:

No, Australia's fine. Just follow the BMC advice regarding avoiding large groups and being respectful in the unlikely event that you are approached by First Hydro security.
 kipper12 28 Jul 2015

My undersanding is Dalis hole is out for the forseeable future. AUstralia appears to have no access issues, I have been there three times since Easter with no trouble from first hydro security.
 Oogachooga 28 Jul 2015
In reply to kipper12:

Just out of interest. How far is the walk in from llanberis?

Climbing there in a few weeks and camping. Just wanted a rough idea of walk in/route etc.

Cheers
 gd303uk 28 Jul 2015
In reply to Oogachooga:

you can get to Vivian in 10 mins from Petes.
In reply to Oogachooga:

Where are you camping?

If you're at the campsites opposite the Vaynol in Nant Peris then theres a track that leads up from the Eastern end of Llyn Peris directly to Twll Mawr (about 3km), and then onwards to the Bus Stop.

Alternatively from Llanberis itself there is a path from near the Slate Museum buildings at the Eastern end of Llyn Padarn which takes you up to the Bus Stop (3km) and then along the track into the main quarries.

Exact times / distances will depend where in the quarries you want to go (and how many steps/inclines/tunnels there are to navigate)
 Oogachooga 28 Jul 2015
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Cheers guys.

Looking to camp in llanberis (forget site name - farmers field) and climb in Australia predominantly.

Any recommended camp sites that allow small motorhomes?
OP Roland.Online 28 Jul 2015
In reply to Oogachooga:
Same here.

Two I've spotted are Garth Farm (near Plas y Brenin) and Llyn Gwynant (near Llyn Gwynant - south-east of Snowdon.

Both sound ok from my scant trawlings, but never been to Wales so taking a punt.

Edit: oh I see you said "camp in Llanberis". In that case, there's "Camping In Llanberis" (I'm not kidding) www.campinginllanberis.com

Cheers
Post edited at 21:03
 CurlyStevo 28 Jul 2015

Camping In Llanberis has nice views and is pretty good but its a bit further to the nearest pub and it can be hard to get a flat pitch at the weekend. There is a place opposite the vaynol arms that's ok and flat but quite busy. Depends what you are after.
 gd303uk 28 Jul 2015

Sorry to highjack the thread a little,

for a camp-site in north Wales it is hard to find a better one than Nant Gwynant,
it only just over the pass from 'Beris, its been a great base camp for me over the last few years, highly recommend it and the pizzas and coffee. did i mention you can have a fire

In reply to gd303uk:

I stayed there once with a mate. Absolutely packed out so we had to camp fairly near the entrance. We wanted to get an early start so got into our sleeping bags only for a band to start playing in the barn (?) until around 12.30am, then drunk people stumbling past until well past 2.00am. I'd never been so happy so see rain the next morning so we could catch a few more winks...until the children started running around!

I'm sure it's a good site but it didn't quite align with our needs.
 gd303uk 28 Jul 2015
In reply to David Kirsfelds:

Hi David,
sorry to hear you had a bad stay there, i see a few people camp near the wash block or entrance. both busy areas, the site is a funny shape and away from the stream, on your right when you go in, if you walk through to the back and right of the site there are more fields you can use , even when it feels like a festival there is usually plenty of room there.
give it another go. when it works it is a great camping experience.

i have also had a few bad nights there (2), summer solstice 2010 ( ithink) i shudder at the thought of that night, horrific.
but i have had many more great times at Nant Gwynant. meet a few nice people, chat with your mates around a fire, look up at the milky way, no radios or phones, mostly quiet,
close to some ok crags i believe great friendly staff, and excellent coffee and pizza .
free hot water shower etc.

Oogachooga 29 Jul 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Yeah that's the one I was looking at: llwyn celyn bach
 CurlyStevo 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Oogachooga:

its probably your best bet for midge reduction too being on a more exposed hill side
 afshapes 29 Jul 2015

I've stayed in my van on the road by bus stop quarry. ..nice and quiet.
 Oogachooga 29 Jul 2015
In reply to afshapes:

Cheers mate. I'll look into it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...